• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Something" probably means a coaching change. Really nothing else can be done right now. I am not saying it is the right answer or it will work, but they cant revamp the roster midseason. And if that doesn't work......

Ah, but then the offseason. I dont know if you can win with a "Core 4" but I think they have proven you cannot win if you are paying 4 of the top 10 or 11 salaries in the League. AM34 isnt going anywhere and neither is Willy. If JT signs for half of what he is getting now, he might stay on.

And that leaves Mitch. Full NMC for one more year, then you absolutely HAVE to let him walk. Even if he is worth the $$ he thinks he is, the Leafs cant afford him (that whole 4 of top 10 thing again). Me, I would very carefully try to work on him to waive the NMC this offseason. But I admit, that will blow up because: his camp will leak it, fans will REALLY let him know what they think, his fee-fees will get hurt, and the Marner-era will end as a shitshow.

After reading that, I am back on the coaching change bandwagon. Sure, a Core 4 CAN win!!!!!!
Keefe’s been getting outcoached for years now and Tre gave him an extension. Maybe they eat it but it was clear long ago he isn’t good and when presented with a clear opportunity to move on from him they inexplicably doubled down.

And it’s been half a season and basically all of Tre’s signings haven’t worked out.

They were hamstrung by the cap freeze during the prime years of the core and Tavares is getting old fast so it may be too late anyway but a bad coach plus Tre’s shitty summer signings are all contributing to this today. If they’re sticking with Keefe start making trades. If not can him now before the west coast trip and let someone else take a stab at it this season.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Tre came in and blew $11 mil of cap space on Klingberg, Domi, Reaves and Kampf solving exactly zero problems this team had?

That was nice.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His parents pump up his confidence every night.
You're good enough Mitchy, and gosh darn it, people like you!
“You’re great Mitch, it’s your linemates’ fault. I’ll go talk to the coach.”

So glad I get to see the 18 wheeler in person on Saturday!

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old school metric (ties are ties and men were men)

Leafs are 13-13-16

Seems pretty meh to me. Certainly not a "great" team. Sorry Mitchy.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old school metric (ties are ties and men were men)

Leafs are 13-13-16

Seems pretty meh to me. Certainly not a "great" team. Sorry Mitchy.
The audacity of calling themselves a “great team” is insane.

You guys have been together for a decade and have one playoff round victory. You’re on the verge of being outside the playoff standings. What in the hell is great about you???

Reminds me of Rick Tocchet earlier this year after Vancouver got off to a good start saying something like “we aren’t anybody, we haven’t earned any right to talk”. Keefe should be in the media today telling the players they haven’t earned shit to be called great (but then he’ll have to apologize to poor Mitchy for calling him out again lol).

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The audacity of calling themselves a “great team” is insane.

You guys have been together for a decade and have one playoff round victory. You’re on the verge of being outside the playoff standings. What in the hell is great about you???

Reminds me of Rick Tocchet earlier this year after Vancouver got off to a good start saying something like “we aren’t anybody, we haven’t earned any right to talk”. Keefe should be in the media today telling the players they haven’t earned shit to be called great (but then he’ll have to apologize to poor Mitchy for calling him out again lol).

Keefe should ask Mitchy for a list of players that are "great".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that’s disappointing here is that even if you don’t think Tre is a good GM it’s hard to argue that he was very good at putting together competent blue lines. He did so consistently in Calgary.

His blue line idea here was to blow a massive chunk of what little cap room he had to bring in a shittier, older, more injured version of Morgan Rielly.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews a one man wrecking crew tonight - Hat trick and knocked Pospisil out of the game with an accidental trip.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite company.

I found this a little hard to believe. Another excuse to read silly stats

So 5+ hatties in a year has only been done 32 times. The name that jumped out at me as a WTF was Mirko Frycer who had 5 in the 82-83 season.

4 times is practically common (57 times)

Of course, some punk named Gretzky has the record. 10 hat tricks in one season. And he did it twice.

Last edited:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just fucking lazy. How do you have the talent you have on the roster and decide to just wave the fucking flag in January? Even with all of the shit play lately this team is 11 points back of first in the Eastern Conference with a game in hand on Boston. Their 6 pts behind Florida with a game in hand. The issues with the roster can be fixed if you get off your lazy ass and make some trades.

It's bananas to consider wasting a season with these guys all in their primes and in the last year of their contracts being on the cheaper side.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Marner, slot Robertson into the top 6 regularly, spend the savings on defence and depth scoring.

You’re welcome.