• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys still have plenty of cap space so why no Dak extension?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was making this response in the Jared Goff thread and figured this probably should have it’s own thread.

Based on the numbers there is no reason Dak should not have a contract extension. It just does not make any sense to me. If I am reading this correctly Dallas Cowboys 2019 Salary Cap The Cowboys are still $22 mil under the cap and it looks like this takes into account all the new contracts that were signed. On top of that The Cowboys have a shit ton of money for next years cap and beyond.

Rookie contracts cannot be tore up and renegotiated. So no matter what they were still going to get Dak this year for cheap. If they do an extension now some of the signing bonus can be put towards this years cap thus lowering the cap hits for other years. Based on the current QB contract situations these new deal seem to come with $30+ mil cap hits. Which means either they knew this all along and will give Dak the deal or he is asking for way too much money.

This is not about what we believe Dak is worth. There is no way he gets a deal for less than Goff and Wentz money. So what gives?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Dak sucks ass...

Dallas has a pretty ridiculous making of a defense though. D wins Championships.. they should continue investing in their secondary.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Dak sucks ass...

Dallas has a pretty ridiculous making of a defense though. D wins Championships.. they should continue investing in their secondary.

Jerry said that Dak could carry the team without Zeke though.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there is no rush. Dak is happy where he is, betting on himself. Jerry is happy where he is, still has the tag if he needs it. So the team is letting it play out. Having a motivated Dak is a good thing. If we go out and drop a 7-9 like talking heads are claiming then we will have to take a look at everything.

Reactions: GNG

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been one of Dak's fiercest critics but I'm willing to take a wait and see stance.

I can understand the Cowboys not wanting to pay him top 5 money but they put themselves in that position by waiting. The money is there. So my guess is that they are far apart on what the contract should be. The season starts this week and they are still $22 mil under the cap. There is plenty of money.

Reactions: GNG

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id roll with Rush before extending Dak.

Waste. Of. Money.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already signed a running back.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was making this response in the Jared Goff thread and figured this probably should have it’s own thread.

Based on the numbers there is no reason Dak should not have a contract extension. It just does not make any sense to me. If I am reading this correctly Dallas Cowboys 2019 Salary Cap The Cowboys are still $22 mil under the cap and it looks like this takes into account all the new contracts that were signed. On top of that The Cowboys have a shit ton of money for next years cap and beyond.

Rookie contracts cannot be tore up and renegotiated. So no matter what they were still going to get Dak this year for cheap. If they do an extension now some of the signing bonus can be put towards this years cap thus lowering the cap hits for other years. Based on the current QB contract situations these new deal seem to come with $30+ mil cap hits. Which means either they knew this all along and will give Dak the deal or he is asking for way too much money.

This is not about what we believe Dak is worth. There is no way he gets a deal for less than Goff and Wentz money. So what gives?
Because there’s not a similar argument to be made as with Zeke. Dak is starter quality, but it’s debatable whether he’s in the top half of NFL QBs. Zeke was either #1 or #2 overall, and has been productive as hell since he entered the League.

However, it’s a QB’s league and since the Cowboys don’t have a fallback option or anyone in the system who could be the heir apparent, I expect Dak will probably get a huge payout / extension.

The bottom line is that Jerry Jones believes his team is championship caliber today. He will sign expensive long-term deals to keep good and even mediocre players in place if he thinks it adds up to Super Bowl in 1-2 years.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak may prefer to bet on himself thinking if he waits until mahomes signs his deal, he can ask for more than mahomes gets :suds:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is that Jerry Jones believes his team is championship caliber today. He will sign expensive long-term deals to keep good and even mediocre players in place if he thinks it adds up to Super Bowl in 1-2 years.

I can see that thought process. The Cowboys on paper have the talent to win a Superbowl. They won't because their coaching staff just sucks. It is the achilles heel of Jerry Jones. He can't handle that Jimmy Johnson gets all the credit for their championships and wants the credit for himself. The head coach of the Cowboys is a figurehead position. Until Jerry understands that the head coach needs full control of the staff and player the Cowboys will not win another SB.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still maintain that at the end of the season Dallas will tag Dak while negotiating with him. Then when FA starts Jerry will reach out to TB12 about being the face of Americas team. If Jerry can work something out, he will rescind or trade Dak. TB12 and Jerry will go into business together to make him even more money.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that thought process. The Cowboys on paper have the talent to win a Superbowl. They won't because their coaching staff just sucks. It is the achilles heel of Jerry Jones. He can't handle that Jimmy Johnson gets all the credit for their championships and wants the credit for himself. The head coach of the Cowboys is a figurehead position. Until Jerry understands that the head coach needs full control of the staff and player the Cowboys will not win another SB.
Those are two separate sins Jerry Jones has made as owner. Being his own GM and not giving an HC (or anyone else) roster control is one abuse. The other is in the abysmal management of coaching staff to actually win games. I’m still confused as to what it is Jason Garrett does for the team. Rod Marinelli is the DC, but will Kellen Moore as OC be calling the plays like Scott Linehan did? The last couple of years, all Garrett seemed trusted to do was to throw (or not throw) the red challenge flag.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are two separate sins Jerry Jones has made as owner. Being his own GM and not giving an HC (or anyone else) roster control is one abuse. The other is in the abysmal management of coaching staff to actually win games. I’m still confused as to what it is Jason Garrett does for the team. Rod Marinelli is the DC, but will Kellen Moore as OC be calling the plays like Scott Linehan did? The last couple of years, all Garrett seemed trusted to do was to throw (or not throw) the red challenge flag.

Very good points. I completely agree.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a "walk around" head coach against his will. He was the offensive play caller and was unable to manage challenges or the clock, so they took the duties away. He's not the only HC that has an OC and DC that call plays. Rod and Kris Richard actually both call the defense.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t use up that much of your cap in two running backs. Jerry is probably waiting to sign a QB with his remaining loot.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because soon all supermarkets will be using paper only.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a "walk around" head coach against his will. He was the offensive play caller and was unable to manage challenges or the clock, so they took the duties away. He's not the only HC that has an OC and DC that call plays. Rod and Kris Richard actually both call the defense.
Why not just have Moore or someone else as HC then? It's eerily similar to the Jim Zorn fiasco in Washington, several years back. Garrett gets something like $5-6M a year to do whatever he does- I'll assume it's a lot more behind-the-scenes, meeting management stuff. Garrett hasn't exactly been on the cusp of greatness during his tenure: 2 first round playoff wins, and 3 losses. I'm guessing Jones has some kind of comfort with Garrett there, or believes in some misguided "sunk cost" argument. Getting a new HC / coaching scheme would probably be better.

I think you're on-point with the franchise tag prediction. Dak's the ideal player to use it on, at least as a negotiating tool.