• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins for Nets Pick

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the Pelicans trade DeMarcus Cousins for the Nets unprotected 1st-round pick from the Cavs if it was offered to them? And should the Cavs offer it to them?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the Pelicans trade DeMarcus Cousins for the Nets unprotected 1st-round pick from the Cavs if it was offered to them? And should the Cavs offer it to them?

Probably something that will be approached around the trade deadline. It would probably depend on how many teams are worst than the Nets. Also it would depend on how Davis and Cousins play alongside one another. If for whatever reason they can click and the Pelicans are somehow a playoff team, then it's not going to happen.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right now I don't think they (Pelicans) would, and I don't think they should (But I wish they would). If Cousins is gonna stay with them he is WAY more valuable than the BKN pick.

If things go south - either with the Pelicans record - or with Cousins feelings on being in New Orleans long term... that's when you might see something happen. If they wait too long though... a 1 year rental becomes a 3 month rental and I think the price drops below the worth of the BKN pick.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to come down to the trade deadline. As of right now I don't think the Pelicans do that deal. If the Pelicans are in a position to compete for the 6-8 spot, which I think are going to be really up for grabs, then they're less likely to do the deal. If they can be successful and Cousins flourishes he might be inclined to stay with them and they could build off of that. Taking the Nets pick would be another young player who would need some development and wasting even more time of Anthony Davis' prime.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Cavs need a cancer to fill out the roster?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard this being speculated on before. Depends on if the Pelicans are in contention for a playoff spot at that time or not. If they are they keep Cousins but if not he gets traded. He would be a good fit with the Cavs IMO.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HarshInnocentFrenchbulldog.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dumb move to make.

IF lebron were to leave next season, they'd be stuck with a team that couldn't make it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. At least with the pick they have a chance of moving forward and gaining younger assets.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb move to make.

IF lebron were to leave next season, they'd be stuck with a team that couldn't make it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. At least with the pick they have a chance of moving forward and gaining younger assets.

Cousins, Love and IT would be a ECF team. You forget that if Lebron leaves the West is still supremely stacked and the East is almost a D league conference. It would make tons of sense to trade for Cousins. Worst case scenario they stack their team for a single season in hopes of one more championship before Lebron leaves. If that were the case and somehow the Cavs got Boogie and won a championship, there's almost no way Lebron leaves that situation.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins, Love and IT would be a ECF team. You forget that if Lebron leaves the West is still supremely stacked and the East is almost a D league conference. It would make tons of sense to trade for Cousins. Worst case scenario they stack their team for a single season in hopes of one more championship before Lebron leaves. If that were the case and somehow the Cavs got Boogie and won a championship, there's almost no way Lebron leaves that situation.

Would that even work out? Lebron would demand at least $35m, Cousins $30m+, IT $25m+ and Love is already on $20m+

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would that even work out? Lebron would demand at least $35m, Cousins $30m+, IT $25m+ and Love is already on $20m+

I was going from the stand point of Lebron leaving. If he stays, it makes in much hard to to do because the Cavs don't have the bird rights for Cousins and IT. Likely they'd have to choose between one of them and if it was me, I'd go Cousins without a second thought.

In order to keep all of them, they'd have to get rid of TT, JR and Frye.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going from the stand point of Lebron leaving. If he stays, it makes in much hard to to do because the Cavs don't have the bird rights for Cousins and IT. Likely they'd have to choose between one of them and if it was me, I'd go Cousins without a second thought.

In order to keep all of them, they'd have to get rid of TT, JR and Frye.

Cavs do have IT's bird rights. And they would have Cousins' too in this scenario.

Bird rights go with a player when they are traded. They only go away if the player is renounced or waived or signs a new contract.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boogie is a free agent as well as IT... if LeBron leaves you think those two would stay? Hellllll nah. Then the Cavs are stuck with Kevin Love and a bunch of role players. With how stacked this draft class is and uncertainty with LeBron's future it would be a HUGE risk, but like you said if they win a ring it could keep Bron there. There's no middle ground in this though, either all 3 would return or none of them would.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure about that.

Also, Cousins and IT are free agents next year too. If LeBron leaves, why would they all stay in Cleveland? If they don't win a title with LeBron, they aren't anywhere close without him.

I do think there is a chance LeBron leaves regardless of how successful Cleveland is this year, but that will depend on how bad things really are with Gilbert.

Lastly, no chance Gilbert deals that pick without some assurance LeBron is returning. Would be foolish to do so.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie is a free agent as well as IT... if LeBron leaves you think those two would stay? Hellllll nah. Then the Cavs are stuck with Kevin Love and a bunch of role players. With how stacked this draft class is and uncertainty with LeBron's future it would be a HUGE risk, but like you said if they win a ring it could keep Bron there. There's no middle ground in this though, either all 3 would return or none of them would.

LOL. Great minds think alike?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs do have IT's bird rights. And they would have Cousins' too in this scenario.

Bird rights go with a player when they are traded. They only go away if the player is renounced or waived or signs a new contract.

See that I wasn't sure of. Thanks for clearing that up. Then it makes tons of sense
Not sure about that.

Also, Cousins and IT are free agents next year too. If LeBron leaves, why would they all stay in Cleveland? If they don't win a title with LeBron, they aren't anywhere close without him.

I do think there is a chance LeBron leaves regardless of how successful Cleveland is this year, but that will depend on how bad things really are with Gilbert.

Lastly, no chance Gilbert deals that pick without some assurance LeBron is returning. Would be foolish to do so.

IT likely stays because he's going for the cash out as he's stated before. He's been vastly underpaid his entire career, plus he's also friends with Love which is a bonus. If the Cavs retain his bird rights, they're almost a lock to keep him barring a significantly lowball offer.

Cousins is a bit different, but you have to look at the teams out there that 1) are in a position to succeed and 2) can pay him. There aren't that many teams that fit that bill in the coming off-season. If both Cousins and IT got a taste of success, even without Lebron there, the East is still very weak. They're at worst a top 4 seed in the East with a core of Boogie, Love and IT.

So in summation, I think both would be highly inclined to stay because they could still be competitive in a really weak conference and both be paid at their highest max $. Where's the downside to that?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I tend to agree, although I think IT would stay if offered a max. Not sure he'd get too many max offers elsewhere.