• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Complete List of Rule changes Approved By the Comp Committee

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no changes to what is or isnt a catch?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who don't understand the difference

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am still confused on the Chop Block...Does this mean Cut Blocks are still legal because Chop Blocks have been illegal for quite some time.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right but this was illegal already so no need for the rule to be approved again.

What is a chop block and why is the NFL considering eliminating it?

Excerpt

A Chop Block is a legal block in the following situations on Running Plays:

(a) Offensive players A1 and A2, who are initially aligned adjacent to each another on the line of scrimmage, may chop a defensive player.

(b) Offensive players A1 and A2, who are initially aligned more than one position away from each other on the line of scrimmage, may chop a defensive player when the flow of the play is toward the block.

(c) A1 is lined up in the backfield at the snap and subsequently chops a defensive player engaged above the waist by A2, and such block occurs outside the area originally occupied by the tight end on either side.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am still confused on the Chop Block...Does this mean Cut Blocks are still legal because Chop Blocks have been illegal for quite some time.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no changes to what is or isnt a catch?

They have already "unofficially" changed the rule. It started in the playoffs this past year.

Basically close calls like Dez/Fitz are going to be ruled a catch which can then be challenged & reviewed. It won't get overturned unless there is enough evidence to do so.

So it's more likely that all those catches that many people think were incorrectly ruled incompletely will now stay complete upon being ruled complete & then challenged.

No official rule change.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chop blocks were still legal in certain circumstances. Now they are all illegal from this point forward.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the chop block as...you are now no longer allowed to simply dive at the defenders' legs, knees, feet, in order to try and block them.

Before, you could still do this, but they had restrictions on how/when.

Now it's just illegal.

This is the best change they had, other than making the PAT rule permanent.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 is unnecessary. Change for the sake of change. Not a big deal I guess, and I do like being able to return a blocked PAT.

3 and 16 are a bad idea. Just going to cause more confusion, more flags, and more ref involvement in the game.

The rest I don't really take an issue with.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the chop block as...you are now no longer allowed to simply dive at the defenders' legs, knees, feet, in order to try and block them.

Before, you could still do this, but they had restrictions on how/when.

Now it's just illegal.

This is the best change they had, other than making the PAT rule permanent.

Not true. At least from what I understand. An OL player can still go low just as long as the Defensive Player is not engaged by another blocker. Difference between Cut Block and Chop Block.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC's proposal is ridiculous....
  • The Kansas City Chiefs are proposing a rule that would prohibit a quarterback from falling to the ground, getting up, then throwing a forward pass. The Seahawks might not like this proposed change.

If a QB is not down by contact and he get's up and makes a play it's exciting and absolutely not an issue... It's not like it happens very often...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. At least from what I understand. An OL player can still go low just as long as the Defensive Player is not engaged by another blocker. Difference between Cut Block and Chop Block.
You could be right.

Though, I still believe at some point, you will no longer be allowed to block low period. If the NFL is really concerned about player safety, that is one that should be a no-brainer, IMO. Either you are good enough to block straight up, or you can find a new job.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you still saw chop blocks quite a bit on running downs in which case a lot of the times it would be okay. They were illegal on ALL passing/kicking plays which is where I often most saw them called. But on a run play I used to see chop blocking all the time and found it confusing until I just accepted that it must be legal in the run game, which sure enough if you read the rules it mostly was.

Now it's just illegal.

If we're going to give out all these protection rules for runningbacks, QBs, and WRs, then D-Lineman should also get them. Chop blocks IMO are one of the worst things you can do to a D-Lineman. Some 300 lb guy with a hard plastic helmet diving at your knees which are already supporting 300 lbs (in most cases) of weight in a pile of running? Good lord.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC's proposal is ridiculous....
  • The Kansas City Chiefs are proposing a rule that would prohibit a quarterback from falling to the ground, getting up, then throwing a forward pass. The Seahawks might not like this proposed change.

If a QB is not down by contact and he get's up and makes a play it's exciting and absolutely not an issue... It's not like it happens very often...

K, then if WR and RB touch the ground without contact they are down by contact as well.

KC just realizes they lost Justin Houston and is looking for as much help as possible to get sacks.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K, then if WR and RB touch the ground without contact they are down by contact as well.

KC just realizes they lost Justin Houston and is looking for as much help as possible to get sacks.
First I think it's stupid. However I understand the thought process. The difference between a QB and the others is it can appear the QB is giving himself up. Thus defenders caught in a catch 22. Especially now with the two PF ejection rule.