• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cord Cutting

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking at picking up an OTA indoor antenna. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for what I should look at for features? Is there a TiVo type product out there for DVRing OTA? What else should I know that I don’t know to ask?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you put this in your attic? Should be able to find an old cable guy that would hook it up for you.

7F4E5563-07A9-4124-A9F3-6BABDC104131.png

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Page 2. But it’s been years. Still works good tho

There is one that has an 800 mile range. But is that even possible? Don’t you need essential line of sight for antennas to work? The curvature of the earth would counter that kind of range, I would think…

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one that has an 800 mile range. But is that even possible? Don’t you need essential line of sight for antennas to work? The curvature of the earth would counter that kind of range, I would think…
Not sure. The first one I sent you was the first I got that was meant to be in the window or above the TV. This next one I sent goes in your attic and it gets a bunch of channels.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. The first one I sent you was the first I got that was meant to be in the window or above the TV. This next one I sent goes in your attic and it gets a bunch of channels.
It seems most now either set up next to the tv or attach directly to the tv. But I know NOTHING about the physics of an antenna, so I don’t know what limitations exist. But an 800 mi range sound like bs.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading a few years back about a splitter-type device you could buy for an OTA antenna so you could have multiple TVs in your house.

Here's a good article that's specifically about OTA DVR. It mentions something called a networked TV streamer, which might be the same thing as what I was reading about.

Here is "the" reference site for what stations you can reach OTA:

I have a relatively basic indoor antenna. Most of the stations here are about 25 miles away. I've had issues some of those not working for long stretches, but others that are very reliable. There is one station that is less than 10 miles, and I've never have any issues with that. So a lot will depend on how close the local stations are to where you live.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't need that range anyway unless you live out in the boonies. All you get with the OTA channels in your TV market area. Stuff like NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS plus whatever affiliates they offer (stuff like MeTV, GRIT, etc).

So say where those channels broadcast from is 25 miles from your house (we'll call it City A). Buy a 50 mile range antenna and you'll get them. But say 75 miles away from your house is City B. If you buy a 100 mile range antenna, you'll end up getting channels from both cities, but its duplicates. NBC is NBC, unless you're deadset on watching local news in one place vs the other, its not worth it. Sometimes you get different NFL games, but that's about it.

You can google something like "find OTA channels in my area" and it'll give you a list of websites that you can go to, type in your address and it'll show you everything that's available within a certain range. Some of the better sites show what those stations broadcast in so you can use that info to buy the antenna you want to get that signal.

As far as brands, it may be different now because I bought mine several years back, but the Mohu Leaf is pretty good. Picks up everything it should and is easily affordable (I think it was like 20 to 25 bucks when I got it). Be sure to get one that supports NextGenTV though. That means it can pick up stations that are broadcasting in 4k and other new features, which stations have just now over the last couple of years starting to convert to.

As far as DVRs go, there are products that do exist but that's all I know. I personally never used one.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been happy since cutting the cord almost a year ago.

Signed up for YoutubeTV and Netflix.
Got Prime for free since we already had Prime for shipping.
Got Paramount and Peacock for free due to other programs.

And I'm still saving more than $100/month over DirecTV.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been happy since cutting the cord almost a year ago.

Signed up for YoutubeTV and Netflix.
Got Prime for free since we already had Prime for shipping.
Got Paramount and Peacock for free due to other programs.

And I'm still saving more than $100/month over DirecTV.
I probably should consider Youtube TV since I've been watching less and less on cable and network tv over the past few years.
How is Paramount? I have not ever gotten around to using that one. I can't really think of much I'd want to even stream on there to be honest.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably should consider Youtube TV since I've been watching less and less on cable and network tv over the past few years.
How is Paramount? I have not ever gotten around to using that one. I can't really think of much I'd want to even stream on there to be honest.
Paramount doesn't have much on it imo. Some popular series--South Park, Frasier, Billions, Your Honor. The several Star Trek series (new and old). The 2 or 3 Yellowstone prequel series. A handful of movies that are, naturally, Paramount productions. If it weren't for free, I doubt I'd have it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Currently, what do you have?? in streaming too... Youtube tv is the best live tv alternative to cable/satelite... but it is also the most expensive option currently... at 72 dollars per month for the basic plan...

Honestly, i dont think anyone needs an all in one anymore...

If you just get the premium version of Hulu/Disney/ESPN, Peacock, and paramount + you will get almost all live sports that you would have had on cable...

and who needs live tv for tv shows... the premium versions are commercial free....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see the appeal of YTTV. The price is almost the same as regular cable. Defeats the purpose.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently, what do you have?? in streaming too... Youtube tv is the best live tv alternative to cable/satelite... but it is also the most expensive option currently... at 72 dollars per month for the basic plan...

Honestly, i dont think anyone needs an all in one anymore...

If you just get the premium version of Hulu/Disney/ESPN, Peacock, and paramount + you will get almost all live sports that you would have had on cable...

and who needs live tv for tv shows... the premium versions are commercial free....
Right now, I have Netflix, Prime, Peacock and ESPN+. I’m thinking of getting Apple TV for a month or so so I can watch the Monarch show and the final season of Ted Lasso.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see the appeal of YTTV. The price is almost the same as regular cable. Defeats the purpose..

its the best alternative all in one out there... but yea, it is getting too expensive as well... but whats good is that you can sign up for a month or 2 and then cancel... just like all the other streaming... you cant really easily do that with cable/satelite...

i am thinking of resubscribing for march madness... it was absolutely amazing during that when i had it....