• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Darren, just like your backyard rink that you build every year, nobody cares.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it was an educated guess on who might clear waivers? :noidea:

Seems like an obvious trade situation, although I doubt any of them would net more than a 4th. Would like to see a few trades actually, to give some guys a chance to get to the NHL. Including forwards.

Yep, this was asset management more than it was anyone winning the job.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had his chance to shine here. He couldn't, but maybe things will turn out for him there.

Now, if Martin Marincin could find his way to the KHL...

He didn't PK and Babcock all but demanded it from that roster spot so he really wasn't a great fit from the start. Good pick up for Dallas though I think.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, this was asset management more than it was anyone winning the job.
This assumes that Sparks is an asset worth managing over Pickard/McBackup. I don't really care one way or another but if the problem with McBackup was that they didn't think he could keep them competitive if they gave him another 10 games to play in I'm not sure what about Sparks makes them think he's the right asset to manage over Pickard. They're the ones who get paid to do this, though, so I hope they're right.

He didn't PK and Babcock all but demanded it from that roster spot so he really wasn't a great fit from the start. Good pick up for Dallas though I think.
It's a meh pickup. Even if he were just on the team to win a 3/4D spot he never came close to showing potential to claim one.

Wish him all the best but Dallas' defence is about as questionable as the Leafs' even with Heiskanen on board. Not sure he's being given a much better chance to show something there than he had here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, those guys are gone and JT is here and he's playing in a Leaf jersey tonight in Toronto and this is an awesome day.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, those guys are gone and JT is here and he's playing in a Leaf jersey tonight in Toronto and this is an awesome day.

giphy.gif

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This assumes that Sparks is an asset worth managing over Pickard/McBackup. I don't really care one way or another but if the problem with McBackup was that they didn't think he could keep them competitive if they gave him another 10 games to play in I'm not sure what about Sparks makes them think he's the right asset to manage over Pickard. They're the ones who get paid to do this, though, so I hope they're right.

It's a meh pickup. Even if he were just on the team to win a 3/4D spot he never came close to showing potential to claim one.

Wish him all the best but Dallas' defence is about as questionable as the Leafs' even with Heiskanen on board. Not sure he's being given a much better chance to show something there than he had here.

I guess I'm thinking that if McEhlhinney played 20 games and had a .934 SV% again he'd probably get more than one year from someone else as a UFA next offseason and be gone. If Sparks plays 20 games and has a .934 SV% he could be a potential 25 year old RFA "answer" to some struggling teams goaltending problem in the offseason and return a more significant piece than a backup goalie. A lot more upside picking Sparks I think and the downside seems like it's limited and manageable anyway.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm thinking that if McEhlhinney played 20 games and had a .934 SV% again he'd probably get more than one year from someone else as a UFA next offseason and be gone. If Sparks plays 20 games and has a .934 SV% he could be a potential 25 year old RFA "answer" to some struggling teams goaltending problem in the offseason and return a more significant piece than a backup goalie. A lot more upside picking Sparks I think and the downside seems like it's limited and manageable anyway.
I always assumed McB was the loser here so I'm not arguing with anything you say.

I'm just not entirely sure Sparks was the right call over Pickard is all and while Pickard is UFA after the year I think having the better goaltender this season is more important than control of your backup tendy, unless they think Sparks is starter material which I do not.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always assumed McB was the loser here so I'm not arguing with anything you say.

I'm just not entirely sure Sparks was the right call over Pickard is all and while Pickard is UFA after the year I think having the better goaltender this season is more important than control of your backup tendy, unless they think Sparks is starter material which I do not.

I don't know that I think that he is starter material either, but I guess I think that another team is more likely to think that he is. He's shinier and newer than Pickard and hasn't had multiple teams move on from him (plus the entire league let him clear last year, as we know) already.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I believe much of what Dreger puts out there but Willie's agent is nuts if he thinks he has an $8 mil/yr player right now.

Nylander's camp appears stuck on $8M AAV - TSN.ca

I'm all for players chasing what they're worth but I cannot think of anything on earth that would make Willie & his team suggest he's worth that right now.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blame Chia for paying Draisaitl 8.5 million per season.
Draisaitl came off a season where he scored 17 points more than Nylander ever has. It was an overpay but you can blame that on bad management and the Edmonton factor too. No GM is going to be held to the Chia standard I don't think, although it's nice for agents.

Gaudreau scored $6.75m/yr two years ago coming off a season in which he also scored 17 more points than Nylander ever has. That's the highest anybody should be thinking for Nylander considering the cap hasn't jumped all that much.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, someone please explain this headline to me? $12.5 million isn't a range, it's a number. $11 million to $12.5 million is a range. A place to raise cattle is a range. A place to practice golf is a range. One number maketh not a range.

I cook bacon and eggs on a range :D

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes. Three games and gotta believe there will be a lot of 7-6 games in this team's future. Yes, it is early in the season, but the D looks as weak as ever.

Oh, and Willie who? Dude does know he has NO leverage, doesn't he?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes. Three games and gotta believe there will be a lot of 7-6 games in this team's future. Yes, it is early in the season, but the D looks as weak as ever.

Oh, and Willie who? Dude does know he has NO leverage, doesn't he?
Kapanen was fire alongside AM.

My only issue is who is giving up a d-man right now who is near Nylander's level of quality? Maybe if they wait a month, month and a half they could find someone but they can't go ahead and pull a Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson deal just for the sake of it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Kapanen was fire alongside AM.

My only issue is who is giving up a d-man right now who is near Nylander's level of quality? Maybe if they wait a month, month and a half they could find someone but they can't go ahead and pull a Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson deal just for the sake of it.
Chris Tanev, of course