• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crabtree, any hope for him or done with him?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I was def thrown off by the injury prone. Knucklehead is more fitting IMO, but hopefully he gets it together.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could put up good numbers if he had speed, could stay healthy and got in actual off-season work. Still not a #1 WR. You don't draft #2 WRs at #10 overall.

I hate to admit it, but I have to agree with this. If Braylon can elevate his game and be the #1 guy, it will be nice having Crab as kind of an upper tier #2 WR. Who knows maybe having Braylon will create a competition between the two and Crab steps up his game some.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabs to me is like one of those players that excels in a winning situation. He's not a Gore or PWill that dominates whether the team is 16-0 or 0-16.

He has shown flashes on some open field moves that have me hopeful he can be a YAC beast..unfortunately, our QB is the worst at giving the receiver a chance to make moves after the catch.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not done completely but my patience is wearing thin on him. How many times does this guy actually show up to preseason?

It's not just because you have talent, but you have to keep working harder and harder each day to become one of the greatest - what's this about blood, sweat, and tears?

Crabbs is just one of those players who enjoys the title of what he does, but isn't willing enough to put the work behind it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabs to me is like one of those players that excels in a winning situation. He's not a Gore or PWill that dominates whether the team is 16-0 or 0-16.

He has shown flashes on some open field moves that have me hopeful he can be a YAC beast..unfortunately, our QB is the worst at giving the receiver a chance to make moves after the catch.

M'eh, you're probably right about this. Crabtree is only as good as his QB, and with the 49ers QBs that means he is barely average. His injury issues definitely aren't doing him or the QBs any favors though. The passing game is all about lots of chemistry and timing, and that only develops when they can actually practice together instead of Crabs missing every training camp.

I still hope he does well with the 49ers, but at this point it seems unlikely that he'll be anything more than a waste of the 10th pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reading through many posts it seems a lot of you are very down on crabtree and have been even before we drafted him. While I can understand why you guys feel this way, i was just wondering who is done with him and who still believes he can put up some good numbers?

Ill admit it is worrysome that he hasnt had a full preseason under his belt and he can be questioned about that. Seems as though its a legit injury and he seems to be working hard in the classroom and his work ethic seems to be pretty good. Is your mind already set on him that he can be nothing better than a number 2 WR to you? He hasnt lived up to his draft # thats for sure but i still believe he can put up some good numbers in this system. Just wondering what all the posters thought on him, i know a few of you dont think much of him at all already lol.

still believe he can put up some good numbers, not NFL elite numbers, but good numbers. not #10 overall numbers, but good numbers.

the question for me is...........will he be around long enough for the 49ers to get SOMETHING decent for #10?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
still believe he can put up some good numbers, not NFL elite numbers, but good numbers. not #10 overall numbers, but good numbers.

the question for me is...........will he be around long enough for the 49ers to get SOMETHING decent for #10?

I think that is purely up to Crabtree. However, if the changes made during this week's practice is any indication, Harbaugh seems to be 'quickly' intolerant of poor performance from the guys who are bustin their chops in practice and pre-season. Given Crabtree's history, I would expect the same degree of tolerance.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm torn on Crabtree. I think he has the talent to be a very effective WR in the WCO. He doesn't have the physical tools to dominate in any scheme, but his talents are well-suited to the WCO. I still believe that he was held back last year because Smith couldn't consistently hit him in stride and wouldn't throw to him in coverage. I can't fault Smith too much for the second issue after Crabtree's performance in the first few games, but Crab was much more consistent at least in terms of catching the ball toward the end of the season.

I don't know what to make of Crabtree, but he really lost me when he crapped on Smith and then stopped practicing. Maybe it was just bad timing and he really did hurt himself that day. It certainly seems that might be true. But it's like the boy who cried wolf. This is his third missed preseason. Even if it's valid, there comes a time where it's just hard to believe.

Ease, you mentioned that Crabtree can't be trusted. That might be a bit strong, but one of his biggest problems is that he can't be relied upon. You can't rely upon him to be where he should be. You can't rely on him to catch the ball. You can't rely on him to have your back with the press. And he's the sort of player that needs to be reliable. He doesn't have the raw physical ability to be a difference-maker or get wide open on a regular basis. His calling card will have to be his routes, his hands, and his ability after the catch. And that means he's got work to do. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to want to put in the work to develop chemistry with his QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He's signed for four more years, so they should get something out of him. How much is largely up to him IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's signed for four more years, so they should get something out of him. How much is largely up to him IMO.

don't know if his "prima donna" perception is REAL or overblown, but assuming its real......he won't last four more years contract or no contract. they'll try to trade him first and if not, cut him.

i know we already got something and likely will get some more, but i'm talking relative to his #10 draft status? will be get something decent or somewhat close expected of that pick?

btw - we ALL know its up to him?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
don't know if his "prima donna" perception is REAL or overblown, but assuming its real......he won't last four more years contract or no contract. they'll try to trade him first and if not, cut him.

i know we already got something and likely will get some more, but i'm talking relative to his #10 draft status? will be get something decent or somewhat close expected of that pick?

I disagree they'll cut him. Possibly trade, but I think even that is unlikely. Crabtree might not live up to #10, but he's already shown he's good enough to be a second or at worst a third receiver. Those guys don't get cut unless they're major problems. According to reports, Crabtree isn't a problem in the locker room or meeting rooms, so I don't see that as being terribly likely. I guess we'll find out, but if his career continues as it has gone for the first two, I have very little doubt he'll stick through his contract.

jakea31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not done completely but my patience is wearing thin on him. How many times does this guy actually show up to preseason?

It's not just because you have talent, but you have to keep working harder and harder each day to become one of the greatest - what's this about blood, sweat, and tears?

Crabbs is just one of those players who enjoys the title of what he does, but isn't willing enough to put the work behind it.

I completely agree with the statement above. He is talented, but I feel that he is the type of player that needs a great QB to be good, and not the other way around. Some WRs make the OB better, but Crabtree does not make that kind of impact. It might be because of the lack of size and/or speed. Hopefully, having Edwards will help his game.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i know we already got something and likely will get some more, but i'm talking relative to his #10 draft status? will we get something decent or somewhat close expected of that pick?

Hey Deep, I thought I would share this info with you as it relates to your point about getting the return we should expect from a #10 overall pick.

The #'s below are the #'s Crabtree would have to hit to fall in line with the other #1's (excluding DHB) and are based on 500 pass attempts.

Rec Yards TD's
83 - 1200 - 12

If Crabtree can hit those targets while Maclin, Harvin, Nicks & Britt each have seasons on par with their previous two seasons, then Crabtree will be on par with those four receivers. As it is right now, he ranks above only DHB for WR's taken in the 1st round 2009.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree they'll cut him. Possibly trade, but I think even that is unlikely. Crabtree might not live up to #10, but he's already shown he's good enough to be a second or at worst a third receiver. Those guys don't get cut unless they're major problems. According to reports, Crabtree isn't a problem in the locker room or meeting rooms, so I don't see that as being terribly likely. I guess we'll find out, but if his career continues as it has gone for the first two, I have very little doubt he'll stick through his contract.

they can't keep a prima donna player if in fact its true? yeah, of course they'll seek a trade first, but if it doesn't happen, they'll cut him sure enough. cause it affects other players.

if he continues to produce at what he's done to date, don't feel that'll be enough to overcome a prima donna/no practice for me/hey i'm hurt, attitude.

btw - NOT jumping the gun by declaring he has in fact a bad attitude, just don't know? or not quite convinced its THAT bad?

for now, lets just agree its overblown so we'll never get this point with Crabs.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he's pegged as our #1 WR, you had better trust the guy will be where he's supposed to be, and when the ball is put on him, you need to trust that he's going to catch it. I think "rely" is too soft a word for a #1 WR. Rely is something that I'd expect in my #2 possession WR which very well may be all he amounts to. I don't hate the guy and I see potential in him, but it frustrates the heck out of me that he's not practicing... again.

This situation epitomizes Crabtree. Maybe he knows his foot is messed up and needs to maximize his regular season performance by staying off of it in the off-season (every off-season). Can you really read between the lines and put trust in him that he's doing everything possible to maximize his performance during games when he's never been on the field in training camp? You know, maybe he actually is doing everything possible to keep himself healthy, but at this point that's why you can't fully trust him. I'd argue it's more than a reliance issue with Crabtree at the core.

I think its the "I think I can rely on this guy to make this play" mentality results in so many AS interceptions. You're not going to consistently throw into coverage to someone you don't fully trust will be where they're supposed to be, and help you out by knocking the ball down to keep you out of trouble. That's Crabtree's problems and he can overcome most of it by practicing consistently to start developing trust.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree is not a problem when it comes to blowing up the locker room, or at least it's not something I've read in the papers. However, just his affect about the sport itself doesn't seem to match other players who live, breathe, and sleep football.

I don't know, perhaps fans, myself included, were spoiled with the dynasty. However, with players such as Rice and Roger Craig (who did their workouts from hell together), and Ronnie Lott (who has publicly commented on his disdain for losing many times), in my mind the bar has already been set. As far as Crabs is concerned, I just don't see that same commitment. He's not into training camp due to a holdout or some injury, his display of alligator arms against the Seahawks in that one game last year, and his obsession for fashion wreaks disappointment to me.

I haven't given up on him completely, but I sure hope Harbs doesn't baby this guy the way Singletary did. From the looks of it, I don't think Harbaugh is willing to put up with this type of crap.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabtree is not a problem when it comes to blowing up the locker room, or at least it's not something I've read in the papers. However, just his affect about the sport itself doesn't seem to match other players who live, breathe, and sleep football.

I don't know, perhaps fans, myself included, were spoiled with the dynasty. However, with players such as Rice and Roger Craig (who did their workouts from hell together), and Ronnie Lott (who has publicly commented on his disdain for losing many times), in my mind the bar has already been set. As far as Crabs is concerned, I just don't see that same commitment. He's not into training camp due to a holdout or some injury, his display of alligator arms against the Seahawks in that one game last year, and his obsession for fashion wreaks disappointment to me.

I haven't given up on him completely, but I sure hope Harbs doesn't baby this guy the way Singletary did. From the looks of it, I don't think Harbaugh is willing to put up with this type of crap.

Excellent Post!!

I'll never say I was spoiled to see the Greats, I'll always say that I simply witnessed how the game was meant to be played and respected. The epitome of, there is no "I" in team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, Harbaugh can't put up with it cause it affects other players. you can't have 53 guys working hard and one guy with "baby treatment"? so to me, contract or no contract, #10 overall or no #10, IF this comes out as bad as it might.........he'll be gone.

he may not have "blown up the locker room".......yet, but as the Davis incident indicated...........it won't take much more. again. lets just hope its not as bad, so we don't even get to this situation.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have very, very little hope for Crabtree. I think physically he's overrated and his character was something I was wary off since Texas Tech. I said he'll be a TJ Houshmanzadeh type WR in the NFL when he was drafted, but that might even be a stretch at this point.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I dislike Crabtree I would still like to see him turn into the all star they envisioned him as when they drafted him. It sucks looking for a new reciever. I justt dunno how realistic that is.