• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Oilers end up with pick 3, I'd be entertaining offers for immediate help in roster players and/or prospects in order to move down to pick 4 or 5.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think the Oilers will take Hanifin at #3? I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't.
I've seen a few articles of Hanifin's draft stock falling, but I think teams today are convinced you need to focus on the middle over everything else. Strome isn't as sexy as the first two and he lacks speed somewhat, but he's big and talented as hell.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Oilers end up with pick 3, I'd be entertaining offers for immediate help in roster players and/or prospects in order to move down to pick 4 or 5.
My question is, in a draft as stacked as this, why is anybody moving up to 3 from 4 or 5? You have just as good a chance of drafting a star at 5 as you do at 3. And you're giving up a good piece? Why would the Leafs give JVR or anybody not named Phaneuf up just to move one slot ahead? What would Columbus give up that anybody would want? Hartnell? Anisimov? Can't see it.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a few articles of Hanifin's draft stock falling, but I think teams today are convinced you need to focus on the middle over everything else. Strome isn't as sexy as the first two and he lacks speed somewhat, but he's big and talented as hell.

Well yeah, all else being equal I always take the centre over the defenseman. You can find a #1 defenseman a few different ways, but it's real tough to get a #1 centre unless you draft him really high (not draft him while really high, which is what I think the Oilers have been doing). That being said, Strome is starting to have some people knocking him too, mainly his skating and foot speed. I don't think it's necessarily a problem, but what Hanifin has done as a freshman playing at 17 for most of the season is really impressive, and I've always loved what I've managed to see of him on the ice. Top of the draft D might be Doughty and Hedman or might be the Johnsons. Pietrangelo vs. Bogosian. There are risks for sure, but I think Hanifin is closer to the first group than the second.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah, all else being equal I always take the centre over the defenseman. You can find a #1 defenseman a few different ways, but it's real tough to get a #1 centre unless you draft him really high (not draft him while really high, which is what I think the Oilers have been doing). That being said, Strome is starting to have some people knocking him too, mainly his skating and foot speed. I don't think it's necessarily a problem, but what Hanifin has done as a freshman playing at 17 for most of the season is really impressive, and I've always loved what I've managed to see of him on the ice. Top of the draft D might be Doughty and Hedman or might be the Johnsons. Pietrangelo vs. Bogosian. There are risks for sure, but I think Hanifin is closer to the first group than the second.
Draft's always a crapshoot. I'd also take Hanifin over the others but the top-of-the-draft teams need help up front so badly I could see the defencemen falling.

I also think this draft could be trade-crazy. With teams like Philly, Dallas, Columbus, Colorado, Florida and SJ likely to be in the top 15 of the draft and with teams like the Leafs and Carolina possibly hosting firesales it could be a very exciting night.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In exchange for a player whose vehicle is adorned with a handicap sticker, not a future star.

They could move him for Stephen Weiss, I suppose.

JJ for Dion?

BLEARGH! WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soo, if Edmonton is picking third then the Jackets (Somewhere between 5 and 8 it seems) can give them a solid D Man (Johnson) and their 1st rounder for EDMs first and second rounder? EDM, if smart, could build a D core in one day.

Yes, I said "if smart".

Thats the kind of thinking has a lot of merit for the Oil.

Or they can draft Hanifin and be the same team next year.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or they can draft Hanifin and be the same team next year.

Can Hanifin have the same impact as Ekblad has made in Florida? Otherwise, I agree, pretty much the same team.

/Nurse is showing pretty good promise, though.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*cough* John Tavares *cough*

People shouldn't be concerned about foot speed and what not, a guy like John Tavares got knocked for that early in his career and look at where he's at now

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The knock on Sean Monahan also was lack of foot speed, he looks quick enough to me these days.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*cough* John Tavares *cough*

People shouldn't be concerned about foot speed and what not, a guy like John Tavares got knocked for that early in his career and look at where he's at now
I'm really not concerned by it, but that's what the scouting reports are going to say. Personally, I'm hoping the Leafs draft Strome. I think Nylander's skating will complement Strome's abilities and make for one hell of a first line.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Sam Bennett, he's played 9 games for Kingston and has 11 goals and 10 assists in those 9 games.