• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dostal stood on his head last night (Ducks record 55 saves). He also played great in a recent game versus the Flames. Ducks have found themselved a goalie I believe.

Now they can unload Gibson. Maybe for Reaves, he is the prototypical Duck.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tre is working the phones trying to get both Markstrom and Tanev.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If $11M is the number, is Marner gone in a fire-sale? (in the summer)

Money isn’t really the issue - Leafs have cap space even with the extensions to make everything work, especially with JT’s contract coming off the books - but to overspend on him again after not going anywhere on the last overspend doesn’t make any sense. Max you can give him is whatever Nylander gets and if he says no you move him.

My guess is his dad will probably make him ask for the moon again and hopefully Tre has the foresight not to fall into the same trap Dubas did.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else been watching Borje on Crave TV? We've just watched 3 episodes and in my opinion, it's not too, too bad. There's been a couple of liberties taken with the timeline, but overall, it's been pretty accurate, at least from how I remember things.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent watched the Leafs much this year. Would you pay both the (roughly) same amount?
Something’s up with him this year for sure. There’s something missing there with his speed which obviously trickles down to the rest of his game.

But, unless there’s some serious medical reason to not want to sign him, and if there’s no realistic deal to be made where moving him out can land Toronto a legit superstar 1D (which is what they still need more than anything else), yes I’d do that deal.

He had back to back 100 pt pace seasons and even in this off year he’s still averaging over a PPG. He’s their best defensive top six forward. He’s effective on the PK. He’s absolutely snakebitten in the playoffs but hardly the first guy that’s happened to and he only needs one strong run to contribute to a good Cup chase. And unless Tre gets really shrewd and can go find a possible point per game player sleeping under the radar somehow for cheaper any replacement winger even close to that production is going to cost $8-9 mil/yr anyway and not be nearly as good. For an extra $2 mil/yr Marner’s worth the premium on that.

But I can’t stress enough, the blue line is an absolute problem that needs to be solved and this team most likely isn’t going anywhere until it is and if that took sacrificing Marner to do it it would be an easy decision.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s sad is 1) I think this list is accurate, 2) I don’t think anything on this list gets you much in return, 3) that list is pretty much everything the Leafs did prospect-wise during the Dubas years and it isn’t worth shit.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not think Willy would get 8x11.5 from TOR.

Another team, maybe, not TOR.

Wow.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but he might have to look at another team to get that kind of contract.

Agreed. TOR would be insane to sign him at that price point.

Per CapFriendly, TOR will have 4 of the top 11 paid players next season.

That. Is. Insane.

You would think they have won something.....(other than a couple Rocket Richard trophies)

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. TOR would be insane to sign him at that price point.

Per CapFriendly, TOR will have 4 of the top 11 paid players next season.

That. Is. Insane.

You would think they have won something.....(other than a couple Rocket Richard trophies)
Looking at their cap hit will have 52 million tied up to 8 forwards next year. I will be very interested to see how their roster pans out.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
William making sure he gets paid just in case there's another work stoppage.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nylander can produce what he’s producing at for another 4 or 5 years it’s fine. He’s also the only Leaf who consistently shows up in the playoffs. That’s worth something.

They also still have $21 mil or so left in cap space for next year before any other moves, with only the blue line really needing any significant investment.

Really boils down to whether they want to deal with another Paul Marner negotiation and how the playoffs go (if they make it).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bourne has a point here. Seems like with both AM and Willy it was just “tell us what you want and it’s yours”.