• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colt's La'Von Brazill suspended a year

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was actually discussed at the rookie symposium quite a bit. The players kept asking questions almost geared towards the idea of how do I get away with it and I guess Chris Carter stood up and chewed them out telling them if they are looking for ways to get away with breaking this rule then they don't deserve to be there. He said if you can't stop smoking weed to live out the dream of playing in the NFL then get the heck out.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So stupid so very very stupid.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was actually discussed at the rookie symposium quite a bit. The players kept asking questions almost geared towards the idea of how do I get away with it and I guess Chris Carter stood up and chewed them out telling them if they are looking for ways to get away with breaking this rule then they don't deserve to be there. He said if you can't stop smoking weed to live out the dream of playing in the NFL then get the heck out.

You can make millions of dollars a year in the NFL - or get high. Not both.

Choose one.

It's not a hard choice to make.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Choose one.

It is for you and me but not everybody would make that choice. My wife and I are counselors and we see this all the time of people with great potential that just can't kick one habit or another. Yes millions of dollars sound wonderful but every once in a while when you have those really really bad days for a person addicted to drugs nothing sounds better than getting that quick fix to dull the pain or memories.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is for you and me but not everybody would make that choice. My wife and I are counselors and we see this all the time of people with great potential that just can't kick one habit or another. Yes millions of dollars sound wonderful but every once in a while when you have those really really bad days for a person addicted to drugs nothing sounds better than getting that quick fix to dull the pain or memories.

Believe me, I know. Most of what the VA does up here is drug rehab. Men that have used drugs to cope with things have to get used to coping without it.

It's not easy, but then again, most of these men are Vietnam vets that have been using for 20+ years not some 20+ year old kid.

And besides, I was told that pot wasn't addicting. That's what the pro-pot lobby people said to get those laws to pass in CO and WA. Were they lying?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe me, I know. Most of what the VA does up here is drug rehab. Men that have used drugs to cope with things have to get used to coping without it.

It's not easy, but then again, most of these men are Vietnam vets that have been using for 20+ years not some 20+ year old kid.

And besides, I was told that pot wasn't addicting. That's what the pro-pot lobby people said to get those laws to pass in CO and WA. Were they lying?

Oh very much so were they lying. I've spent hours talking to pot growers and they know the stuff they produce is addicting. It is why they are such a great business. Throw in my wife will tell you (she works more with drug addicts than I do so a little better expert) that every person on hard drugs will tell you they started on pot until they realized it wasn't enough. She has yet to encounter somebody on drugs who didn't smoke pot heavily to start out with. That doesn't prove it is addicting but does go to show if nothing else people get used to the pain disappearing until the body at least catches up leading to somebody seeking more. Anyway not here to debate drugs of any sort but even pot is hard to stop.

Now as for these kids being 20 or so years old. I'm guessing if they have developed a habit of smoking pot that they have been doing it since they were a young teenager or even younger. Habits no matter what are hard to break. Doesn't take long to form on either. Throw in these players from a young age are beating up their bodies leading to a great deal of pain even on a good day for many of them. Now they do have a choice to get legal pain killers but because many of these kids probably grew up without health care Pot was an easy alternative and once somebody figures out something that works it is hard to convince them otherwise especially when it comes to easing pain in the body or even in the mind. Also not sure the legal pain pills are the best for them either as many of those are addicting and many of them have horrible side effects.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh course pot can be addicting. That wasn't ever the question in WA state over legalization. Caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes, and plenty of other substances are as well. The question over legalization is does the federal government to a large extent and the local states have a responsibility to prevent the use of it. What are the problems that those who do abuse it have on society at large?

The classic argument is that alcohol has a much worse impact on public health and safety than pot ever could so if that is legal why prevent a much less harmful substance?

It was legalized to remove it from the shadows and take it out of the hands of shady dealers who do not care what they are giving to their patrons and actively attempt to get kids on it to boost their sales.

I had a serious pot habit back in the day and know full well how much of your life it can impact. Been clean off any drug for about 15 years now, but I'm not going to sit here and judge others who use and don't abuse it.

Even if all of the states remove the illegal status of it and the federal government drops theirs as well the NFL could very well still keep it as a banned substance for players in the league so it's not relevant here.

The problem with these athletes is once they get the money and fame the self entitlement invariably comes along with it and it leads to choices the rest of us can easily see are super dumb.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Choose one.

Not for Ricky Williams it wan't or JDM he would pass on NFL rather than have to do piss tests

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wizardhawk very nice post. Agree wholeheartedly. The NFL actually does ban many legal substances. Heck Mathis just got a 4-game suspension on a drug that it does actually help with pregnancy as he claimed. Now again it does help with a boost in testosterone so big reason why the NFL banned it.

Now pot not sure it really gives somebody a competitive edge per say and yes there are some actual somewhat proven positives about it. As you said WizardHawk though it would need to be regulated by people who actually care about what is going into a person's body. You never quite know what you will get from an illegal dealer.

Now there are some side effects to it as well along with that of addiction in it has been shown to cause some heart problems and just like smoking cause lung damage (not sure when players are running as much as they are that you would want a bunch of guys with damaged lungs running around the NFL). Throw in with how many surgeries these guys have it has actually been known to be a huge risk to a person under anesthesia as it can slow the body down too much. Player can go in for a routine knee surgery and next thing you know is dead. Now obviously that could happen at any time. It also hurts a person's immune system over time, lowers reaction time (given NFL does allow Alcohol and it does the same thing), reduces ability to learn, causes issues in ability to perform in bed (most of these are long-term side effects), and others. Every drug has side effects so don't let people tell you otherwise (not really towards you there WizardHawk just more towards how many times I have heard people talk about all the good pot can do and then will say "and it has no side effects).