• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Completely Non-FF Thoughts

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I have already finished the new episodes of The Boys. I feel empty...I hate them only dropping one per week.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I have already finished the new episodes of The Boys. I feel empty...I hate them only dropping one per week.

how I know I'm old:
when netflix-style binge-watching first started becoming 'the thing', I thought WTF, people can't just remember what happened in their favorite shows from the previous week and pick up the story line???

then I had 2 kids, and if I find a show I like these days, the wife and I wait for the full season to be released and we plow through 2-3 eps per night until its finished

Like that one a lot, figured out a few of the plot twists before they happened in the 1st season, but I'm always over-analyzing things so I don't consider that a knock on any shows. Prob won't sit down and pick it back up until the weather gets a bit colder here in Nov, so NO SPOILERS!

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how I know I'm old:
when netflix-style binge-watching first started becoming 'the thing', I thought WTF, people can't just remember what happened in their favorite shows from the previous week and pick up the story line???

then I had 2 kids, and if I find a show I like these days, the wife and I wait for the full season to be released and we plow through 2-3 eps per night until its finished

Like that one a lot, figured out a few of the plot twists before they happened in the 1st season, but I'm always over-analyzing things so I don't consider that a knock on any shows. Prob won't sit down and pick it back up until the weather gets a bit colder here in Nov, so NO SPOILERS!
I wont spoil anything. Hell I didnt watch season 1 until August. I did the same with the Umbrella academy. If youhavent seen that I highly recommend it.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont spoil anything. Hell I didnt watch season 1 until August. I did the same with the Umbrella academy. If youhavent seen that I highly recommend it.

watched season 1 of umbrella academy and I came away loving the potential, but not overly excited about the show itself. reminded me a lot of Sense8, only I really liked Sense8 season1, and season 2 just went too far off the deep end to keep my interest.

will be giving umbrella season 2 a chance, but it's on the back burner for me.

I have 3 books I want to read and a couple other shows to catch up on before going back to that one.

books:
1) They Thought They Were Free, The Germans 1933 - 45 by Milton Mayer, currently reading this one, about halfway through, and it is wild. Goes into detail via 10 regular citizens from Germany post-WWII talking about how things in Germany changed with the rise of Nazism

2) The Intelligent Investor - actively managing a small portion of my retirement savings these days, and want to get better at positioning my money for as much future success and passive income as possible.

3) The Gulag Archipelago, 1918 - 1956 by Aleksander Solzhenitsyn, kinda the flip side of the Nazi book that analyzes how countries/citizens can swing too far to the right, this analyzes post-WWII Russian prison camps and how communism pushed things too far to the left, and in both instances, resulted in the deaths of millions of people unnecessarily.

A bit heavier reading material than the normal fantasy novels I dig, but I felt like identity politics continue to push people in America away from the center and to the extremes on both sides, and I would become a better human by digging into the real-world examples of what happened in Germany and Russia. Everyone knows "Nazi is bad, Communism is bad" but I wanted to go deeper in my understanding of how and why.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched season 1 of umbrella academy and I came away loving the potential, but not overly excited about the show itself. reminded me a lot of Sense8, only I really liked Sense8 season1, and season 2 just went too far off the deep end to keep my interest.

will be giving umbrella season 2 a chance, but it's on the back burner for me.

I have 3 books I want to read and a couple other shows to catch up on before going back to that one.

books:
1) They Thought They Were Free, The Germans 1933 - 45 by Milton Mayer, currently reading this one, about halfway through, and it is wild. Goes into detail via 10 regular citizens from Germany post-WWII talking about how things in Germany changed with the rise of Nazism

2) The Intelligent Investor - actively managing a small portion of my retirement savings these days, and want to get better at positioning my money for as much future success and passive income as possible.

3) The Gulag Archipelago, 1918 - 1956 by Aleksander Solzhenitsyn, kinda the flip side of the Nazi book that analyzes how countries/citizens can swing too far to the right, this analyzes post-WWII Russian prison camps and how communism pushed things too far to the left, and in both instances, resulted in the deaths of millions of people unnecessarily.

A bit heavier reading material than the normal fantasy novels I dig, but I felt like identity politics continue to push people in America away from the center and to the extremes on both sides, and I would become a better human by digging into the real-world examples of what happened in Germany and Russia. Everyone knows "Nazi is bad, Communism is bad" but I wanted to go deeper in my understanding of how and why.
I am usually a fantasy book reader myself but I will dip my toe into the horror genre for a good Stephen King book. I liked the Ready Player One movie so I read the book and liked it so much that I read it again less than two months later. Fantastic book. Unfortunately now that im back to work 5 days a week if its not an audiobook I dont get to do much reading. So I am going back through the Drizzt series by Salvatore, by far my favorite book series.

Also season 2 of Umbrella is different than season 1 but I might have liked it more.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the Ready Player One movie so I read the book and liked it so much that I read it again less than two months later. Fantastic book.

i made the mistake of reading the book 1st, so i thought the movie was trash, lol
excellent read for anyone, I'd argue from about 12yrs old and up - there are a few PG13 themes/moments that would get lost on most younger kids.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just started The Queen's Gambit on netflix - 4 eps in, and like it a lot

making it hard for me to finally finish Clone Wars, I'm on season 6 there, but wife doesn't really care for Star Wars and we can watch Queen's Gambit together. Really want to start playing chess again, used to play very regularly growing up.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

making it hard for me to finally finish Clone Wars, I'm on season 6 there, but wife doesn't really care for Star Wars and we can watch Queen's Gambit together. Really want to start playing chess again, used to play very regularly growing up.
I just finished watching Queen Gambit, was pretty good.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We watched it right after it came out. Never was into chess, but the storytelling was excellent IMHO. Great little mini series

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

absolutely loved it.......

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@TREFF @averagejoe Ya gotta luv Hockey
This was awesome.
It reminded me of our dog Molly. She was a Lab-Bassett mix. When I would set up the ice rink in the backyard, she loved playing fetch with the pucks. She was an awesome dog.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw this one on my Huskers fans FB page..got a nice chuckle..but they really should've choose L. David (honestly Devin White, but he ain't a Husker)
FB_IMG_1610979473252.jpg

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw this one on my Huskers fans FB page..got a nice chuckle..but they really should've choose L. David (honestly Devin White, but he ain't a Husker)
View attachment 262646
There wasn’t any shenanigans last time so that’s all I can ask for. When he was in Detroit he was dirty as hell

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn’t any shenanigans last time so that’s all I can ask for. When he was in Detroit he was dirty as hell
Its funny how he quite literally was a saint on and off the field in college...his charitable work in Lincoln was the talk of the town, and continues to this day...and was pretty much a model citizen in Miami, LA, and now in TB. Its almost as if Detroit is just a place where bad shit happens