• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

college football thread

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a big win. A white out game is impressive. My one question is why wasn't the game officiated by a neutral conference crew. Credit to Auburn too, they played well.

Honestly, I didn't pay any attention to where the officials were from so tell me.

I like Franklin as a head coach and I think Penn State has a good shot in their conference this season.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I didn't pay any attention to where the officials were from so tell me.

I like Franklin as a head coach and I think Penn State has a good shot in their conference this season.
It was an SEC crew. There were some strange calls but it did not affect the outcome of the game.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like, and have been following Franklin too! He seems to be growing in the job and his team is a true reflection of that growth. Speaking of transitional coaches, I also have both eyes on the work that Mike Locksley is putting in at Maryland. That squad is going to be a dominant force fairly soon in the big 10. More impressive is his work off-field, ( NCMFC) and he's a fellow alumnus of Towson University to boot!!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was an SEC crew. There were some strange calls but it did not affect the outcome of the game.

Interesting . . . . . I don't know what the rules are when it comes to assigning officials to certain games. I do think the officials in last night's Auburn/Penn State game should have come from a conference not called the Big 10 or SEC however. At least the outcome of the game was not affected.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like, and have been following Franklin too! He seems to be growing in the job and his team is a true reflection of that growth. Speaking of transitional coaches, I also have both eyes on the work that Mike Locksley is putting in at Maryland. That squad is going to be a dominant force fairly soon in the big 10. More impressive is his work off-field, ( NCMFC) and he's a fellow alumnus of Towson University to boot!!

As a lifelong ACC fan I always check out Maryland scores since they were a member of the ACC for so long. When the Terps joined the Big 10 I knew they would compete in basketball but I wasn't so sure about football. They seem to be doing well in both now. I'm not familiar with Mike Locksley but I'll check him out.

That USC head coaching position is a high profile job. There are a lot of rumors flying around about who might get this job. Franklin at Penn State has been mentioned but he should be very happy where he is.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a lifelong ACC fan I always check out Maryland scores since they were a member of the ACC for so long. When the Terps joined the Big 10 I knew they would compete in basketball but I wasn't so sure about football. They seem to be doing well in both now. I'm not familiar with Mike Locksley but I'll check him out.

That USC head coaching position is a high profile job. There are a lot of rumors flying around about who might get this job. Franklin at Penn State has been mentioned but he should be very happy where he is.
I follow Maryland for the same reasons!

Others mentioned for that USC job are, Jacksonville coach Urban Meyer, Utah's Kyle Whittingham, Liberty's Hugh Freeze, Alabama Birmingham's Bill Clark, Louisiana's Billy Napier and Chiefs offensive coordinator, Eric Bieniemy Jr.

I can't see Meyer leaving after one year in Jacksonville, It's shameful that Bieniemy hasn't gotten a head coaching gig in the NFL and worse that he would have to go back on a campus in order to get a place in which he can do his thing as a HC.

It's going to be interesting to see if Whittingham, Freeze and Clark can transition to big time college football. Clark I don't believe would have that big of an adjustment, but we'll see if he's hired!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Franklin was named the coach in waiting while being an assistant under Friedgen. When the Fridge left MD Franklin was fired. He went to Vanderbilt as HC for the next three years and did a very credible job. Franklin has done a pretty good job at Penn State. His bowl record there is 3-3. His record against ranked teams on the road is sub .500. His is a pretty damned good recruiter. I would have hired Matt Rhule who was a former Penn State player and IMO the better coach.

Mike Locksley is on his third stint at MD, he is a local guy .... from DC. He was named interim coach at MD when Edsall was fired and he went 1-5. His next job was as HC of New Mexico where he was fired a few games into his 3rd year with a 2-26 record. Locks ended up at Alabama for three years, two of which he was the OC. That is why Tua's brother is at MD. Currently his coaching record on this stint is 9-17, that includes the 3-0 start which should go to 4-0.

tomcat I believe you are correct. MD (sorry I am a confused fan as I am a MD basketball fan since Lefty's first year) basketball and many other sports at MD will do well in the Big 10. A .500 MD team would be pretty good. Out recruiting three teams in their conference that can put 100,000 fans in the stadium will be very difficult. I looked at the MD schedule after the win Friday night and I think this will be Locks best year. I believe they will have a hard time beating all ranked teams Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and the Iowa. Not impossible but tough. I think Minnesota will be a tough test for MD also.

As you know I have a big rooting interest in Penn State. I root for MD also, it was easier when they were in the ACC. LOL I also root for Navy which is a local school. MD has been good to the kids I worked with and to many kids who came from my neighborhood. So I wish coach Locks well and of course I wish Franklin well. I still miss coach Larry Johnson being at Penn State. He is a local southern MD guy. Had Penn State kept him Then they might have had both Bosa's and Chase Young. He brought a lot of good kids from the local area to Penn State. He might be the best DLine coach in the NCAA.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I follow Maryland for the same reasons!

Others mentioned for that USC job are, Jacksonville coach Urban Meyer, Utah's Kyle Whittingham, Liberty's Hugh Freeze, Alabama Birmingham's Bill Clark, Louisiana's Billy Napier and Chiefs offensive coordinator, Eric Bieniemy Jr.

I can't see Meyer leaving after one year in Jacksonville, It's shameful that Bieniemy hasn't gotten a head coaching gig in the NFL and worse that he would have to go back on a campus in order to get a place in which he can do his thing as a HC.

It's going to be interesting to see if Whittingham, Freeze and Clark can transition to big time college football. Clark I don't believe would have that big of an adjustment, but we'll see if he's hired!

I saw that list of people being considered for the USC job the other day which also included Matt Rhule, head coach of the Carolina Panthers. For the life of me I cannot understand why Bieniemy is not a head coach somewhere by now after all of these years of proving himself. He must have some hidden baggage that we don't know about. Concerning Meyer, he might be back into college football again before we know it because he is a control freak and he won't get to control what he wants to with the Jaguars. He also doesn't seem like the kind of guy who can handle multiple consecutive losses for a long period of time. I guess time will tell how this plays out.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't understand why Bieniemy is not a coach yet.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Franklin was named the coach in waiting while being an assistant under Friedgen. When the Fridge left MD Franklin was fired. He went to Vanderbilt as HC for the next three years and did a very credible job. Franklin has done a pretty good job at Penn State. His bowl record there is 3-3. His record against ranked teams on the road is sub .500. His is a pretty damned good recruiter. I would have hired Matt Rhule who was a former Penn State player and IMO the better coach.

Mike Locksley is on his third stint at MD, he is a local guy .... from DC. He was named interim coach at MD when Edsall was fired and he went 1-5. His next job was as HC of New Mexico where he was fired a few games into his 3rd year with a 2-26 record. Locks ended up at Alabama for three years, two of which he was the OC. That is why Tua's brother is at MD. Currently his coaching record on this stint is 9-17, that includes the 3-0 start which should go to 4-0.

tomcat I believe you are correct. MD (sorry I am a confused fan as I am a MD basketball fan since Lefty's first year) basketball and many other sports at MD will do well in the Big 10. A .500 MD team would be pretty good. Out recruiting three teams in their conference that can put 100,000 fans in the stadium will be very difficult. I looked at the MD schedule after the win Friday night and I think this will be Locks best year. I believe they will have a hard time beating all ranked teams Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and the Iowa. Not impossible but tough. I think Minnesota will be a tough test for MD also.

As you know I have a big rooting interest in Penn State. I root for MD also, it was easier when they were in the ACC. LOL I also root for Navy which is a local school. MD has been good to the kids I worked with and to many kids who came from my neighborhood. So I wish coach Locks well and of course I wish Franklin well. I still miss coach Larry Johnson being at Penn State. He is a local southern MD guy. Had Penn State kept him Then they might have had both Bosa's and Chase Young. He brought a lot of good kids from the local area to Penn State. He might be the best DLine coach in the NCAA.

Thanks for the tour of your college teams. When Franklin coached Vanderbilt in the SEC and kept the Commodores from getting slaughtered I started noticing him. I thought he would get a better coaching job somewhere but I didn't think it would be as high up as Penn State.

So, if it's Maryland vs. Penn State who do you cheer for? You're not allowed to say I hope the game ends in a tie. I'm just curious, does Maryland still play it's home basketball games in that old Cole Field House (or something like that) or do they play in a newer arena? I've been in that old building many times to watch Lefty and his boys beat my Wolfpack most of the time. I've also been to that old football stadium many times that I think was on campus called Bird/Byrd Stadium or something like that to watch Maryland kick our butts some more. Please tell me that Maryland doesn't still play their home football games there.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the tour of your college teams. When Franklin coached Vanderbilt in the SEC and kept the Commodores from getting slaughtered I started noticing him. I thought he would get a better coaching job somewhere but I didn't think it would be as high up as Penn State.

So, if it's Maryland vs. Penn State who do you cheer for? You're not allowed to say I hope the game ends in a tie. I'm just curious, does Maryland still play it's home basketball games in that old Cole Field House (or something like that) or do they play in a newer arena? I've been in that old building many times to watch Lefty and his boys beat my Wolfpack most of the time. I've also been to that old football stadium many times that I think was on campus called Bird/Byrd Stadium or something like that to watch Maryland kick our butts some more. Please tell me that Maryland doesn't still play their home football games there.
Maryland men and women basketball is played here...

Xfinity Center (College Park, Maryland) - Wikipedia

Maryland football team home stadium is here...

Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium - University of ...

umterps.com/sports/2018/6/14/capital-one-field-at-maryland-stadium.aspx
umterps.com/sports/2018/6/14/capital

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, I was impressed with how well Franklin did at Vanderbilt. I did not think he would get the Penn State job. I really thought it would go to a former Penn State player.

Convoluted fandom .... I have been a Penn State football fan longer than a MD basketball fan ... by a few years. LOL I do not want Penn State to ever lose to the Terps in football. I was pissed when Franklin lost that game for the first time in 40 or 50 years to Penn State. I root for MD basketball over everyone else.

Cole Fieldhouse is now a practice facility. Kevin Plank contributed a lot of money to that evolution. It is pretty nice. Xfinity Center has been the basketball arena since 2002. I have been to basketball games there. The court is named Gary Williams Court. I graduated from high school at Cole Field House.

Byrd Stadium has been renamed Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium. It has been renovated several times and can now seat a little over 48,000 fans and students. It is almost never sold out. It might be for the Penn State game because Nittany Lion fans will likely fill it. The stadium is pretty nice these days. My first MD game was versus Syracuse. They had a sophomore RB named Floyd Little and he scored 3 TDs. I heard he went on to a pretty good NFL career. LOL Over the years I have been to numerous Penn State vs. Maryland football games in both stadiums. Maryland was only 20 miles up the road most of my life.

Like I said it was a lot easier when Maryland was in the ACC. I was a huge fan of Jim Valvano and who didn't love watching David Thompson play basketball. Well ... except when they played Maryland's basketball team. I still cry over that 1974 ACC Championship game. Maryland usually fields very good teams in soccer, men's lacrosse, Brenda Friese has a perennial very good basketball team and the women's field hockey team has won several national championships. The later being near and dear to my heart.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I was impressed with how well Franklin did at Vanderbilt. I did not think he would get the Penn State job. I really thought it would go to a former Penn State player.

Convoluted fandom .... I have been a Penn State football fan longer than a MD basketball fan ... by a few years. LOL I do not want Penn State to ever lose to the Terps in football. I was pissed when Franklin lost that game for the first time in 40 or 50 years to Penn State. I root for MD basketball over everyone else.

Cole Fieldhouse is now a practice facility. Kevin Plank contributed a lot of money to that evolution. It is pretty nice. Xfinity Center has been the basketball arena since 2002. I have been to basketball games there. The court is named Gary Williams Court. I graduated from high school at Cole Field House.

Byrd Stadium has been renamed Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium. It has been renovated several times and can now seat a little over 48,000 fans and students. It is almost never sold out. It might be for the Penn State game because Nittany Lion fans will likely fill it. The stadium is pretty nice these days. My first MD game was versus Syracuse. They had a sophomore RB named Floyd Little and he scored 3 TDs. I heard he went on to a pretty good NFL career. LOL Over the years I have been to numerous Penn State vs. Maryland football games in both stadiums. Maryland was only 20 miles up the road most of my life.

Like I said it was a lot easier when Maryland was in the ACC. I was a huge fan of Jim Valvano and who didn't love watching David Thompson play basketball. Well ... except when they played Maryland's basketball team. I still cry over that 1974 ACC Championship game. Maryland usually fields very good teams in soccer, men's lacrosse, Brenda Friese has a perennial very good basketball team and the women's field hockey team has won several national championships. The later being near and dear to my heart.

Even though I traveled Delaware to Florida for CBS, spending a lot of time in Maryland, for 20 years, I think you have given me a new education about Maryland in just a few paragraphs. I'll try hard to remember that for you it's Penn State in football and Maryland in basketball. At least my old mind still remembers Cole and Byrd even though I had no idea where Maryland plays its home games now.

Penn State football fans travel well! I'll never forget many years ago when Joe Paterno and his Nittany Lions came to Raleigh to play NC State with too many to count buses filled with Penn State fans. Seriously, Carter/Finley Stadium holds 60,000 and I'm pretty sure there were at least 25,000 Penn State fans in the sold out building.

I don't follow the non-revenue college sports very much but I did know that Maryland excels in a lot of them. I do follow men's ACC baseball since baseball has been a big part of my life.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big game for Maryland tomorrow at home against #5 Iowa. If MD can even keep this close I would be happy, if they won ... HOLY SHIT!!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big game for Maryland tomorrow at home against #5 Iowa. If MD can even keep this close I would be happy, if they won ... HOLY SHIT!!

Yes, that is a big time game! Since I don't have a dog in this fight I'll cheer for the TWERPS (well, that's what we use to call them around here but since we don't ever see them anymore I'll go back to TERPS.)

A few years ago I thought the NCAA agreed to not have Friday night games because it took away attendance and money from Friday night high school football. Maybe I dreamed this.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that is a big time game! Since I don't have a dog in this fight I'll cheer for the TWERPS (well, that's what we use to call them around here but since we don't ever see them anymore I'll go back to TERPS.)

A few years ago I thought the NCAA agreed to not have Friday night games because it took away attendance and money from Friday night high school football. Maybe I dreamed this.
Over at the half ... I was hoping it wouldn't be like this but not surprised either.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over at the half ... I was hoping it wouldn't be like this but not surprised either.

WOW, Iowa came to College Park to play tonight. I know they are highly ranked but I thought Maryland at home would make this game closer. I haven't seen a Big 10 schedule but Penn State vs. Iowa could be a great game if they play each other this season.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW, Iowa came to College Park to play tonight. I know they are highly ranked but I thought Maryland at home would make this game closer. I haven't seen a Big 10 schedule but Penn State vs. Iowa could be a great game if they play each other this season.
Penn State at Iowa a week from tomorrow.

This has been how it has gone for MD since they joined the Big 10 ... in their best years they do well but struggle to get 7 total wins after seeing the meat of their conference schedule. MD gets Ohio State next.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State at Iowa a week from tomorrow.

This has been how it has gone for MD since they joined the Big 10 ... in their best years they do well but struggle to get 7 total wins after seeing the meat of their conference schedule. MD gets Ohio State next.

What you said about Maryland's football program reminds me of what Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said . . . . . Coaching in the NFL is like preparing for Alabama every week.

Thanks for the heads up on Penn State at Iowa next Saturday. I'm going to try to watch that one.