• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could USC actually beat Alabama on Week 1?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can USC win? Sure, if the new QB and new d-line play to the level of their talent, rather than the level of their experience. They can definitely win.

Do I expect that to happen? No. I think the game will be close for the first 3 quarters (within a touchdown), but I expect Bama will pull away with a couple of late scores.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can USC win? Sure, if the new QB and new d-line play to the level of their talent, rather than the level of their experience. They can definitely win.

Do I expect that to happen? No. I think the game will be close for the first 3 quarters (within a touchdown), but I expect Bama will pull away with a couple of late scores.

I'm hoping Lane Kiffin gets to disappoint USC just 1 more time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's that low. Few teams recruit, and have the talent, that USC does. Alabama is one of them -- but when you have that talent you can beat anyone. USC returns a lot of talent, Alabama lost a lot of talent. So it could be very easily be a good game that ends in USC's favor; especially that early in the season. Alabama is going to have to break in a new QB...USC isn't.

Really? The Browns might be interested in knowing that Kessler stayed at USC despite having no eligibility. USC also lost our entire defensive line from last year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Lane Kiffin gets to disappoint USC just 1 more time.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't. I'd like our chances a lot better if this game were being played next year.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know nothing about either team this year but would take an avi bet that Bama wins, convincingly.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's hard to answer cause I can see a scenario where SC or Bama slaughter each other. I can't really imagine Kiffin is going to play super conservative to allow SC to keep it tight.

with a unproven qb please throw it all over the field vs a pair of 5 star corners. usc may not have a proven guy either but a slight different situation. guy who learned as back up for 3 years much like the march sanchez, john david booty of years past.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the responses that point out the coaching advantage and O-Line advantage for Bama. They're just too talented and will wear that Trojan defense out.

It might stay close until halftime because it's the first game, maybe there are some Tide mistakes made, nervous jitters, guys aren't fully conditioned yet, etc., but I'd be shocked if this isn't ultimately a double-digit win for the elephants

im not quite buying into alabama dominant o-line. sure usc d-line isn't a strength by any stretch but its really cam robinson and 4 other guys. robinson is only guy predicted to make all sec team. usc is the line with all the returning starts. if pendergast is worth him coming back a 2nd time they won't be having 2nd down and 2 every other play as much of the board here would suggest.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? The Browns might be interested in knowing that Kessler stayed at USC despite having no eligibility. USC also lost our entire defensive line from last year.
Yes, yes. It was already pointed out. This is now twice that I've read stupid Phiil Steele's returning starter spreadsheet wrong.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can USC beat Alabama? Of course. Will they? Probably not. But, I suspect the Trojans will give the Tide a tough battle. It is the first game of the year, so anything can happen. Almost nothing would make me happier than for the CFB season to kick off with an Alabama loss. If that happens, I suspect the Hoop won't hear much from those smug Alabama fans who've been front and center here during the off-season.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another example of how few times many of the storied CFB teams have played each other.

These ain't the only ones for sure.

Too few times for sure but one of their matchups reshaped college football when USC went to Alabama in 1970 with a fully intergrated football team (had been for a long time) and played Bear Bryants team.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not quite buying into alabama dominant o-line. sure usc d-line isn't a strength by any stretch but its really cam robinson and 4 other guys. robinson is only guy predicted to make all sec team. usc is the line with all the returning starts. if pendergast is worth him coming back a 2nd time they won't be having 2nd down and 2 every other play as much of the board here would suggest.

But..,plug-n-chug, mang!!! Plug-n-CHUG!

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can USC beat Alabama? Of course. Will they? Probably not. But, I suspect the Trojans will give the Tide a tough battle. It is the first game of the year, so anything can happen. Almost nothing would make me happier than for the CFB season to kick off with an Alabama loss. If that happens, I suspect the Hoop won't hear much from those smug Alabama fans who've been front and center here during the off-season.
Shit, you must be new here.

Archangel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As if Alabama won't still make the playoff.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, I always disappear after Alabama loses.