• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lot of rumo(u)rs it'll be Columbus. If Marner wanted to sign for 7, it probably would have already been done. He wants 4 or 5, and the Jackets aren't giving up 4 firsts to go through this again with him as an UFA almost before the picks have all been spent.

I wonder if the Jackets do it to try and force the Leafs into a position to have to move someone who I hope is Nylander.

Speaking of:

He's switching back to #88 and will cover anyone who wants to get their jersey re-done.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, that's could be the ploy right, you might offer sheet Marner and the Leafs match, but then they have to move another player because they're either over the cap or have no cap flexibility left and then you end up with a guy like Nylander.

/Kind of like when the Sharks submitted an offer sheet for Super Nintendo Hjalmarsson that the Hawks matched, but they ended up with Antti Niemi as a consolation prize.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, that's could be the ploy right, you might offer sheet Marner and the Leafs match, but then they have to move another player because they're either over the cap or have no cap flexibility left and then you end up with a guy like Nylander.

/Kind of like when the Sharks submitted an offer sheet for Super Nintendo Hjalmarsson that the Hawks matched, but they ended up with Antti Niemi as a consolation prize.

The math doesnt work though. If you sign Marner for an AAV that is less than the 10.5M AAV (or so), the Leafs have the cap room and will match. If the offer sheet > 10.5M, Toronto takes the 4 firsts. There is no path that forces Toronto to trade a Nylander. Well, not unless they want to anyway because they think he is overpaid. And right now, the Leafs dont see Willy that way.

I kind of agree with Bobby Mac, at least hope that is the Toronto management perspective.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The math doesnt work though. If you sign Marner for an AAV that is less than the 10.5M AAV (or so), the Leafs have the cap room and will match. If the offer sheet > 10.5M, Toronto takes the 4 firsts. There is no path that forces Toronto to trade a Nylander. Well, not unless they want to anyway because they think he is overpaid. And right now, the Leafs dont see Willy that way.

I kind of agree with Bobby Mac, at least hope that is the Toronto management perspective.

First of all, the Jackets do not have the picks to offer below 10.5. So it would be that or nothing from us. I hope nothing.

But where are the Leafs getting cap space? CapFriendly shows them at 3.5m in space right now with Horton's 5.3 coming off too. What am I missing?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, the Jackets do not have the picks to offer below 10.5. So it would be that or nothing from us. I hope nothing.

But where are the Leafs getting cap space? CapFriendly shows them at 3.5m in space right now with Horton's 5.3 coming off too. What am I missing?
Hyman and Dermott will both be on LTIR until December at least. That gives them a few months of the season to either build one of Kapanen or (more likely) Johnsson for a trade or by that time someone else is on LTIR.

Regardless, there’s no way they don’t match if it’s not above the 4 pick threshold.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyman and Dermott will both be on LTIR until December at least. That gives them a few months of the season to either build one of Kapanen or (more likely) Johnsson for a trade or by that time someone else is on LTIR.

Regardless, there’s no way they don’t match if it’s not above the 4 pick threshold.

Just to add, the CapFriendly "roster" already has 23 players including 13F and 8D. Marner would replace 1 of the F ("creating" at least 700K of space), and the 8D include the likes of Justin Holl, Martin Marincin and Ben Harpur, all of whom would be zero loss if the team tried to waive them to send down to the A.

It is expected the Leafs will run with < 23 players if needed to fit under the Cap.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think Jarmo would be insane to lose 4 picks on a contract offer less than 7 years.

Haven't you called him insane many times before? :scratch:

Oh I remember now, he is a bald Finnish f*ckwit. :pound:

Would not surprise me if an offer sheet is signed, then the Leafs and the other team work out a deal so that fewer Firsts are given up in exchange for NHL-caliber(re) players. Like a good D man.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I remember now, he is a bald Finnish f*ckwit. :pound:

Would not surprise me if an offer sheet is signed, then the Leafs and the other team work out a deal so that fewer Firsts are given up in exchange for NHL-caliber(re) players. Like a good D man.

He *was* the bald, finnish fuckwit. Now he is approaching Jedi mind-trick level wizardry at times.

Would that be allowed? Seems to me that the rules are absolute. Or do you mean the Jackets complete the deal and then send, say Murray to TO for some of the picks "back"?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He *was* the bald, finnish fuckwit. Now he is approaching Jedi mind-trick level wizardry at times.

Would that be allowed? Seems to me that the rules are absolute. Or do you mean the Jackets complete the deal and then send, say Murray to TO for some of the picks "back"?

Not sure of the rules, but I would imagine it could be done that way. Or the old NBA-style sign and trade for the negotiated package.

No doubt a typo, but you meant David Savard and not Ryan Murray, correct? :D

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure of the rules, but I would imagine it could be done that way. Or the old NBA-style sign and trade for the negotiated package.

No doubt a typo, but you meant David Savard and not Ryan Murray, correct? :D

You would actually take David Savard over Ryan Murray and give first round picks to do so?

Hol up. Lemme call that Bald Finnish Fuckwit.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things whether or not Marner signs with the Leafs or takes his talents elsewhere? If I was the Leafs I'd be hoping another team offers him enough and I take the 4 firsts. With Freddy as your starting goalie, your high water mark is the conference finals anyways and that is if you don't overwork him. I don't mean to be a downer but those are the facts. Ride Sparks and dump Freddy and then you might have a chance.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think Jarmo would be insane to lose 4 picks on a contract offer less than 7 years.
I wouldn’t give someone four picks for Mitch Marner.

I honestly don’t think anybody else thinks otherwise.

Just to add, the CapFriendly "roster" already has 23 players including 13F and 8D. Marner would replace 1 of the F ("creating" at least 700K of space), and the 8D include the likes of Justin Holl, Martin Marincin and Ben Harpur, all of whom would be zero loss if the team tried to waive them to send down to the A.

It is expected the Leafs will run with < 23 players if needed to fit under the Cap.
A lot of the guys listed are on two ways. They can be fully buried without issue.

The only reason they’re on the Leafs’ roster right now is because the Marlies roster is full.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t give someone four picks for Mitch Marner.

If we could lock him up real long term, it might be worth it. But I generally agree.

And considering how Jarmo just thumbed his nose at recent big names, he probably doesn't think he should either.

I might do it for McDavid, but that's the only guy in the league currently worth it.

Teams have different priorities. We need a face of the franchise as we just lost three of them. Not saying Marner is it, but he's the closest available.