• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys preseason

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early thoughts on draft picks. If feel like sans the injuries we should be better at most spots on defense than last year and that is in part to the draft picks. I think Parsons is as advertised and possibly the best defender in the draft. I am an abashed backer of BPA and he was the guy for me. Time will tell but he may be a star and what our defense needs more than suring up weak spots is a couple of stars who are big impact, game changing players.

Osa and Bohanna also seem like good picks that should strengthen the DL and both (with Gallimore out) may start or at least play significant minutes at some point this year. Bohanna even played some 3 tech last game and showed a lot of quickness and lateral movement in the first two games for his size. Osa looks like a good early down 3 tech with the ability to play a couple of spots. Questions are can they combine with our other players to stop the run and can they get a push up the middle in the nickel.

We really need Joseph or Wright to step up. I wasn't a huge fan of either pick because both felt forced but the need was there no doubt so fingers crossed one or both can contribute year 1. Once we didn't go corner in round 1 the team seemed to have locked in on that spot in round 2 no matter who was left there or at other spots. Joseph missed a lot of time so far but doesn't look even close to a week one starter - which is fine for a rookie and not telling of what he may become. Way too early to declare what he is and hoping to see improvement from him in the next month or two. I do like that he seems aggressive. Wright has exceeded expectations and is ahead of Joseph right now IMO. Wright also has looked good on STs so good chance he is active on game day. Canady seems to be impressing in camp but he has been around enough to know we can hopefully do a little better. Lewis and Brown are JAGs. Both have done some good and some bad since they have been here. Having one or both play significant minutes isn't the worst thing in the world but is part of why our defense has stunk lately. If we cut Brown we save over $4M this year. My problem all along has been resigning our own mediocre players and not bringing in good to real good free agents and then being surprised that we aren't improving. The cap hit of these two this year is over $10M. That gets you a pretty good player. If the young guys step up Brown could be cut at some point. If they don't he is likely our week 1 starter. Diggs looks like he is getting better. I think many overrated how he played last year. He got beat a lot. But, overall, he was OK and showed his potential. Looks like from what we see and hear that he has improved even more which is what you hope for a second year player. He is our chance to have a real good corner this year and it will be huge for the team if he becomes that and I feel like he is going to either this year or next.

Cox is the guy I (and most of us) have felt was going to be one of the steals of the draft. I'm not sure he is what you want to run out there on early downs (at least not yet) and neither is Neal so that keeps Jaylon around and having a role at least for this year. His speed is already evident and he has played a lot of snaps this preseason which I think will really help him. I think he is ready for a week 1 nickel role and I think he and Neal are going to be specialty players that will fill that hybrid safety/LB role that many teams use nowadays. I think he also allows us to move Neal back to an in the box SS if things don't work out back there. With so many mobile QBs in the league today and so many teams running those jet sweeps, playing guys like him can be a huge asset for a defense.

Gholston looks like an IR stash at this point so no idea what he is and the CB/safety has shown a little bit and I'm intrigued by him. I hope he is a good STs guy because I'd like to see him stick around. PS at worst for him. Ball looks like an IR guy and Fehoko I'm not sure. PS at worst but I don't know if he can make the roster unless the team really loves his STs ability more than some other guys. I guess if Brown is cut he could be that blocking WR but I don't think he has a role if Brown is on the roster. I haven't seen the speed he is supposed to have and something looks off when I watch him. Can't judge him on a dozen plays though.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early thoughts on draft picks. If feel like sans the injuries we should be better at most spots on defense than last year and that is in part to the draft picks. I think Parsons is as advertised and possibly the best defender in the draft. I am an abashed backer of BPA and he was the guy for me. Time will tell but he may be a star and what our defense needs more than suring up weak spots is a couple of stars who are big impact, game changing players.

Osa and Bohanna also seem like good picks that should strengthen the DL and both (with Gallimore out) may start or at least play significant minutes at some point this year. Bohanna even played some 3 tech last game and showed a lot of quickness and lateral movement in the first two games for his size. Osa looks like a good early down 3 tech with the ability to play a couple of spots. Questions are can they combine with our other players to stop the run and can they get a push up the middle in the nickel.

We really need Joseph or Wright to step up. I wasn't a huge fan of either pick because both felt forced but the need was there no doubt so fingers crossed one or both can contribute year 1. Once we didn't go corner in round 1 the team seemed to have locked in on that spot in round 2 no matter who was left there or at other spots. Joseph missed a lot of time so far but doesn't look even close to a week one starter - which is fine for a rookie and not telling of what he may become. Way too early to declare what he is and hoping to see improvement from him in the next month or two. I do like that he seems aggressive. Wright has exceeded expectations and is ahead of Joseph right now IMO. Wright also has looked good on STs so good chance he is active on game day. Canady seems to be impressing in camp but he has been around enough to know we can hopefully do a little better. Lewis and Brown are JAGs. Both have done some good and some bad since they have been here. Having one or both play significant minutes isn't the worst thing in the world but is part of why our defense has stunk lately. If we cut Brown we save over $4M this year. My problem all along has been resigning our own mediocre players and not bringing in good to real good free agents and then being surprised that we aren't improving. The cap hit of these two this year is over $10M. That gets you a pretty good player. If the young guys step up Brown could be cut at some point. If they don't he is likely our week 1 starter. Diggs looks like he is getting better. I think many overrated how he played last year. He got beat a lot. But, overall, he was OK and showed his potential. Looks like from what we see and hear that he has improved even more which is what you hope for a second year player. He is our chance to have a real good corner this year and it will be huge for the team if he becomes that and I feel like he is going to either this year or next.

Cox is the guy I (and most of us) have felt was going to be one of the steals of the draft. I'm not sure he is what you want to run out there on early downs (at least not yet) and neither is Neal so that keeps Jaylon around and having a role at least for this year. His speed is already evident and he has played a lot of snaps this preseason which I think will really help him. I think he is ready for a week 1 nickel role and I think he and Neal are going to be specialty players that will fill that hybrid safety/LB role that many teams use nowadays. I think he also allows us to move Neal back to an in the box SS if things don't work out back there. With so many mobile QBs in the league today and so many teams running those jet sweeps, playing guys like him can be a huge asset for a defense.

Gholston looks like an IR stash at this point so no idea what he is and the CB/safety has shown a little bit and I'm intrigued by him. I hope he is a good STs guy because I'd like to see him stick around. PS at worst for him. Ball looks like an IR guy and Fehoko I'm not sure. PS at worst but I don't know if he can make the roster unless the team really loves his STs ability more than some other guys. I guess if Brown is cut he could be that blocking WR but I don't think he has a role if Brown is on the roster. I haven't seen the speed he is supposed to have and something looks off when I watch him. Can't judge him on a dozen plays though.
Damn I wanted to read this but only have an hour for lunch.

Lol

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Joseph. I know he had a stupid penalty on 3rd and 15 that eventually led to a score but that could be called on a lot of plays. I was impressed when he got burnt. Whether he was suppose to have help over the top or not , i dont know , but he was right with Kirk. Great throw by the Qb. Our DBs as a whole still seem shaky. Ready to see what Hooker can do back there.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout all I got is:
Bohanna may not dress the first few games. Shit load of work needed and he doesn't seem like a guy running down on too many special team units.

Hope Quinn starts to see Jaylon will be game planned in pass coverage and is a 1st down waiting to happen. If they refuse to cut him then he must rush the passer when between the fat white lines.

My guy this draft, Golston...needs to get his ass on the field if he's going to make this team. My guy from last years draft, Reggie Robinson is history.

Onward thru the Fog!
And there is no way Jaylon should possibly see more plays per game than Parsons barring injury. None.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is no way Jaylon should possibly see more plays per game than Parsons barring injury. None.
I don't think there is a snow balls chance.

It's going to be interesting when it's go time. Neal really looks like a strong choice for 2nd most snaps and LVE has had a good camp. The rookie Cox has shown himself very well. Could they actually try to trade or last resort cut Smith? Seems unlikely with Jerry being a fan boy and all, but the number of snaps per game could be 10 or less. If there could be nickels to save towards this seasons cap number, I'd like to think there could be a real possibility

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is a snow balls chance.

It's going to be interesting when it's go time. Neal really looks like a strong choice for 2nd most snaps and LVE has had a good camp. The rookie Cox has shown himself very well. Could they actually try to trade or last resort cut Smith? Seems unlikely with Jerry being a fan boy and all, but the number of snaps per game could be 10 or less. If there could be nickels to save towards this seasons cap number, I'd like to think there could be a real possibility
I can't believe how slow Jaylon looks. Can't stay with anyone in the NFL.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps not right off the bat week 1, but It's going to be tough for me to not be pissed if Cox isn't in our regular nickel/dime sets. Parsons will I believe be doing a lot of rushing. LVE and Neal should play too, but Cox is the guy who can be electric and a game changer in today's NFL with these fast QBs. Jaylon shouldn't see a 3rd down all year.

This AZ QB is like a RB. Obviously preseason and not the #1's, but skill set jumps out at you. Even fought through some blocks which was my concern

Also, Osa may Wally Pipp Gallimore

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps not right off the bat week 1, but It's going to be tough for me to not be pissed if Cox isn't in our regular nickel/dime sets. Parsons will I believe be doing a lot of rushing. LVE and Neal should play too, but Cox is the guy who can be electric and a game changer in today's NFL with these fast QBs. Jaylon shouldn't see a 3rd down all year.

This AZ QB is like a RB. Obviously preseason and not the #1's, but skill set jumps out at you. Even fought through some blocks which was my concern

Also, Osa may Wally Pipp Gallimore

Jaylon should be benched if he does not play better. #48 Showed some real instincts against the Cardinals. The future looks bright for Parsons and Cox. Neal also looks like the first FA brought in a long time that will actually help the defense.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaylon should be benched if he does not play better. #48 Showed some real instincts against the Cardinals. The future looks bright for Parsons and Cox. Neal also looks like the first FA brought in a long time that will actually help the defense.
I hope he is benched :hope:, but alas, he'll likely (at least for the beginning of the year) play a lot on run downs. It'll be Micah, LVE and Jaylon in our base I think. Cox and Neal really aren't likely to be early down LBs here. They can play it, but it won't be their strength and I think the team is going to try and play to the strengths of the players. I guess as often as we play the nickel when teams go 3+ wide, maybe he won't really get on the field much though because I don't think he'll play at all when we are in a 2 LB set.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing to come outta last weeks game may of been Quinn starting his nickel backers on play 1 based on the Cards 3 wide receivers. Holy shit, Dallas hasn't done that in 3 or 4 years and Quinn starts 2 backers on play 1 for a game with no real game plan. Quinn may be the 220 girl sitting with two 280 plus girls coming from what Atlanta showed on D the last couple of years, but I'm loving this guy more and more.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing to come outta last weeks game may of been Quinn starting his nickel backers on play 1 based on the Cards 3 wide receivers. Holy shit, Dallas hasn't done that in 3 or 4 years and Quinn starts 2 backers on play 1 for a game with no real game plan. Quinn may be the 220 girl sitting with two 280 plus girls coming from what Atlanta showed on D the last couple of years, but I'm loving this guy more and more.
Loved this quote… and he ain’t talking about Jaylon;

D0BDB110-A36F-4686-BB58-41E464688057.jpeg

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 277792
It's crazy how far our LBs have come since last year ended. We have Parsons looking like he will be worth a top 10 draft pick. We have LVE looking like he will be back to the player he was or at least close to it and we have a vet guy who looks like he'll excel in the nickel and a rookie who looks to have the skill set to be one of the best nickel LBs in the league - skill set is of course not proof we'll see it until he at least plays against #1s in preseason or a real game. Then we have Jaylon who looks worse than ever and makes more than all of them combined. Let that one sink in...

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 277792
Jaylon problem is he does nothing well anymore. Sack numbers down every season since 2018. He is not great in coverage and he no longer plays the run very well. He has not looked good this preseason.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be huge to see our defense make tackles from our initial contact with ball carriers. Instead of what they have been doing in recent years. Broken tackles piss me off. Like what I am seeing in some of these young guys right now.

Wolves008

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope for the Cowboys' preseason is simple: no injuries. That's it. Hopefully some useful player evaluation happens that brings up some hidden gems - that'd be nice - but mostly just no one get hurt in these meaningless games.

Wolves008

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be huge to see our defense make tackles from our initial contact with ball carriers. Instead of what they have been doing in recent years. Broken tackles piss me off. I like what I am seeing in some of these young guys right now.
The Cowboys have been bad at tackling for like 10 years. It's fucking infuriating.