• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here's how you know it's not me. I don't know what an Argo is other than a mediocre, factually-inaccurate Ben Affleck movie that somehow won an Oscar.

Just over 16,000 at BMO Field last night - Something tells me Skydome / Rogers Centre never was the real issue getting fans out to watch the Argos.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just over 16,000 at BMO Field last night - Something tells me Skydome / Rogers Centre never was the real issue getting fans out to watch the Argos.
And it was honestly one of the nicest nights of summer thus far.

I've said it for years, the Argos should be moved either to London or out east. There are cities that appreciate the CFL brand. Toronto hasn't been one for 20+ years now and no amount of winning or new stadia is going to change that.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it was honestly one of the nicest nights of summer thus far.

I've said it for years, the Argos should be moved either to London or out east. There are cities that appreciate the CFL brand. Toronto hasn't been one for 20+ years now and no amount of winning or new stadia is going to change that.

I tried to find classic video of Rocket Ismail rapping at the CFL Awards but it seems like that has been lost to history.

"Yo Rickey Foggie - hold that pass
Cause I'm chillin' on the mic with Love & Sas"

In case anyone here didn't already know that my long-term memory is not far off from Marilu Henner's, now you do :wink: . I can also give you the entire theme song to the "Hammerman" cartoon despite having only heard it maybe 3 times and never watching an episode. I list that right at the top of my resumé of course.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a bad feeling one of Carrick or Corrado are going to get pinched off waivers. That kinda sucks.

71882054.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Lupul's done. It's probably better for the Leafs if he isn't on the roster but I still think he had something to offer a team.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no student of athlete-speak, but that is an oddly worded release. Not going to speculate without any facts, just hope he is OK.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I am doing something I rarely do anymore, read the Star.

In this article Maple Leafs open training camp flying under radar — for now | Toronto Star, the following gem was written:

• There are 79 players on the training camp roster, including the eight at the World Cup. Veteran forward Brandon Prust is in camp on a tryout, as is former Albany Devil winger Raman Hrabarenka.

79 dudes in camp, you want to single out Prust? OK whatever, at least he is recognizable. But Hrabarenka? Out of 79, that is the only other guy you mention? Unless he is packing noodles, who gives a crap?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I am doing something I rarely do anymore, read the Star.

In this article Maple Leafs open training camp flying under radar — for now | Toronto Star, the following gem was written:

• There are 79 players on the training camp roster, including the eight at the World Cup. Veteran forward Brandon Prust is in camp on a tryout, as is former Albany Devil winger Raman Hrabarenka.

79 dudes in camp, you want to single out Prust? OK whatever, at least he is recognizable. But Hrabarenka? Out of 79, that is the only other guy you mention? Unless he is packing noodles, who gives a crap?
I think they're just pointing out that 2 guys are here on PTO's and not legit Leafs players yet (or hopefully ever).

The only question marks there really are with the roster at this point is 1) Marner, who is mentioned earlier as such, 2) Which of Carrick/Corrado/Marincin get risked on waivers on their way to the Marlies, which is omitted and should be talked about. Case can be made that guys like Holland, Michalek and Greening are kind of in limbo too and a decision is going to have to be made about them in the next couple weeks.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One benefit of TNA and USA being eliminated from the WC is that JVR, Rielly and Lord Auston of Southern Ontario (and to a lesser extent Michalek) can now join training camp and the staff can start figuring out how everything pieces together.

After seeing the way Matthews played with and against NHLers this week I am 10x more excited to see him in a Leafs jersey.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomas Kaberle officially retired yesterday (he was playing in the Czech league).

While I was pulling my hair out of my scalp watching him by the time he was traded to Boston in one of many strokes of genius by Peter Chiarelli, he gave the Leafs an offensive threat from the blue line for a good while. Not too shabby for an 8th round pick.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomas Kaberle officially retired yesterday (he was playing in the Czech league).

While I was pulling my hair out of my scalp watching him by the time he was traded to Boston in one of many strokes of genius by Peter Chiarelli, he gave the Leafs an offensive threat from the blue line for a good while. Not too shabby for an 8th round pick.

I think that Kaberle is one of the most underrated (by the fanbase, but I think it's true generally as well) Maple Leafs in my lifetime.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Kaberle is one of the most underrated (by the fanbase, but I think it's true generally as well) Maple Leafs in my lifetime.
He was the only guy around for the entire downward spiral from 2005-2011. He gets a lot of blame he doesn't deserve.

If he had played on a good team for that period he probably would've averaged 60 pts/yr, at least for the first 5 years after the lockout.