• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Kovalchuk return to the NHL in 2018?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if this was posted...

Once the shock of his “retirement” to the KHL wore off, more than a few people in the hockey world were saddened to think that Ilya Kovalchuk‘s days in the NHL are over. That might not be the case, however.

His sister Arina told Sovsport.ru (in Russian) that Kovalchuk wants to return to America after three years. The New York Post’s Larry Brooks points out that Kovalchuk would need the New Jersey Devils’ approval to return to the NHL by then – which would be 2016 – but that rule would be lifted entirely when the 30-year-old star turns to 35.

Ilya Kovalchuk will be removed from the “voluntary retired list” upon reaching his 35th birthday on April 15, 2018, and thereby would become an unrestricted free agent if the winger were to pursue a return to the NHL for the 2018-19 season.

Such a scenario (not to mention the 2016 possibility his sister mentioned) would generate quite a bit of controversy and prompt plenty of questions.

One of the key ones: how much would a team trust Kovalchuk to sign a 35+ contract, considering how his “first retirement” went? In a hypothetical scenario where he’d retire out of the blue again, that franchise would be stuck with whatever cap hit he’d carry regardless.

Of course, there’s the very real possibility that his NHL days are over, for real. After all, it doesn’t get much better than finishing with exactly a point-per-game in your career (816 in 816).

Still, it could make for a fascinating story to follow, especially if he gets to play against the Devils

Could Kovalchuk return to the NHL in 2018? | ProHockeyTalk

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan-Giroux-Kovalchuk

The Flyers' 1st line in 2018-19 :D

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kovalchuk inks four-year deal with KHL's SKA St Petersburg

ilyakovalchuk_4571-430x298.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SKA president Gennady Timchenko described the 30-year-old Kovalchuk as a "real leader."

He also went on to say that Judas and Benedict Arnold were just victims of revisionist history.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaezus, what a brutal article from Jack Todd (although not surprising, he's been off his rocker for some time now). The bolded part is pretty funny.

MONTREAL — If there is one word that describes the National Hockey League as run by Gary Bettman (in cahoots with the likes of Jeremy Jacobs and Murray Edwards) it is arrogance.

Arrogance toward the fans through the endless lockouts.

Arrogance toward the players.

Arrogance in their dealings with the IIHF and the IOC.

Arrogance toward the game of hockey itself, which Bettman & Co. regard as their private plaything, to do with as they please.

That’s why superstar Ilya Kovalchuk’s decision to return to Russia is a watershed moment. Kovalchuk isn’t the first, but he’s the biggest: the NHL can no longer claim the best players in the world play here, because it’s no longer true.

To his credit, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello accepted Kovalchuk’s defection with class. Kovalchuk chose home over money and you can’t knock a guy for that, although the Don Cherrys and Mike Milburys will no doubt find a way.

But this isn’t some Alexander Radulov, slouching his way from league to league and playing when he feels like showing up. This is a fully acclimated, intelligent, thoughtful star who is fluent in English and loves the rough stuff. Apart from his struggles during his early days with the Devils, Kovalchuk has always produced.

Will his defection hurt the NHL? Not really. The league can afford to be arrogant because the fans keep coming no matter who is on the ice.

But Kovalchuk’s decision underlines the basic truth: the KHL is now a player in the global game. Not quite the WHA, perhaps, but a real competitor, especially for homegrown talent.

How long will it be before Swedish and Finnish players, fed up with their confinement on a too-small ice surface in a league that rewards brutality over skill, begin to feel the ice is whiter on the other side of the pond? If they also decide that money isn’t everything and choose the KHL or the Swedish Elite League over the NHL, it could rock the NHL to its foundations.

For now, it’s just one superstar. But Ilya Kovalchuk will be missed, on and off the ice.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he does have some good points although I dont think Kovie chose home over money in this. we may never know why and there is nothing about what he did that can be commended. but everything about the fans and the league is true.

Jaezus, what a brutal article from Jack Todd (although not surprising, he's been off his rocker for some time now). The bolded part is pretty funny.

MONTREAL — If there is one word that describes the National Hockey League as run by Gary Bettman (in cahoots with the likes of Jeremy Jacobs and Murray Edwards) it is arrogance.

Arrogance toward the fans through the endless lockouts.

Arrogance toward the players.

Arrogance in their dealings with the IIHF and the IOC.

Arrogance toward the game of hockey itself, which Bettman & Co. regard as their private plaything, to do with as they please.

That’s why superstar Ilya Kovalchuk’s decision to return to Russia is a watershed moment. Kovalchuk isn’t the first, but he’s the biggest: the NHL can no longer claim the best players in the world play here, because it’s no longer true.

To his credit, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello accepted Kovalchuk’s defection with class. Kovalchuk chose home over money and you can’t knock a guy for that, although the Don Cherrys and Mike Milburys will no doubt find a way.

But this isn’t some Alexander Radulov, slouching his way from league to league and playing when he feels like showing up. This is a fully acclimated, intelligent, thoughtful star who is fluent in English and loves the rough stuff. Apart from his struggles during his early days with the Devils, Kovalchuk has always produced.

Will his defection hurt the NHL? Not really. The league can afford to be arrogant because the fans keep coming no matter who is on the ice.

But Kovalchuk’s decision underlines the basic truth: the KHL is now a player in the global game. Not quite the WHA, perhaps, but a real competitor, especially for homegrown talent.

How long will it be before Swedish and Finnish players, fed up with their confinement on a too-small ice surface in a league that rewards brutality over skill, begin to feel the ice is whiter on the other side of the pond? If they also decide that money isn’t everything and choose the KHL or the Swedish Elite League over the NHL, it could rock the NHL to its foundations.

For now, it’s just one superstar. But Ilya Kovalchuk will be missed, on and off the ice.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, if Kovalchuk played for the Habs instead of the Devils, Jack Todd would be tearing Ilya apart in his column. The vitriol towards Kovalchuk would be unrelenting.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, if Kovalchuk played for the Habs instead of the Devils, Jack Todd would be tearing Ilya apart in his column. The vitriol towards Kovalchuk would be unrelenting.

ive never read him so I guess I can see it from a non obstructed view of the message (not that Im saying you are) I suppose change Todd with Galagher and I see your point

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually he chose home AND money lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice now That Ilya Kovalchuk would be permitted to return to NHL at 35 without sitting out year/permission from all 30 teams/Devils, not 100% true.

go on ... ???

:noidea:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice now That Ilya Kovalchuk would be permitted to return to NHL at 35 without sitting out year/permission from all 30 teams/Devils, not 100% true.

go on ... ???

:noidea:

would he be ufa or still under contract?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 7m I'm told Devils still might be able to challenge/block Kovalchuk's return to NHL even at 35 or older.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice now By the way, Kovalchuk would only be 34 when his contract with SKA St. Petersburg, which he signed today, expires.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice now So, Kovalchuk will still have to sit out year/get NJ permission or get all 30 teams permission to return to NHL after this contract expires.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is why are people acting like he was one of the top elite players. I never saw him as one, always thought him to be overrated, and never will be as good as Sid, Geno, OV, or even Stamkos. He's never put a team on his back and taken them to the next level like Tarvares (pretty sure I fucked up his name) has. Yes its a huge blow to my team, but losing Parise was worse. Losing Kovy the way we did is WHY I'm pissed.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice now By the way, Kovalchuk would only be 34 when his contract with SKA St. Petersburg, which he signed today, expires.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice now So, Kovalchuk will still have to sit out year/get NJ permission or get all 30 teams permission to return to NHL after this contract expires.

Couldn't he sign an AHL contract and get called up (presumably he would have to clear waivers, however)?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be surprised, seen a lot of old fogies kick major @$$ in the NHL. Dude has a great shooting touch which will probably last the test of time. At the same time, I don't like what he did to the Devils, total lack of respect.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jagr did the same thing and is still around so Kovelchuck could but as a whole Russian players are kinda flakes and I wouldnt trust them at all. so I would not sign him as a GM

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s why superstar Ilya Kovalchuk’s decision to return to Russia is a watershed moment. Kovalchuk isn’t the first, but he’s the biggest: the NHL can no longer claim the best players in the world play here, because it’s no longer true

Huh? Weird article.

I'm still gonna say that the best players in the world play in the NHL. And I doubt Gary Bettman was a factor at all in Kovalchuk's decision. Seems like some misdirected anger here.