• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not happy about this
I don't mind Bob but there were problems there. He really doesn't care much for hockey - I don't think he even watches Leaf games - and that's fine when the Leafs suck for a decade and all you gotta say is "welp, they're ruining the team but baseball starts in 3 months and the NFL is ongoing!" but the fact the Leafs are good now and the competition at TSN are all hockey guys has crashed his ratings. Bringing in Richard Deitch for some weird reason and not to mention Stephen Brunt didn't freshen anything up.

He's really into baseball, which is fine but nobody gives a rat's ass about the Jays when they suck and spending entire hours talking about MLB while the Raptors were making a Finals run was probably counterproductive. He does spend a decent amount of time talking about the Raptors though, more than TSN does.

But more than anything, he made a million dollars a year and that's just insane money for radio.

He's very good at what he does, he's a great interviewer, he just probably isn't worth the cost at this point for what he brings in a dying medium.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Bob but there were problems there. He really doesn't care much for hockey - I don't think he even watches Leaf games - and that's fine when the Leafs suck for a decade and all you gotta say is "welp, they're ruining the team but baseball starts in 3 months and the NFL is ongoing!" but the fact the Leafs are good now and the competition at TSN are all hockey guys has crashed his ratings. Bringing in Richard Deitch for some weird reason and not to mention Stephen Brunt didn't freshen anything up.

He's really into baseball, which is fine but nobody gives a rat's ass about the Jays when they suck and spending entire hours talking about MLB while the Raptors were making a Finals run was probably counterproductive. He does spend a decent amount of time talking about the Raptors though, more than TSN does.

But more than anything, he made a million dollars a year and that's just insane money for radio.

He's very good at what he does, he's a great interviewer, he just probably isn't worth the cost at this point for what he brings in a dying medium.
The Fan590 is focused too much on hockey. I mean all through the Raptors run we had baseball central at 11am and then hockey central at noon. No basketball show unless you catch Eric Smith and Jones the odd time on hoops which they would air at MIDNIGHT. The demographic is changing. I think the "hockey pucks" as Bob would call them are worried.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fan590 is focused too much on hockey. I mean all through the Raptors run we had baseball central at 11am and then hockey central at noon. No basketball show unless you catch Eric Smith and Jones the odd time on hoops which they would air at MIDNIGHT. The demographic is changing. I think the "hockey pucks" as Bob would call them are worried.
They definitely didn't read the market and take advantage. It was only during the Finals that they really started to go wall-to-wall and even then, with that and the Cup Final going on, they were dedicating significant time to the Jays.

There really shouldn't have been anything other than Raptors coverage on either station for the last month. Yeah do some token hockey coverage because the Cup was happening and there was some intermittent Leaf news but otherwise nobody cared about anything but the Raptors.

I remember sometime last week between game 6 and 7 Bob and Deitch spent 12 minutes talking about Bo Bichette. Like, come on.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably wishful thinking but maybe SN saw how much people liked all the NBA coverage and the fact that it wasn't constant negativity and seriousness and incoherent (ok, save Barkley) and decided to go more in that direction.

Maclean, Cherry, Kypreos and Hrudey all gone would be a great start. If Friedman can go back to not being a shit-stirring troll that would be good too.

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Corey Perry just bought a 7+ million dollar house in London...:scratch:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a crock of shit.

The reason the Leafs had to trade Marleau at all was because he refused to sign here without the third year at equal salary as the two year offer and because our GM at the time was a sentient raisin he gave it to him, ostensibly because he would help "guide" the young kids here - apparently to never leave a dollar on the table since all of them milked the club dry despite the fact their lifetime earning capability as a player here is millions more than any other market in the league.

He then completely lost the ability to play a regular schedule early in year two and despite being asked to manage his load so he would be fresher for the playoffs he refused because his dumb "ironman" streak that literally nobody will remember 5 minutes after he retires was so much more important to him than winning the Cup.

So of course once the playoffs came around he became the place play went to die when on the ice because his body had completely failed by that point. So how does he follow that up? He asks for a fucking trade out of that final year he was adamant about getting!

Eat a bag of dicks, Marleau. I hope you wind up in Edmonton.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caption time:

D9sRTo0XkAcVfrW.jpg:large

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a crock of shit.

The reason the Leafs had to trade Marleau at all was because he refused to sign here without the third year at equal salary as the two year offer and because our GM at the time was a sentient raisin he gave it to him, ostensibly because he would help "guide" the young kids here - apparently to never leave a dollar on the table since all of them milked the club dry despite the fact their lifetime earning capability as a player here is millions more than any other market in the league.

He then completely lost the ability to play a regular schedule early in year two and despite being asked to manage his load so he would be fresher for the playoffs he refused because his dumb "ironman" streak that literally nobody will remember 5 minutes after he retires was so much more important to him than winning the Cup.

So of course once the playoffs came around he became the place play went to die when on the ice because his body had completely failed by that point. So how does he follow that up? He asks for a fucking trade out of that final year he was adamant about getting!

Eat a bag of dicks, Marleau. I hope you wind up in Edmonton.

Wow that seems harsh. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE knew that third year was going to be a problem. Except apparently the Leafs. Marleau could of said FU to the trade but he didn't. He listed his house a couple of weeks ago. I think he is being a pretty good guy in this situation. They brought him in to mentor not score and I think he did a pretty good job of it. Was he disappointing last year? Yeah he was. But he did exactly what we asked him to.

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those Iron man streaks always end terribly. I know you remember Cal jr.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that seems harsh. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE knew that third year was going to be a problem. Except apparently the Leafs. Marleau could of said FU to the trade but he didn't. He listed his house a couple of weeks ago. I think he is being a pretty good guy in this situation. They brought him in to mentor not score and I think he did a pretty good job of it. Was he disappointing last year? Yeah he was. But he did exactly what we asked him to.
OK but how did he do a great job mentoring? Does Auston Matthews not score 40 goals without him? Does Marner not score 90 pts without him? Does Kadri stop getting suspended for the playoffs with him? Like where did this mentoring become apparent on the ice?

Like I said, the only thing it seems he mentored the kids to do was hold out until they get paid exactly what they want and all three of the big RFA's did/are doing exactly that.

And he never came out and said anything like he shouldn't have asked for the third year, that it was a mistake, etc. He just said he didn't want to play in Toronto anymore after having his agent haggle them for the third year.

The entire exercise of bringing him here was pointless and it was exacerbated by his own stubbornness. I don't think that's being harsh at all.