• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colorado's new HC wants the PAC-12 to pussify their scheduling

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple if you can't beat them join them.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it does. It gives you an extra bye week. You don't need a bye week at the start of the season but towards
the end.

Leagues also base their schedules around its teams OOC games. That pretty much forces the league to give you
an open date somewhere in the middle of the season.

The problem for the PAC12 is, there just aren't as many FCS schools out West as there is in the East. Plus they end
their season a week before FBS to make room for their first round playoff games. It'll be hard trying to find
FCS schools, out west to ply in November and to get one from the East you'd have to guarantee them over a
million to make the trip.

Not every SEC or ACC school play FCS games in week 11, and there are more than enough FCS schools in P12 states for a similar number of these games. And Tucker is referring to CFP contenders, not the conference abortions. It doesn’t matter who Oregon State plays. No one cares, even in Corvallis.

Outside of UW, UO, and maybe Stanford, no one is a CFP contender with or without scheduling legerdemain. Those 3 easily could find FCS opponents if they wanted for week 11.

Not that I’m advocating for or against it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully, he isn’t wrong. The SEC and ACC are taking advantage of that extra home G5 game. It’s pretty smart if you think about it.

Edit, damnit he wants the FCS game in November. Really don’t see the issue, you’re going to play them regardless. Whether it’s week 1 or week 11 it doesn’t really matter.
They could do like UGA and schedule multiple p5 Ooc opponents pretty much every year

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the PAC sure the hell needs to do something.

Payouts be like:

tenor.gif

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we can name everybody in our league. We know who is in the ACC and we know who is in the SEC.
Our problem is believing that P5 football is actually played on the West Coast. (Even if only by name)

Your ass is still raw from the last time you played a PAC team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why power Conference teams schedule weak non-conference schedules. The conference schedule is brutal enough. Obviously as a fan I would prefer to see huge matchups every week but I understand why they don't

Yeah, the problem is that there either needs to be some uniform standard for scheduling and/or some significant cost in scheduling FCS schools.

There is some value to scheduling a cupcake beyond a "guaranteed win".

For one, it helps the cupcake financially. For some of those schools, that payday can mean the difference between keeping or disbanding their program.

It also gives the P5 school a bit of a dress rehearsal and the opportunity for kids to play who may not see the field again for the rest of the season.

I don't mind one FCS or low level FBS team. But when teams are scheduling 2 or 3, that's a problem.

The first problem to address though is that conferences need to all play the same number of conference games. While some conferences are playing each other, other conferences are chalking up an extra "guaranteed win".

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully, he isn’t wrong. The SEC and ACC are taking advantage of that extra home G5 game. It’s pretty smart if you think about it.

Edit, damnit he wants the FCS game in November. Really don’t see the issue, you’re going to play them regardless. Whether it’s week 1 or week 11 it doesn’t really matter.

The SEC uses the FCS game as a 'pseudo' bye week before playing their rivals. They typically also have a real bye week in November, so that gives them 2 weeks to get healthy before playing their rival.

I don't understand Colorado doing it though. Do they even have a PAC 12 rival yet?

Last edited:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it does. It gives you an extra bye week. You don't need a bye week at the start of the season but towards
the end.

Leagues also base their schedules around its teams OOC games. That pretty much forces the league to give you

The problem for the PAC12 is, there just aren't as many FCS schools out West as there is in the East. Plus they end
their season a week before FBS to make room for their first round playoff games. It'll be hard trying to find
FCS schools, out west to ply in November and to get one from the East you'd have to guarantee them over a

:ninja:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the end.

it isnt just about playing FCS schools since some of those late games for SEC and ACC are FIU, Marshall, Liberty, East Caorlina, UMass, Rice, UTSA, UAB, La Tech, Memphis, App State, Chattanooga, Middle Tenn, Charlotte, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, Tulsa.
That said there are 13 FCS in the footprint of the Pac and 12 more in immediately proximal states. add in Mountain West, a couple indis in BYU and NMSU CUSA schools like UTSA, UTEP and North Texas, and AAC schools like tulsa, SMU and Houston I am sure 12 pac schools could fill it in if needed.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i always liked the schedule idea of has 1 FCS warm up 1 G5 tune up and a P5 team.

but i dont even think anyone does it like this anymore. still some combo but not in this order

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It fvcks the fans over bigly. I'd rather see the PAC not make the CFP then to see that conference cut off its testicles and water down the game.

First, Clemson's out of schedule next year is Texas A&M, South Carolina,

I've seen the Pac 12's bowl record the past 10 years. Are you sure your conference has testicles to begin with? And I'm not convinced that top to bottom the Pac 12 would beat all of the G5s. The Pac 12's bowl record is 19-22 over the past 5 years. Fun fact, Conference USA is 20-13, Mountain west is 17-16, Sun Belt is 14-9, Independents are 8-4. That goes along with the SEC being 33-26, the ACC being 29-27, the Big 10 being 25-22, and the Big 12 being 18-17. So, of the 11 conferences (counting independents), the Pac 12 is eighth in bowl record. And the Pac 12 is about as relevant on the big stage as the G5, with one championship in the last 25 years. The SEC has 12, The ACC has 5, the Big 12 has 5, and the BIG has 3.

So maybe you shouldn't be pumping your schedule difficulty when your teams are completely incapable of competing with anyone on the big stage. And maybe you guys should stick to water polo.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac 12 can't afford to water down its scheduling in its current iteration

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, Clemson's out of schedule next year is Texas A&M, South Carolina,

I've seen the Pac 12's bowl record the past 10 years. Are you sure your conference has testicles to begin with? And I'm not convinced that top to bottom the Pac 12 would beat all of the G5s. The Pac 12's bowl record is 19-22 over the past 5 years. Fun fact, Conference USA is 20-13, Mountain west is 17-16, Sun Belt is 14-9, Independents are 8-4. That goes along with the SEC being 33-26, the ACC being 29-27, the Big 10 being 25-22, and the Big 12 being 18-17. So, of the 11 conferences (counting independents), the Pac 12 is eighth in bowl record. And the Pac 12 is about as relevant on the big stage as the G5, with one championship in the last 25 years. The SEC has 12, The ACC has 5, the Big 12 has 5, and the BIG has 3.

So maybe you shouldn't be pumping your schedule difficulty when your teams are completely incapable of competing with anyone on the big stage. And maybe you guys should stick to water polo.
comparing bowl records of the Pac who plays Big Ten, Big XII and ACC in their bowls to Sun Belt who plays Mac AAC and CUSA teams is like comparing banging an SI swimsuit model or an average girl from Jackson Hole Wyoming.
in your analogy the Rose Bowl, Alamo and Holiday Bowl are equal to the New Orleans bowl, Dollar General and Camellia
or a combo of Dollar General, Famous Idaho and Bahamas for the MAC who plays Sun Belt, MW, and CUSA.
but yeah no good comparison. :burt:

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the problem is that there either needs to be some uniform standard for scheduling and/or some significant cost in scheduling FCS schools.

There is some value to scheduling a cupcake beyond a "guaranteed win".

For one, it helps the cupcake financially. For some of those schools, that payday can mean the difference between keeping or disbanding their program.

It also gives the P5 school a bit of a dress rehearsal and the opportunity for kids to play who may not see the field again for the rest of the season.

I don't mind one FCS or low level FBS team. But when teams are scheduling 2 or 3, that's a problem.

The first problem to address though is that conferences need to all play the same number of conference games. While some conferences are playing each other, other conferences are chalking up an extra "guaranteed win".

South Carolina every year and:

Texas A&M
Notre Dame (8 games scheduled)
Georgia (5 games scheduled)
LSU (home and home)
Oklahoma (home and home)

is scheduling a guaranteed win?

BTW, I agree that everyone should play the same amount of conference games. Y'all were the ones who made the change, not the ACC or SEC. Nobody forced y'all to go to nine, so why are y'all pushing to force us to make changes that are detrimental to our members?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he may not be understanding his fan base. From what I understand, the average PAC 12 fan ain't going to show up to a crappy OOC game like SEC fans will....regardless of where it is on the schedule. Hell, a lot of 'em don't even want to show up for many conferences games. Me thinks he'd have better luck with a bye week prior to the Utah game he used as an example.
Well most of the PAC12 teams do play an FCS team every year so obviously PAC12 fans have no problem paying to see FCS opponents. I don’t see much of an advantage gained if your opponent is also scheduling a patsy the weak before. Either you get the free win early in the season or you get it at the end of the season. The fact that people see this as some monumental advantage that the ACC and SEC has over everyone else is comical to me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I agree that everyone should play the same amount of conference games. Y'all were the ones who made the change, not the ACC or SEC. Nobody forced y'all to go to nine, so why are y'all pushing to force us to make changes that are detrimental to our members?

Why are y'all afraid to play teams from your own conference?

I don't care if it's 10 games, 9 games or 8. All conferences should be playing the same number of conference games. It's not detrimental to any conference if they all play the same number of games.

Additionally, the number of conference games changed when the conferences started getting bigger. Based on the number of teams in your conference, you miss almost half the teams in your conference every year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are y'all afraid to play teams from your own conference?

I don't care if it's 10 games, 9 games or 8. All conferences should be playing the same number of conference games. It's not detrimental to any conference if they all play the same number of games.

Additionally, the number of conference games changed when the conferences started getting bigger. Based on the number of teams in your conference, you miss almost half the teams in your conference every year.
If you are in a race with someone and they take a shotgun and blow off their foot, do you ask for the shotgun so you can shot yourself so it will be fair?