• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cotton Bowl: Clemson vs. Notre Dame

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God hates a diddler

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame wish they had half the tradition of Clemson

If Dabo Sweeney's lucky maybe we'll let him touch one of the jacket's of the four horsemen or carry Kelly's jock strap.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would have read my post, I accounted for Notre Dame's play only under Book. The passing offense went from #31 on the season to #26 with Book. Clemson's went from #28 on the season to #10 with Lawrence. And that #10 ranking is Clemson's third worst stat. Of the 12 statistics I examined on page 9, Clemson is top 20 is all of them (with Lawrence), top 10 in 10 of them, and top 5 in 8 of them. Notre Dame is top 20 in 1 of them, top 10 in 1 of them, and top 5 in none of them. Yes, rivalry games are weird, but those are just weak excuses.

And I think it's funny you want to say, Notre Dame sucked against USC because it was a rivalry game but Bentley threw for a lot of yards against Clemson so Clemson's secondary is shit. You can't have it both ways. Clemson's secondary has completely shut down superstar receivers this year better than Boykin. They've also stopped better QBs than Book. And they have a month to prepare for Book. Also, Clemson still blew their rival out. And South Carolina is a much better team than USC.

That said, I feel like I've given Notre Dame a lot of credit here. I've said they're a well-rounded team with few weaknesses, and I think it will be a tough game (though I do like Clemson in it).

I've never been alive to see Notre Dame win either of those (and you've only got 1 of each in the last 40 years), so what the hell do I care how Notre Dame was in our grandparents' days? Yale and Army were dominant back then too. Good job I guess.

Yes but what would Notre Dame's stats be had Book and Williams their star RB that missed four games be? That's why it's misleading you probably didn't know Notre Dame didn't have their top back for a quarter of the season. Being a Rival is part of it with USC but Notre Dame did more traveling in their last five games than Clemson has all season probably more than they have in two seasons. They went to San Diego, then back to South Bend, to Chicago then back to South Bend, played at home, then went to New York and back to South Bend, and finally went out to LA. A team just might come out a little flat having traveled that much.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the legend himself>trophy..
d4a2975c7c93742dacdea3d22d010276.1500

He coached at Clemson for four seasons then left for Georgia Tech. He attended Brown which is an Ivy League school so he was a smart man, smart enough to know it was time to get the hell out of Clemson.

Last edited:

txTIGER1963

ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 417.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but what would Notre Dame's stats be had Book and Williams their star RB that missed four games be? That's why it's misleading you probably didn't know Notre Dame didn't have their top back for a quarter of the season. Being a Rival is part of it with USC but Notre Dame did more traveling in their last five games than Clemson has all season probably more than they have in two seasons. They went to San Diego, then back to South Bend, to Chicago then back to South Bend, played at home, then went to New York and back to South Bend, and finally went out to LA. A team just might come out a little flat having traveled that much.

ok, cool
hook'em

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2018-12-16_0-19-57.jpeg

I mean the Red Sox must be the best franchise in Baseball history because the guy they named the Cy Young after played for them.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, cool
hook'em

most college fan's don't get if because their team doesn't travel that far ACC does more than they ever did with the expanding they've done.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame defensive coordinator Clark Lea says the goal for his defense, just like in any game, is to get after the quarterback the best that they can.

However, when he has watched Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence play, he has noticed he isn’t like most quarterbacks. Most talk about how Lawrence isn’t like a lot of freshmen that are first-year starters, but Lea feels he isn’t like most quarterbacks in general.

Why?

“I don’t see him as a guy that loses his composure often,” Lea said. “I see him as a guy that is very steady and is very comfortable. So, we have our work cut out for us.”

Notre Dame, who will play Clemson in the Cotton Bowl on Dec. 29 as part of the College Football Playoff Semifinals, has already played a couple of freshman quarterbacks. The Irish faced off against USC’s J.T. Daniels, Wake Forest’s Sam Hartman and Syracuse’s Tommy Devito.

However, none of those guys have stacked up to the performance and the mentality of which Lawrence has played with in playing in all 13 games for Clemson and starting the last nine.

Lawrence was named the ACC Rookie of the Year after he threw for 2,606 yards, while completing 65 percent of his passes. In 326 pass attempts, he has thrown just four interceptions and has thrown a Clemson freshman record 24 touchdown passes, which leads the ACC.

He also leads the ACC in pass efficiency at 154.02.

Boston College got after Lawrence early in the game, but the true freshman bounced back to throw for 295 yards on 29-of-40 passing, while running for one score and throwing for another.

“He is a young quarterback and he is extremely talented,” Lea said. “I think he, through the course of his time being the starter, has really strengthened his game. It is going to be a challenge.”

Notre Dame has one of the best passing defenses in the country. The Irish have allowed just 198 yards a game through the air, while also limiting the big plays.

They have given up just one touchdown pass longer than 20 yards all season. Clemson has 32 pass plays, most of which are touchdowns from Lawrence to either Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross and Amari Rodgers, of 40 or more yards.

“I think anytime we go into a game we are looking for ways to be disruptive to the quarterbacks because that is where things start, and this game will be no different in that way.”

Clemson and Notre Dame will kickoff from AT&T Stadium at 4 p.m., eastern time, on Dec. 29. The game will be televised by ESPN.

—Irish Sports Daily contributed to this story

Notre Dame hopes to disrupt Lawrence, Clemson passing game

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sir , if you think Notre Dame is lacking in tradition, both in athletics and academic, you need to pay closer attention in class. Contrary to the position you currently appear to hold, the world does s not end at the South Carolina border.

And always remember on graduation day, one of the diplomas reads "Clemson University" and the other , "The University of Notre Dame Du Lac." Trust me on this , life is easier if you had the good fortune to have earned the latter.
If paying off college debt is your life goal than be my guest. I thought my out of state friends had it bad but they’re paying double over at ND which is crazy

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the southern papers can convince the fans to save their money for the a trip to the championship (since this game is already decided). Maybe the Clemson Administration could convince Sweeny, to leave the punter home for this game.
Then for the championship the can send a deserving student to the game with the savings.
:pray: It would be a Christmas miracle

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for any unsavory comments that I may have made last night. I may have been over served.
I apologize too. We all love our schools and back up our brothers. Sometimes it gets a little out of control. Sorry for being so disrespectful, that's not the Irish way.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize too. We all love our schools and back up our brothers. Sometimes it gets a little out of control. Sorry for being so disrespectful, that's not the Irish way.
same here

:suds:

michigaNDer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg, what type of an example are you setting for Peter and Bobby? These people are beneath us. Don't ever apologize.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg, what type of an example are you setting for Peter and Bobby? These people are beneath us. Don't ever apologize.
Listen Cindy, you're brother is trying to set a good example. You should follow his lead.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Jan, bitch! And I gots me some pent up frustration to work out on yo ass.
MichigaNDer...You don't have to back down, just don't use the language that I did. That's why I'm sorry.