• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Zaire Be The First To Crack

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading a Yahoo article, quoting Malik Zaire that he is frustrated with the thought of going through another QB competition, one which Kelly hinted could go into the fall and beyond. On the one hand, I can see that he worked hard to get out from under Golson's shadow, only to have an injury sideline him, and that he has to start over. That said, Kizer more than proved himself, and he deserves his shot too. I don't think Malik has anything to complain about, and Wimbush is nipping at both their feet right now. Reports out of spring practice, the early ones anyway, say he's pushing both Zaire and Kizer, and has a better arm and is faster than both.

Seems that Zaire isn't happy that he has to compete, says he will do what he has to to win the starting job, but that he's so vocally frustrated suggests he might be the first to crack or fold if the competition gets too hot. Thoughts?

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading a Yahoo article, quoting Malik Zaire that he is frustrated with the thought of going through another QB competition, one which Kelly hinted could go into the fall and beyond. On the one hand, I can see that he worked hard to get out from under Golson's shadow, only to have an injury sideline him, and that he has to start over. That said, Kizer more than proved himself, and he deserves his shot too. I don't think Malik has anything to complain about, and Wimbush is nipping at both their feet right now. Reports out of spring practice, the early ones anyway, say he's pushing both Zaire and Kizer, and has a better arm and is faster than both.

Seems that Zaire isn't happy that he has to compete, says he will do what he has to to win the starting job, but that he's so vocally frustrated suggests he might be the first to crack or fold if the competition gets too hot. Thoughts?
This mentality is getting rather sickening to me. The coach coaches and players play. I don't believe in the afraid to compete bullshit. That's just my two cents. That's why I always had quite a bit of respect for Tommy Rees. He wasn't that talented but didn't whine. You have to like that in a kid.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This mentality is getting rather sickening to me. The coach coaches and players play. I don't believe in the afraid to compete bullshit. That's just my two cents. That's why I always had quite a bit of respect for Tommy Rees. He wasn't that talented but didn't whine. You have to like that in a kid.
I think with Rees you had a guy who understood his limitations. Malik's a talker, and he felt he should be the starter since he arrived on campus. Which is fine, I don't mind the cockiness, and when things didn't go his way, he didn't pick up his ball and go home. But it seems to me that now that he earned the starting job last season, he thinks he shouldn't have to compete. Its tough to know whether he would have out-performed Kizer all year, but its hard to deny that Kizer was able to run for a lot of yards, throw for a lot of yards, and had more close game experiences where he had to battle back (UVa, USC, Temple, just to name a few). We dont' have enough of a sample size to know if Zaire is a great pressure QB. He wasn't setting the world ablaze against UVa before he went down.

I get his frustration, but its pretty foolish to think he wouldn't have to compete, especially the way Kizer performed.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the situation, Kelly shouldn't name a starter till the first game so we can keep them all from transferring.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the situation, Kelly shouldn't name a starter till the first game so we can keep them all from transferring.
I wholeheartedly believe that is why he made the comments he did. Doesn't need anyone sucking up PT if they're going to transfer before the fall (ala Golson).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont blame the guy. He hasnt done anything wrong besides getting injured. He is 3-0 and has shown what he can do. What hurts is Kizer had a good year and going into this year is ranked in the top 10 QB's in the country. Then throw in Wimbush who has the best arm out of the group if he puts everything together he can be scary good. Not a bad problem to have for Kelly but yes we might see 1 transfer. Here is the breakdown that all players want besides being the #1.

-MZ wins the job has a great year and goes pro
-Kizer then takes over might lose Wimbush
or
-Wimbush wins the job next year and Kizer wont leave(1 year left) and stays to be the back like he always thought he would be before he broke out.
-Ian Book redshirts and learns.
-Avary Davis comes in next year and redshirts.

Thats the best case breakdown as a ND fan.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be a competition every year to whom the starter is. Nothing should be handed to Malik or Kizer and may the best man win. However, I think Malik will be the starter because he is a natural runner. I think the offense will be geared more towards the run because of the unproven young receiving core.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be a competition every year to whom the starter is. Nothing should be handed to Malik or Kizer and may the best man win. However, I think Malik will be the starter because he is a natural runner. I think the offense will be geared more towards the run because of the unproven young receiving core.
The positive is we should have a great back field and Oline. I think we will be fine at WR. we have some nice weapons.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would actually like to see are QB runs a little less. I mean, it's why MZ got hurt last yr. If he didn't get hurt and finished they year, I think Kizer would have transfer this yr.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would actually like to see are QB runs a little less. I mean, it's why MZ got hurt last yr. If he didn't get hurt and finished they year, I think Kizer would have transfer this yr.
He said he wouldn't transfer, but quit playing altogether and switch to baseball.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow..I didn't know that...So it's between Kizer and Wim??
No. You suggested Kizer might transfer. Kizer said last year he nearly gave up football to pursue baseball because he felt he'd always be behind Golson and Zaire. I don't think he'd transfer if he ( Kizer) is the odd man out. Probably just switch to baseball.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. You suggested Kizer might transfer. Kizer said last year he nearly gave up football to pursue baseball because he felt he'd always be behind Golson and Zaire. I don't think he'd transfer if he ( Kizer) is the odd man out. Probably just switch to baseball.

OH!! I got ya...LOL. my bad

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Kizer any good at baseball?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Kizer any good at baseball?
I think he probably had offers to play. That he thought he could transition from football to baseball tells me he probably could.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he probably had offers to play. That he thought he could transition from football to baseball tells me he probably could.
Well I think Kizer was one of the players that the baseball coach wanted to play 2 sports. Kizer wanted to give football a full attention 1st. I remember an article or something about 2 sport player.