• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damien Cox piece this morning saying the Leafs should dangle their first rounder for Trouba :L

You'd think a guy who has written in this city as the Leafs traded first rounders that became Niedermayer, Luongo, Seguin and Hamilton (he says as much in the article himself) would be using his medium to advocate against such a dumb decision but, alas, Damien Cox is a special breed of fuckwit.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As expected. It's the right move, and I hope he climbs that ladder quickly.

Matthews thinks he belongs on at least the second line and has an interesting way of letting the coaching staff know:

Last edited:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just spitballin' here, but shouldn't Auston be trying to hit the net with his one-timers?!?

:bolt:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's becoming very apparent that the coverage McDavid got last year might actually pale in comparison to the shit show they're going to turn Matthews and the Leafs into.

I am so, so sorry to you all in advance. While I didn't mind the McDavid-mania so much last year (I absolutely loved watching him play while at the same time watching the Oilers suck balls), I know it wore thin on many.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nylander brothers going up against each other tonight in St. Catharines. No Matthews though :pout:

My dad told me he doesn't think Nylander should make the team. William that is. I didn't know what to say.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's two schools of thought to this - one, Clark and Kaberle were from two different generations, one that saw generally successful teams and one that didn't. Any fanbase, regardless of nationality, would see most guys associated with such prolonged failure more dimly than a guy who was captain when the team had their best run of success in the last 50 years.

Two, Kaberle had the personality of an unsalted peanut. Clark was seen as an "everyman", both by how he played and how he interacted with media and fans. That's always gonna alter perception.

It's also worth pointing out that Borje Salming is considered by most the best defenceman in Leaf history and last I checked Kiruna isn't a town in Ontario.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's two schools of thought to this - one, Clark and Kaberle were from two different generations, one that saw generally successful teams and one that didn't. Any fanbase, regardless of nationality, would see most guys associated with such prolonged failure more dimly than a guy who was captain when the team had their best run of success in the last 50 years.

Two, Kaberle had the personality of an unsalted peanut. Clark was seen as an "everyman", both by how he played and how he interacted with media and fans. That's always gonna alter perception.

It's also worth pointing out that Borje Salming is considered by most the best defenceman in Leaf history and last I checked Kiruna isn't a town in Ontario.

My next door neighbour is black and I get along with him! (no I'm not directly targeting you with this comment, I hope you don't think that. But that last sentence had that kind of sound to it, no?).

Enough time has passed on Salming and Grapes has even given the go ahead.

As for the team's relative success, by my count both played 11 full seasons with the Leafs with no overlap. While Clark was a Leaf they went 344-457-91 with two Conf finals, two 2nd round exits and two 1st round exits. While Kaberle was a Leaf they went 440-335-127 with two Conf finals, three 2nd round exits and one 1st round exit (I just lumped together all of the 1 point stuff). Hell, I don't think it's even a stretch to argue that the "best run of success in the last 50 years" actually probably came while Mats Sundin was captain. Although in Clark's defense he probably wasn't playing in about 2/3rds of those games anyway :wink:

If there's an argument to be made about team success it would have to be based around the shape of that team success. The team did poorly at the start of Clark's career and was doing well at the end of his (initial) tenure, whereas the opposite happened with Kaberle. But that doesn't seem like it should be that big a factor in perception, no?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My next door neighbour is black and I get along with him! (no I'm not directly targeting you with this comment, I hope you don't think that. But that last sentence had that kind of sound to it, no?).

Enough time has passed on Salming and Grapes has even given the go ahead.

As for the team's relative success, by my count both played 11 full seasons with the Leafs with no overlap. While Clark was a Leaf they went 344-457-91 with two Conf finals, two 2nd round exits and two 1st round exits. While Kaberle was a Leaf they went 440-335-127 with two Conf finals, three 2nd round exits and one 1st round exit (I just lumped together all of the 1 point stuff). Hell, I don't think it's even a stretch to argue that the "best run of success in the last 50 years" actually probably came while Mats Sundin was captain. Although in Clark's defense he probably wasn't playing in about 2/3rds of those games anyway :wink:

If there's an argument to be made about team success it would have to be based around the shape of that team success. The team did poorly at the start of Clark's career and was doing well at the end of his (initial) tenure, whereas the opposite happened with Kaberle. But that doesn't seem like it should be that big a factor in perception, no?
It's a good debate topic. I'm not sure which I would honestly choose, to be honest. Lots of stuff goes into that - quality of competition, team makeup, realistic chance of hoisting the Cup had they progressed (probably none in any of those 4 accounts, but...).

I think the timing thing you mention plays a part too - Clark had his best NHL season (after one of utter mediocrity) in 93-94. He was essentially in his prime. Kaberle's best hockey came after the lockout. He was a good if not great d-man during those conference final runs (was more established by 2002 though).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the funnier thing is that the best we can hope for out of Morgan Rielly is probably a Kaberle-like career and I'll bet you anything he goes down as one of the "Leaf legends" if he manages to equal him. Of course, he may very well captain this team to a Cup one day.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good debate topic. I'm not sure which I would honestly choose, to be honest. Lots of stuff goes into that - quality of competition, team makeup, realistic chance of hoisting the Cup had they progressed (probably none in any of those 4 accounts, but...).

I think the timing thing you mention plays a part too - Clark had his best NHL season (after one of utter mediocrity) in 93-94. He was essentially in his prime. Kaberle's best hockey came after the lockout. He was a good if not great d-man during those conference final runs (was more established by 2002 though).

They're going to take away our little blue wings if they ever read this thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking: Roman Polak is still fucking terrible and if the Leafs lose Corrado for the sake of keeping him in the lineup I'll cry.