• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

commanders off season thread 2023

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe in drafting BPA...never have and never will.
I remember having that debate for several years covering hundreds of posts over time with some adamantly insisting on BPA, some insisting on drafting for need, while others (myself included) argued in favor of BPA at a position of need. It would not surprise me if the debate resurfaced as we get closer to this year's draft.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember having that debate for several years covering hundreds of posts over time with some adamantly insisting on BPA, some insisting on drafting for need, while others (myself included) argued in favor of BPA at a position of need. It would not surprise me if the debate resurfaced as we get closer to this year's draft.
I agree with the BPA at a position of need.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think BPA at a position of need also but in todays NFL you have to look at can I replace a large contract with a rookie contract. It isn't the determinating factor but has to be considered. I think that is why Phil Martin was drafted last year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will because I believe like you do and I believe in drafting for value . I believe drafting Mathis in round 2 didn’t fit value

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will because I believe like you do and I believe in drafting for value . I believe drafting Mathis in round 2 didn’t fit value

but it could fill a major hole if Payne leaves. I think that had alot to do with that pick. Just like drafting a CB high this year b/c Fuller is probably leaving in 2024.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but it could fill a major hole if Payne leaves. I think that had alot to do with that pick. Just like drafting a CB high this year b/c Fuller is probably leaving in 2024.
Do you understand value as it applies to the draft ?

do you understand there are DTs we can draft In this draft ?

mathis could have been had later

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you understand value as it applies to the draft ?

do you understand there are DTs we can draft In this draft ?

mathis could have been had later

in your rankings maybe. They saw value in him late 2nd round. Then 3rd round we got Robinson. I can't argue with last year's draft at all.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in your rankings maybe. They saw value in him late 2nd round. Then 3rd round we got Robinson. I can't argue with last year's draft at all.
Of course you won't. You have said we must "trust the coaches". I have told you that was foolish and you ignored it until the Scott Turner collapse. I told you that would happen and you called me out for not being "positive". You have now admitted what I said 3 year ago about Turner.

Mathis didn't make sense for several reasons. Mathis represented drafting DLine with a 1st or 2nd-round pick in 5 out of the last 6 years in the draft. To me, that is not a sound draft strategy and does not make sense to allocate that many high draft picks into one single unit.

That pick was mostly made due to Rivera's poor decisions of cutting IMan (after he said he wasn't) and letting Settle walk. Neither IMan or Settle are All-Pro players, but cutting them or letting them walk created an unnecessary depth hole. Rivera created a hole and had to fill it. Instead of using that pick on bolstering his weakened OLine or finding a starter/spot starter at LB, he felt he had to go DLine.

Instead, Rivera brought back Mayo and Bostic to spot start or provide depth at LB. The results were predictably bad as anyone with common sense knew that. I know you think Bostic does "ok" but the numbers prove otherwise. Rivera's strategy of bringing back former CAR players to start on the OLine also provided to be a disaster. A 2nd round pick could have easily come in to start at Guard or start at LB or provide talented depth. Once Holcomb went down, that 2nd rounder would have played meaningful minutes...instead...we saw Bostic play the human matador out there.

Why would Rivera start planning on Payne leaving or signal to him that his job is on the line prior to Payne even becoming a free agent? That made no sense. If he wanted Payne gone...trade him. There is no reason to broadcast to the world that his replacement is ready to go. Either Rivera was drafting Payne's replacement prior to negotiating with him OR he was bringing in depth for a hole HE created.

You refuse to admit that Rivera has made draft mistakes Dean even though the evidence proves otherwise. You simply refuse to the big picture.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you won't. You have said we must "trust the coaches". I have told you that was foolish and you ignored it until the Scott Turner collapse. I told you that would happen and you called me out for not being "positive". You have now admitted what I said 3 year ago about Turner.

Mathis didn't make sense for several reasons. Mathis represented drafting DLine with a 1st or 2nd-round pick in 5 out of the last 6 years in the draft. To me, that is not a sound draft strategy and does not make sense to allocate that many high draft picks into one single unit.

That pick was mostly made due to Rivera's poor decisions of cutting IMan (after he said he wasn't) and letting Settle walk. Neither IMan or Settle are All-Pro players, but cutting them or letting them walk created an unnecessary depth hole. Rivera created a hole and had to fill it. Instead of using that pick on bolstering his weakened OLine or finding a starter/spot starter at LB, he felt he had to go DLine.

Instead, Rivera brought back Mayo and Bostic to spot start or provide depth at LB. The results were predictably bad as anyone with common sense knew that. I know you think Bostic does "ok" but the numbers prove otherwise. Rivera's strategy of bringing back former CAR players to start on the OLine also provided to be a disaster. A 2nd round pick could have easily come in to start at Guard or start at LB or provide talented depth. Once Holcomb went down, that 2nd rounder would have played meaningful minutes...instead...we saw Bostic play the human matador out there.

Why would Rivera start planning on Payne leaving or signal to him that his job is on the line prior to Payne even becoming a free agent? That made no sense. If he wanted Payne gone...trade him. There is no reason to broadcast to the world that his replacement is ready to go. Either Rivera was drafting Payne's replacement prior to negotiating with him OR he was bringing in depth for a hole HE created.

You refuse to admit that Rivera has made draft mistakes Dean even though the evidence proves otherwise. You simply refuse to the big picture.

IMO if Payne was not going to be a FA this year that pick would have not been made. RR drafts have been fine. Mathis was not a huge reach at all. Its unfortunate that he got hurt. If you are calling CY a draft mistake, then i totally disagree with you

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO if Payne was not going to be a FA this year that pick would have not been made. RR drafts have been fine. Mathis was not a huge reach at all. Its unfortunate that he got hurt. If you are calling CY a draft mistake, then i totally disagree with you
I am not going to argue with you on this Dean. I literally just showed you why it was a bad and unnecessary pick. I am not going to redo the Wentz and Turner-type discussions with you again. You are clearly wrong but will not admit it.

Rivera's draft's have been confusing to say the least. There have been some good picks and some terrible picks. Overall, I give him a C+.

I didn't say Mathis as a reach...I said it was a pick that should NOT have been made. Yes, I have said Young was a mistake and I was against the pick prior to when it was made. Young has all the talent in the world but I had concerns about his character and did NOT see the need to draft DLine 4 years in a row. I am not even sure his option gets picked up and Rivera is clearly having thoughts about it. I think Rivera is going to be bullied into picking up the option because he doesn't want to admit that the pick has not worked out. I think the option should get picked up because of the injury, not because he was the #2 overall pick.

I could not care less if you disagree with me. You disagree with me on everything and get frustrated when I show you why you were wrong or why your logic doesn't make sense. For the sanity of the board, I suggest we move on.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add to it ridgeway was a 5th round pick and he showed more then Mathis

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to argue with you on this Dean. I literally just showed you why it was a bad and unnecessary pick. I am not going to redo the Wentz and Turner-type discussions with you again. You are clearly wrong but will not admit it.

Rivera's draft's have been confusing to say the least. There have been some good picks and some terrible picks. Overall, I give him a C+.

I didn't say Mathis as a reach...I said it was a pick that should NOT have been made. Yes, I have said Young was a mistake and I was against the pick prior to when it was made. Young has all the talent in the world but I had concerns about his character and did NOT see the need to draft DLine 4 years in a row. I am not even sure his option gets picked up and Rivera is clearly having thoughts about it. I think Rivera is going to be bullied into picking up the option because he doesn't want to admit that the pick has not worked out. I think the option should get picked up because of the injury, not because he was the #2 overall pick.

I could not care less if you disagree with me. You disagree with me on everything and get frustrated when I show you why you were wrong or why your logic doesn't make sense. For the sanity of the board, I suggest we move on.

so you already writing off Mathis after the injury? you can disagree with pick. no worries but Payne had alot to do with that pick. who is talking about Wentz and Turner? The draft has been RR strong point while he is here if you ask me. Coaching and GM duties have been his weak points.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you already writing off Mathis after the injury? you can disagree with pick. no worries but Payne had alot to do with that pick. who is talking about Wentz and Turner? The draft has been RR strong point while he is here if you ask me. Coaching and GM duties have been his weak points.
Where did I say I was writing off Mathis? We don't know anything about him as a pro really. He could be a bust or he could be the next Warren Sapp...we don't know. I disagreed with the strategy and still do.

If Payne re-signs, then the pick was made for backup purposes. That doesn't make much sense to me for several reasons. First of all, we needed starters at other positions or we needed to reinforce positions of weakness in general such as OLine and LB. Using a 2nd round pick for depth only is a luxury we do not have at this point. If we are the Chiefs or Eagles...sure. But we have a poor roster and need as much talent as possible with many units.

Secondly, I believe it sent the wrong message to Payne. To me, it signaled that we are fine with him walking as his backup was a high round pick ready to be plugged in. To me, that doesn't show much confidence in Payne as a player or that Rivera is anticipating the negotiations not amounting to much. If this is the case then we need to go DE in the 1st or 2nd because Young and Sweat are now in the same position Payne was last year right? Would you support burning a 2nd round pick on a DE?

For depth, I don't think the pick should have been considered if IMan would have been retained. Rivera cut the DLine depth and then went after the OLine. I am very happy with the Ridgeway pick up, but puzzled why IMan was cut when we had plenty of cap room and he had an above-average 2021 season. He is a quality back up. Basically, Rivera needlessly created a hole and had to fill it. He chose to do so with a high round pick when other units on the field were in much worse shape. You complained non-stop about the OLine but have yet to admit that the 2nd round pick should have gone to the OLine. Why are you not going after Rivera for not addressing the OLine with that pick?

I mention Wentz and Turner because you are pulling the same stunt here. Many have told you that you put on blinders and refuse to see the bigger picture. This is why many posters don't engage you and others ignore your posts.

Umm...drafting is a GM duty Dean? You aren't making any sense. If his GM duties have been a weak point but his drafting has been strong...doesn't that cancel each other out? I disagree 100% with your comment about Rivera's drafts but whatever.