• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins Doesn't Deserve A Longterm Contract

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a single QB in the league I would take today to lead this team in this offense over the next 5 seasons.

Wow. In a thread titled Kirk does not deserve a long term contract we have the other end of the spectrum here.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't Andy Dalton throw like KC in this exact system with better talent?

Easy answer, because Andy Dalton has very little resemblance to Kirk in stature, style and how he plays the game. whereas the two that I've named are practically clones of Kirk in each of these aspects. Just to help you out a bit....How is it that Drew Brees doesn't play like Ben Rothlisberger? (See the obvious differences?)

In a bit of irony, SM has now gotten two players that have come as close to stature and style of play as Beast mode (formerly at Seattle) one didn't work out and the other seems to be solidifying his job. (Kelly)

Last edited:

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Gkekoa.. what QB would you want over next 5 seasons. The top 2 are up in years and is Matt Bryant really that much better than KC.. each throw an occasional head scratching pick. Numbers are comporable. Rivers tosses more pics than the forgotten Romo ever did. Rodgers would be perhaps the only QB I would consider replacing Cousins, but then not so sure on that... Rodgers gets hurt easier. Talking to a Jets fan who spent Xmas with us told me he would cream his jeans if Cousins ended up a Jet next year. KC is quietly becoming an elite QB.... at least top 5 in the league. Give me KC and ill give you a chance to win any game.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're looking at this in terms of who to replace Kirk with among, the types being bandied about then 1. you're looking at this in the wrong way .....AND....2. Looking at the wrong type of players.

So, first the ONLY way to look at this is in the NULIKELY event that the two sides come to an unbreakable impasse. THAT IS TRULY UNLIKELY, ESPECIALLY SINCE THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER FT THAT THEY CAN HOLD ONTO Kirk with. However, from a pure speculative point of view which brings us to #2 replacing Kirk because of money differences begs the question...Where do you find his replacement at a price the is more in line with what the organization's plan happens to be?

The answer is to not go after top of the line guys but guys who have already proven to be the same TYPE of guy with the same TYPE OF SKILLSET. Right now there are two who actually clone both Kirk in style and manner in which they play the game. I already know that I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this, but just know that I know that those who offer it are not looking at this objectively or based on STYLE and SKILLSET. They are: Tom Savage and Matt Barkley. Journeymen to be sure, but just like Kirk in THIS OFFENSE with the same talent around them, cutting down on the same mistakes that even Kirk once had, and you get the same or near same results.
:pound::pound:
Are you for real? So you are suggesting that they consider 1 The guy who just threw 5 picks vs Skins & 2. An unknown who has barely played for an unimpressive Texans team. Ummm - pass!

Reality check - Cousins will be extended this off-season- end of story - move on..

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound::pound:
Are you for real? So you are suggesting that they consider 1 The guy who just threw 5 picks vs Skins & 2. An unknown who has barely played for an unimpressive Texans team. Ummm - pass!

Reality check - Cousins will be extended this off-season- end of story - move on..

Having a hard time comprehending what you've read? I wrote that it is extremely likely that they would sign him long term. The other thing that I pointed out related to SM's proclivity to draft or acquire similiar type players that he's had success with in other places. I even pointed out a current example. No one suggested that they replace Kirk with either of the two that I pointed out, just that these are the types that come closest to Kirk's stature, style of play and approach to the game. I get it....it's the holiday season, and a slow time, for those seeking controvery.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a while since I've posted, and it's great to see some things haven't changed. I think the folks here properly responded to the OP. Stymie's idea that Tom Savage and Matt Barkley would somehow be good replacements for Cousins -- or any QB that's got a rating over 80 -- is akin to his prior view that Matt McGloin could spell Kirk.

And the starting price for negotiations for a new contract begins with Brock Osweiler's insane four-year, $72 million deal. Osweiler, of course, isn't close to being worth that. But his contract set the floor for the QB market.

Washington Redskins Should Sign Kirk Cousins Instead Of Tagging Him Again

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal will be huge and certain fans will be up in arms. Some really clever ones will claim to work for 1/10th of that amount, as if anyone would be willing to pay them that. But the bottom line is this will be what a good starting QB in the NFL will cost because there are only 10-12 of them in the entire world. Those fans better prepare themselves.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah the skins FO gambled and lost , now you have to pay the pieper

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a while since I've posted, and it's great to see some things haven't changed. I think the folks here properly responded to the OP. Stymie's idea that Tom Savage and Matt Barkley would somehow be good replacements for Cousins -- or any QB that's got a rating over 80 -- is akin to his prior view that Matt McGloin could spell Kirk.

And the starting price for negotiations for a new contract begins with Brock Osweiler's insane four-year, $72 million deal. Osweiler, of course, isn't close to being worth that. But his contract set the floor for the QB market.

Washington Redskins Should Sign Kirk Cousins Instead Of Tagging Him Again

Never said that, just that they have the same sort of particulars that Kirk brings to the game.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins may have lucked out with Carr's injury. He and Stafford were expected to get big extensions this year and may have been deals Kirk was sitting on to use as benchmarks. Carr's deal is more important since he's closer in terms of experience to Kirk than is Stafford.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You stated that McGloin was at least an equally viable option if Kirk left. That's insane.

Based on the question that preceded that answer, yep, but he didn't leave and there was no need to take the necessary step to get someone else in here. Interesting that few here believe that there are indeed viable options somewhere for Cousins. I believe that more than anything else he is a product of the system that he plays in coupled with the talent around him. If you think that he would flourish in any one of the bottom tier teams, that's insane!! He's not the TYPE of player that can take over a game, just another piece in the machine.

Last edited:

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the question that preceded that answer, yep, but he didn't leave and there was no need to take the necessary step to get someone else in here. Interesting that few here believe that there are indeed viable options somewhere for Cousins. I believe that more than anything else he is a product of the system that he plays in coupled with the talent around him. If you think that he would flourish in any one of the bottom tier teams, that's insane!! He's not the TYPE of player that can take over a game, just another piece in the machine.

That's not the issue here, which is whether McGloin could do the same in a system that's got no running game and defense and asks Cousins to win games every week. If you think McGloin could that and pass for around 5000 yards and one of the best QB ratings in the NFL, you're nuts.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the issue here, which is whether McGloin could do the same in a system that's got no running game and defense and asks Cousins to win games every week. If you think McGloin could that and pass for around 5000 yards and one of the best QB ratings in the NFL, you're nuts.

Then you obviously took the statement out of context, whether or not McGloin could do that or not is unknown, for you to speculate that he could not makes you very very special!! Interesting that you quickly veered away from the Savage, Barkley resemblances to Kirk which in fact was the heart of your earlier post.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you obviously took the statement out of context, whether or not McGloin could do that or not is unknown, for you to speculate that he could not makes you very very special!! Interesting that you quickly veered away from the Savage, Barkley resemblances to Kirk which in fact was the heart of your earlier post.

It's not my burden to prove what McGloin, Barkley or Savage can or can't do. It's yours. Care -- or even dare -- to try? Cousins, among many other things, faced the third best pass defense this year according to Warren Sharp on his way to nearly 5000 yards and a 100 QB rating. As for Barkley, good luck with trying to equate him with anyone with a rating higher than 75. ICYMI, Barkley's five picks last week represent half the total of INTs that Cousins had thrown the entire year. But yeah, keep up those comparisons.

P.S. Keep hope alive: RGIII might get cut for you to argue that we should re-acquire him. After all, he's clearly better than Cuz right?