• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Semifinals: Boston Celtics (2) vs Philadelphia 76ers (3)

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t seem to grasp that certain things are more valuable due to position
Correct. I think the catch all analytics people are nuts. Are you telling me we should seek the opinion of Nate Silver in what gets valued in the game of basketball? I have zero fucks to give in his attempt to award 1.7 points to an assist from a center vs that of a PG being given 1.
Same reason a realmuto homer is worth more than a Hoskins homer
Additionally, these comments have nothing to do with my comment about defense.

But let’s go there anyway. These catch all stats give too much weight to defensive rebounding. That’s why Jokic gets over inflated in defensive metrics. He can’t protect the rim - when a player is needed to rim protect and challenge shots that leaves them in a poorer position to rebound from. Jokic isn’t switchable. When a 5 is switchable that will often take them to the perimeter and leaves them in a reduced rebounding position.

You seeing where I’m going now with this? Literally the only value Jokic adds is that of a defensive rebounder. It’s the only thing he can do at that end. So these catch all defensive statistics that overweight defensive rebounds essentially props him up. Meanwhile, to fans of basketball that pay attention they see a guy who can’t switch, can’t rim protect, can’t guard a player one on one. These are all things that are valued in the modern 5 that he can’t do. But for these stats? Doesn’t matter. They make him look like he’s an All Time defensive player. Now add in the fact that his back up is meh and you put in an on/off layer of getting propped up.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was game 2. You need to watch the games so you see it. I recall a game 3 shady maneuver at his knees as well. Both allowed.

I've watched every game of this series. And no Celtic went after Embiid's knee in game two. But it's hilarious you keep insisting the refs let the Celtics go after him. Homers will always homer.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I am not a big Doc fan. He's had his moments but for Embiid not to get a touch in the final 4+ minutes...that can't happen. Veteran coach needs to demand to give Embiid the ball. Yes partly the players' fault but it's the coaches' job to call plays for Embiid to give him the best opportunity. If the Sixers lose it's on Doc and they need to give him the boot. Just sayin, they could very well win and then go onto win the East, just sayin we look at every key moment with Doc now bc he is overrated.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Al Horford but I respect him. Watching him in huddles in that game, I was in awe. The Celtics didn’t even play particularly well but they competed like a son of a bitch. The way they played Embiid was a master class. And one person I left out in my lament about Embiid getting the ball late is Embiid. If you’re the MVP, you’ve got to demand the ball. You’ve gotta demand getting touches.
On Doc to call plays to get Embiid the ball. I definitely agree it's on Embiid as well but you have a coach for a reason. Both deserve blame

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Doc to call plays to get Embiid the ball. I definitely agree it's on Embiid as well but you have a coach for a reason. Both deserve blame
And Harden. The plays they ran were pick and roll and I thought Harden’s decision making was subpar. He tried to play hero ball.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest lament about last night is the missed opportunity to drop my Jayson Stark comment when Tatum was like 1-15 from the floor.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got me. I don’t even know. I think over time a young coach will rise up and replace him on that list. If I remember correctly he seemed like he was just a name with longevity that could be plugged in anyway. Actually, Doc kind of reminds me of Lenny Wilkins. Not a lot of championship level success but had the longevity and a ton of regular season wins.

I think Doc is a solid coach.

Not a great one, but solid.

The notion that his teams have underachieved is a bit unfair. Yes, there have been a couple well documented playoff collapses.

But, he has only once in his career coached a team that was a top tier title contender.

And won a title with that team.

Scott Brooks is an example of a coach who consistently got less with more. Doc pretty consistently has achieved about equal to his roster’s talent.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Doc is a solid coach.

Not a great one, but solid.

The notion that his teams have underachieved is a bit unfair. Yes, there have been a couple well documented playoff collapses.

But, he has only once in his career coached a team that was a top tier title contender.

And won a title with that team.

Scott Brooks is an example of a coach who consistently got less with more. Doc pretty consistently has achieved about equal to his roster’s talent.
I think the book is still open on this group. Maybe I’m crazy but the draw in round 2 this time around is a great basketball team who also happens to be a poor matchup for the way the Sixers are built. I think this is a championship contender so if this doesn’t work out, I think it’s worthy to be critical of the job he’s done. Personally, I don’t put last night on him. I think if you said this series would go 7, the Sixers win 2 on Boston’s home court and they win a game without Embiid most would look at that pre-series and say that Doc did a fine job. But you don’t get praised for almost good enough. He needs to turn in a gem on Sunday.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the book is still open on this group. Maybe I’m crazy but the draw in round 2 this time around is a great basketball team who also happens to be a poor matchup for the way the Sixers are built. I think this is a championship contender so if this doesn’t work out, I think it’s worthy to be critical of the job he’s done. Personally, I don’t put last night on him. I think if you said this series would go 7, the Sixers win 2 on Boston’s home court and they win a game without Embiid most would look at that pre-series and say that Doc did a fine job. But you don’t get praised for almost good enough. He needs to turn in a gem on Sunday.

The 6ers are most definitely a championship contender this year.

But in a year with more parity than ever they are one of about 10 legit contenders.

And not one of the top 3 or 4 entering the playoffs.

I would call this year’s group a 2nd tier contender. Definitely could win it, but not one of the top betting favorites.

So pretty to say the underachieved if they lose tomorrow.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 7 won't be like last night.

The league has to wait until tonight's games are over before they can set the time for this one.

Score will be 250+

Sixers will be on the short end. Tatum will make his first nine 3 pointers in the first half. I predict he'll break 50.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking Doc may need to adjust lineup tomorrow vs Celtics two big lineup packing the paint. Options are Niang or Melton for Tucker. I may lean Melton and hope and pray that he has his shot back. You can’t have Maxey Harden and Niang out there too much together. That’s 3 guys that the Celtics can hunt with their 5 out. Tough decision. I would run with Tucker but dude doesn’t seem to have confidence in his corner 3s right now. The key for me in assessing that is watching his attempts in Game 6. He seemed to hesitate in taking the shot presented. You’ve got to catch, gather, shoot in rhythm confident it’s going down to play that role. He can’t hesitate. The hesitation tells me he doesn’t have that confidence.

Or I’m completely off and all day yesterday Tucker was taking nothing but corner 3s for 90 minutes with a plan to put more work in today. I really just need a 3-8 from him with Embiid ready to crash glass vs Horford grabbing two offensive boards of the 5 misses.

I will own my shit. I looked at the switch by Joe Mazz the wrong way thinking about the Sixers defense and didn’t give enough consideration to the impact of making Tucker take shots. It was a great move for a coach who has been highly criticized in this series.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Harden. The plays they ran were pick and roll and I thought Harden’s decision making was subpar. He tried to play hero ball.
Completely agree...didn't watch entire game but caught at least the last 5-6 minutes. while, sure, might not have been a play called to just pass the ball to Embiid in the post (and, hell, maybe there was but the Cs made it difficult?) but those pick and rolls certainly could have the ball going to Embiid.

I still give most of the credit to the talk Mazzulo had where he told Tatum to stop missing all his shots.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2023 Sixers have a bunch of parallels to the 2021 Bucks. Bucks were on the precipice of firing Bud and blowing it up with the potential of Giannis begging out of Milwaukee for a championship situation. This is the most impactful Sixers game of the Process Era. Lose tomorrow and it could be the end of Doc, Morey, Harden, Tobias, or Maxey or some combination of all of that. And you may be closer to Embiid begging out to get to Miami for a Buckets reunion. No pressure. Just an entire franchise and their work for the last decade on the line with 48 minutes of basketball.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2023 Sixers have a bunch of parallels to the 2021 Bucks. Bucks were on the precipice of firing Bud and blowing it up with the potential of Giannis begging out of Milwaukee for a championship situation. This is the most impactful Sixers game of the Process Era. Lose tomorrow and it could be the end of Doc, Morey, Harden, Tobias, or Maxey or some combination of all of that. And you may be closer to Embiid begging out to get to Miami for a Buckets reunion. No pressure. Just an entire franchise and their work for the last decade on the line with 48 minutes of basketball.
More on the Bucks parallels. Bucks were a 3 seed playing a 2 seed in Brooklyn and they won a road game in Game 7 to get to ECF where they avoided the one seed because of the Hawks upsetting the Sixers.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy is stupid. It has nothing to do with travel. The nba does not want game 7 played on a Saturday night for ratings purposes which is why the suns/nuggets would have gotten the same 2 day break had it went to a game 7