• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but I guess I got the impression you were talking about Nylander (or Brown) needing the year to build his value up, whereas I'm talking about Trouba needing to build his value up :wink:
I just stuck with Trouba (or rather, someone of his calibre) because BGD mentioned him; personally I don't think he's proven much to warrant anything spectacular in trade although I'm sure the world's most overrated GM will be expecting as much.

But if in a year or two Nylander, Marner and Brown are scoring 30g/60p give or take each I'm not going to be too upset if one of them are moved for a very good defenceman.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, I'm just hoping to avoid this:

CftXaN1WsAAosr4.jpg

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just stuck with Trouba (or rather, someone of his calibre) because BGD mentioned him; personally I don't think he's proven much to warrant anything spectacular in trade although I'm sure the world's most overrated GM will be expecting as much.

But if in a year or two Nylander, Marner and Brown are scoring 30g/60p give or take each I'm not going to be too upset if one of them are moved for a very good defenceman.

I guess I just don't want to see Nylander shunted aside simply because he's not Matthews or Marner. He looks too special, and I don't mean that in the Joey Moss way.

I also still think his ultimate role is first line centre. Yes, on this team that will probably mean a *second line role anyway.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't want to see Nylander shunted aside simply because he's not Matthews or Marner. He looks too special, and I don't mean that in the Joey Moss way.

I also still think his ultimate role is first line centre. Yes, on this team that will probably mean a *second line role anyway.
Can't look at it as "shunted aside". At some point the remaining weaknesses on the roster are going to be identified and addressed and it might take someone of that quality to get what we need.

Other thing I would say is they still will probably draft in the top ten this year and that will be another major asset for them to use either as bait or to replace Nylander.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't look at it as "shunted aside". At some point the remaining weaknesses on the roster are going to be identified and addressed and it might take someone of that quality to get what we need.

Other thing I would say is they still will probably draft in the top ten this year and that will be another major asset for them to use either as bait or to replace Nylander.

Like I said I get what you're saying here, but if it's Trouba or a comparable return then honestly "shunted" seems like a good word for what happened :wink:

I might let Matthews bounce pucks in off Kapanen's ass next year and try to build that trade value instead. He's got first round pedigree!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I get what you're saying here, but if it's Trouba or a comparable return then honestly "shunted" seems like a good word for what happened :wink:

I might let Matthews bounce pucks in off Kapanen's ass next year and try to build that trade value instead. He's got first round pedigree!
I saw a lot of praise for Kapanen in the pre-season. Sounds like he's going to be a call-up at some point this season. He sure got off to a hot start on the Marlies - 5 pts in 2 games.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a lot of praise for Kapanen in the pre-season. Sounds like he's going to be a call-up at some point this season. He sure got off to a hot start on the Marlies - 5 pts in 2 games.

Oh he'll be up for sure.

You know the guy I hope gets a fair shot (somewhere)? Leipsic. I just noticed he's got 5 points already too. Nice little player, all he's done is produce. He might end up being trade bait in Toronto but he's got a future somewhere I think.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh he'll be up for sure.

You know the guy I hope gets a fair shot (somewhere)? Leipsic. I just noticed he's got 5 points already too. Nice little player, all he's done is produce. He might end up being trade bait in Toronto but he's got a future somewhere I think.
I think many around here share that sentiment.

I could see a scenario where Komarov is moved either around the deadline or in the summer and Leipsic takes his roster spot. If the Leafs hadn't moved the pick that eventually became Travis Konecny for picks that became Dermott, Dzierkals and Bracco, that trade would look ridiculously good right now.

This was outstanding:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bracco's no slouch either, though - OHL player of the week.

Along with Matthews getting NHL second star and Kapanen getting AHL first star, good start to the hockey calendar.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be a long year for the beloved Leafs.

But that is OK. Baby birds have to learn to fly.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be a long year for the beloved Leafs.

But that is OK. Baby birds have to learn to fly.
A successful year is one in which the goaltending looks stable, the youngsters make progress and the veterans make enough of themselves that they can be traded for assets.

I know it's very early but there is a very real chance that only 1 of those 3 things happen this season and I don't think there'd be too many happy faces come April at Shanaplan HQ if that ends up the case.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A successful year is one in which the goaltending looks stable, the youngsters make progress and the veterans make enough of themselves that they can be traded for assets.

I know it's very early but there is a very real chance that only 1 of those 3 things happen this season and I don't think there'd be too many happy faces come April at Shanaplan HQ if that ends up the case.

The veterans have been disappointing so far. I know Kadri has a good faceoff percentage, but I still cannot warm up to him. Not to single him out, and as you said its only been 3 games, but I am already getting tired of answering "he is a rookie" when my wife asks "who is that guy who just scored?"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The veterans have been disappointing so far. I know Kadri has a good faceoff percentage, but I still cannot warm up to him. Not to single him out, and as you said its only been 3 games, but I am already getting tired of answering "he is a rookie" when my wife asks "who is that guy who just scored?"
They've been slow out of the gate but they've also been getting the top matchups from opposing coaches to date.

Kadri played well last night, the loss wasn't on him at all. Far more concerning was Zaitsev's awful string of giveaways. Gardiner also had one of his worst games in recent memory to me. Matthews was very unlucky (had 7 shots on goal, including the breakaway right before Laine's winner).

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've been slow out of the gate but they've also been getting the top matchups from opposing coaches to date.

Kadri played well last night, the loss wasn't on him at all. Far more concerning was Zaitsev's awful string of giveaways. Gardiner also had one of his worst games in recent memory to me. Matthews was very unlucky (had 7 shots on goal, including the breakaway right before Laine's winner).

Agreed, Gardiner and Zaitsev both had bad games. Last night wasn't good for the team in general, you'd like them to hold down a 4-0 lead but I don't think they deserved that lead in the first place so the end result is a cosmic balancing of sorts I guess.

Kadri hasn't been bad at all so far, I'm not sure why he would be a target for criticism.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, Gardiner and Zaitsev both had bad games. Last night wasn't good for the team in general, you'd like them to hold down a 4-0 lead but I don't think they deserved that lead in the first place so the end result is a cosmic balancing of sorts I guess.

Kadri hasn't been bad at all so far, I'm not sure why he would be a target for criticism.
Nor I, but BGD has always disliked Naz. He's far from the only one so I'm not saying it to single him out, but I think he's been his usual self and that's all I ask of him.

Bozak looked fucking horrendous last night, on the other hand.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor I, but BGD has always disliked Naz. He's far from the only one so I'm not saying it to single him out, but I think he's been his usual self and that's all I ask of him.

Bozak looked fucking horrendous last night, on the other hand.

Guilty as charged. :nod:

And I agree with this as well.

At some point, they need to add some grit, especially on the blue line. They are just too soft in their own end far too often. When Gardiner is not "on" offensively, you get nights like last night. And I honestly don't know what to make of Rielly. I am torn on this because Salming was my favorite Leaf d-man of all time, but he had Turnbull, Glennie and even Baun for a short while to balance things out. No rush, but when the young'uns get more experience under their belt, toughening up the D is going to be a big priority.

(yes this is all the "eye" test, that and the most important stat in hockey. The W column)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guilty as charged. :nod:

And I agree with this as well.

At some point, they need to add some grit, especially on the blue line. They are just too soft in their own end far too often. When Gardiner is not "on" offensively, you get nights like last night. And I honestly don't know what to make of Rielly. I am torn on this because Salming was my favorite Leaf d-man of all time, but he had Turnbull, Glennie and even Baun for a short while to balance things out. No rush, but when the young'uns get more experience under their belt, toughening up the D is going to be a big priority.

(yes this is all the "eye" test, that and the most important stat in hockey. The W column)
The Leafs need a Victor Hedman to play with Jake Gardiner's Anton Stralman (but with handedness reversed). It just might take some time to either draft and develop such a player or otherwise find one on the UFA market or via trade.

If the Leafs finish near the bottom again and wind up with a high-enough pick to draft Liljegren, that might do it but also may mean they trade Gardiner while he still has time on his contract and rely on a top pair of Rielly-Liljegren.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs should try to trade for Sami Vatanan - he looks like he's mailing it in now with a new contract and he could use a change of scenery.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs should try to trade for Sami Vatanan - he looks like he's mailing it in now with a new contract and he could use a change of scenery.
Leafs and Ducks have a recent history of making big deals. If they need to shed salary to fit Hampus in I could see it happening - something involving JVR with the Leafs retaining some salary and maybe throwing in Corrado to compensate for the loss of an RD.

Also, keep in mind that playing for Randy can do bad things to good defencemen. See Gardiner, Jake.