• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure comedic gold - Message sent to Season Ticket Holders from Kevin Lowe in 2007

Hi, this is Kevin Lowe.

After a very eventful week around the hockey club, I wanted to take a moment and communicate to you, our most valued customers, our continued commitment to success.

As I stated last week, our hockey club will always do what we feel is in the best interest of our fans, and in the best interest of building a Stanley Cup championship team here in Oil Country.

Right now, we have a core group of veteran players and a wealth of emerging young talent. Last week’s trade brought us two more young players in Robert Nilsson and Ryan O’Marra, and another first round draft choice in this year’s NHL draft. They will join players like Pouliot, Jacques, Stortini, Brodziak, and Schremp, just to name a few, as potential members of a championship Oilers club. Certainly, along the way, we will add to our roster through trades and free agency when the right opportunities are there, now that we have the resources to do so. Make no mistake; our plan is to return the Stanley Cup to Edmonton.

We have an exciting future ahead of us all, and we look forward to sharing it with you.

Thanks again for your ongoing support of Oilers Hockey.

And when we land the All Star Game, it will come!

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair Dash, they had unloaded old man Smyth at that point and god knows they are not dumb enough to bring him back and Taylor Hall wasn't drafted yet so the reset button wasn't pressed.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Devan Dubnyk came from Edmonton and.. let's just say he has some bad habits." - #Preds Head Coach Barry Trotz

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, he used Huggy Bear and Jacques as selling points to the season ticket holders?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had some free time 10 seconds ago so i again volunteered my services to the Coilers letter writing department

I know this will almost certainly be the tenth consecutive year since we made the playoffs. I hate that fact as much as anyone, but the reality is that this is only year four of the rebuild that started when we drafted Nail Yakupov.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a snippet of the article of the "Kevin Lowe Must Go" sign that was parked outside of the Oilers offices yesterday that attracted onlookers and police:

Police arrived and found the man, Bill Day, was not causing any trouble. “It was a quiet protest,” Seyler said.

“I’m like a lot of fans, tired of being in the bottom looking up,” said Day, who spent three hours in his parked vehicle Tuesday afternoon. “I’m just someone out there protesting the Oilers being in the basement.”

Day’s sign comes one day after Oilers owner Daryl Katz jumped to the defence of Lowe, president of hockey operations, in an open letter to fans.

“I know Kevin is the target of a lot of personal attacks right now, and that’s really unfortunate,” Katz’s message reads. “Kevin is a big part of our organization and it’s not just the Oilers that value his knowledge and perspective.”

Day said when police arrived — about two hours into his protest — they were concerned the tail end of his trailer was impeding traffic. He did not receive a ticket.

His sign garnered mixed reaction from passersby.

“A couple people came by and gave me the thumbs-up,” he said. “One guy stopped and said ‘Don’t you guys have better things to do?’ I said ‘No, obviously we don’t.’ ”

Day, who describes himself as a Tier 2 Oilers fan — a reference to Lowe’s infamous “We have two types of fans” remark in response to a question from Journal sports columnist John MacKinnon last April — plans to target Oilers owner Daryl Katz with a sign tomorrow. “He’s a poor owner of the team,” he said.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola'ed

johnnie-walker-black-label-scotch-whisky.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully, I think Southampton can avoid relegation this year (I hope).

I would take Krueger over Baby Carlyle ... and i think Coilers would be in better shape this year if they stuck with him ... but of course, coiler management is smart and thought a change was neccessary

oh ... and i bet Eakins cant get a job in League 2 when the Coil can him

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shamelessly stolen:

Q: How many Oilers executives does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None. Just have patience. It'll work.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some precedent for the Oilers firing a coach so soon. Ralph Krueger was fired in the offseason after just one season running the show, and that one season was just 48 games long. That would seem to make it doubtful that the Oilers would want to change coaches again so soon, especially since new GM Craig MacTavish picked Eakins himself, but crazier things have happened.

The results haven't been there but it seems like the Oilers are in good hands with Eakins, or at least he knows what he's doing. He had a somewhat combative postgame session with the media in which he talked about the team's hits -- dropping the money line that ideally your team doesn't record a single hit because you possess the puck the entire time -- and talked about seeking retribution and other such issues

Dallas Eakins to the media today, admitting his own vulnerability: "I firmly know that if I don't get this group going soon, it could be me"

Dallas Eakins thinks his job could be on line if Oilers keep struggling - CBSSports.com

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
“One guy stopped and said ‘Don’t you guys have better things to do?’ I said ‘No, obviously we don’t.’ ”

Day, who describes himself as a Tier 2 Oilers fan

I freakin' love this guy

NullDefault

Generic Comment
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't understand. It seems like a very simple formula:

1.) Draft Talented young players

2.) Surround them with seasoned role-playing veterans

3.) Hire a coach with a proven track record of winning

4.) Shoot for improvement over prior season

5.) If no signs of improvement, make a change in Coaching

6.) If still no signs of improvement make a change in GM and start process over

If a team gets stuck on any of these 6 steps or repeats steps prior to moving onto the next step, there is a problem with the franchise itself. Parity reigns supreme in this league, if there is no signs of improvement year to year during a rebuild then you are doing it wrong lol. Not that complicated right? UGH

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(its kinda old so sorry if posted)

alot of fanbases have great memories of player on their team putting on a show on one of their shifts ... just go on youtube and search "the shift" ... Jonathan Drouins crazy goal from last season, A sedin powerplay shift that lasted close to 2 minutes where they controleld the puck, Milan Lucic's first bonbreaking shift at the Mem Cup, A mike Richards playoff pk shift from a few years back

then theres the Oilers

Taylor Hall with his "famous" shift ... on the ice for 1 shift and 8 shots against by the opposition TBay Lightning

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(its kinda old so sorry if posted)

alot of fanbases have great memories of player on their team putting on a show on one of their shifts ... just go on youtube and search "the shift" ... Jonathan Drouins crazy goal from last season, A sedin powerplay shift that lasted close to 2 minutes where they controleld the puck, Milan Lucic's first bonbreaking shift at the Mem Cup, A mike Richards playoff pk shift from a few years back

then theres the Oilers

Taylor Hall with his "famous" shift ... on the ice for 1 shift and 8 shots against by the opposition TBay Lightning

Or the Claude Giroux shift in game 6 against the Penguins

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand. It seems like a very simple formula:

1.) Draft Talented young players

2.) Surround them with seasoned role-playing veterans

3.) Hire a coach with a proven track record of winning

4.) Shoot for improvement over prior season

5.) If no signs of improvement, make a change in Coaching

6.) If still no signs of improvement make a change in GM and start process over

If a team gets stuck on any of these 6 steps or repeats steps prior to moving onto the next step, there is a problem with the franchise itself. Parity reigns supreme in this league, if there is no signs of improvement year to year during a rebuild then you are doing it wrong lol. Not that complicated right? UGH

No plagiarizing! ;)

CoachDummies.jpg