• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe I allowed this thread to drop to page 3 - Oh well, here's the forward lines for tonight's game for Edmonton:

23rtgtw.jpg
"I'll show ya how to tank!"

-
Sl2JOZP.gif

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks photoshap twitter crew is going hard after the coil

Some good stuff

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one made me lose it ... Lower right

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Petry deal exposes the Edmonton Oilers managerial incompetence | Edmonton Journal

Petry was averaging three seconds less than 21 minutes per game for Edmonton. That puts him well ahead of team captain Andrew Ference, the handsomely-paid veteran who MacTavish made an early hire with a four-year free agent contract. It puts him further ahead of Nikita Nikitin, a player the Oilers prioritized to such a degree that they traded a draft pick to Columbus for his rights and then signed him to a two-year deal worth $4.5 million annually. There’s another drop in ice time down to Mark Fayne, MacTavish’s other big free agent acquisition for the defence.

If Petry is really a No. 5 defenceman who even at inflated deadline prices is worth only a little more than a second-round pick, what are we to make of the three defencemen signed to multi-year, big-money contracts by this general manager? The team’s coaches clearly value Petry higher than that trio, after all. There is no credible take other than to say that those three are even worse.

There is no good narrative that can realistically be spun about the Oilers from this trade. They either lost the trade or revealed the current general manager’s free agent program as a spectacular failure. A really pessimistic person might suggest they managed both feats at once. [/I}

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Petry deal exposes the Edmonton Oilers managerial incompetence | Edmonton Journal

Petry was averaging three seconds less than 21 minutes per game for Edmonton. That puts him well ahead of team captain Andrew Ference, the handsomely-paid veteran who MacTavish made an early hire with a four-year free agent contract. It puts him further ahead of Nikita Nikitin, a player the Oilers prioritized to such a degree that they traded a draft pick to Columbus for his rights and then signed him to a two-year deal worth $4.5 million annually. There’s another drop in ice time down to Mark Fayne, MacTavish’s other big free agent acquisition for the defence.

If Petry is really a No. 5 defenceman who even at inflated deadline prices is worth only a little more than a second-round pick, what are we to make of the three defencemen signed to multi-year, big-money contracts by this general manager? The team’s coaches clearly value Petry higher than that trio, after all. There is no credible take other than to say that those three are even worse.

There is no good narrative that can realistically be spun about the Oilers from this trade. They either lost the trade or revealed the current general manager’s free agent program as a spectacular failure. A really pessimistic person might suggest they managed both feats at once. [/I}

Not to downgrade Oilers management incompetence but there is a leap in logic here. Petry is a UFA and being a man with an ounce of common sense likely made it clear he would not be back in EDM next year. Therefore his trade doesn't signify management liking him less than the others mentioned in that article but rather the realization that he would walk for nothing.

Where MacT and his crew failed was in getting only a second round pick (likely 50-60 overall) for a player who can reasonably play in most teams' top 4.

In short they got stiffed.

Montreal however has now somehow cloned PK Subban and has 2 of them.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a side note, how psyched must Petry be to be going from Edmonton to a playoff run in the craziest hockey city out there.

I'd be bouncing off the walls. Except for the fact that I had to look at Pigman Therrien everyday I'd be ecstatic.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I'd be pulling my hair out if I were an Oilers fan...

For the moment it is $3.075 million of salary cap space temporarily off the books. MacTavish also made it clear that other than the lottery pick, the rest of the picks will be in play to help solve glaring weaknesses on goal and defence.

He also shed light on the Eastern media based rumours that Jordan Eberle was in play.

“Zero,” said MacTavish. “I had no interest in trading Jordan Eberle. None. You just don’t find people like that
who can play like that. He’s a big part of our future.”

He was strong on the subject of Nail Yakupov as well.

“We all see the promise now that we had when we drafted him. I had zero interest in trading Nail Yakupov. We’ve gone this far, we all have to see then end now.”

MacTavish has never suggested anything other than a philosophy of building this team around his core players and adding, as he put it yesterday “more horsepower around them”.

It says here you should have felt good to hear him so emphatic on that.

“We have stars and developing stars and trading one of those guys — one of our valuable assets we paid dearly to get — is not the right course of action for this group. We have to support this group. None of these guys are coming to me and saying, ‘I’ve had enough I want out of here’. I hold that as valuable. We want to build a team with these guys and win with them.”

Jeff Petry trade may not gain much, but it's more than the alternative | Oilers

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop me if you have heard this before...

but didnt you hear his interview after the deadline dash. it said there are exciting times coming....

nothing more exicting than draft lotterys every year right? right?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but didnt you hear his interview after the deadline dash. it said there are exciting times coming....

nothing more exicting than draft lotterys every year right? right?

Most teams have their parade/party in late June, Matty. Up in Edmonton, it's in mid-April.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 7-4 loss to Carolina (after having a 3-0 lead) and no comment from Dash?

What is going on?!?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 7-4 loss to Carolina (after having a 3-0 lead) and no comment from Dash?

What is going on?!?

Too busy watching Davis Cup tennis from UBC, Mooger, but I appreciate the update.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side, only 6 of the 7 were of the unanswered variety.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that RNH now has two career hat tricks and the Oil are 0-2 in those games.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oilers officially eliminated from playoffs for the 9th straight year