• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Football OTs. Like or dislike?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you all think of the Overtime CFB has in place?

I have always liked the current OT system (the Kansas Plan)

What do you all think they should have. The Kansas plan or something different.

Ideas welcome.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beats the pros. Can't stand the coin flip wins it (nearly).

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the current. It's a hell of alot better than the NFL OT which is based on ending the game as quickly as possible so it doesn't cut into the next game instead of what is best.

Even my youngest kids 7th/8th grade team league has it right. They both get the ball on the 10 and do it back and forth until there is a winner, but they don't kick FG's so it's always going for the 2. They went into double OT last week.

NFL OT sucks.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beats the pros. Can't stand the coin flip wins it (nearly).

It is a coin flip wins it pretty much and with all the rules they are making to benefit the offense it's just going to get worse and worse.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it adds a lot more excitement than the NFL version, but I understand the football purists. I have a friend who hates OT and believes we should just have ties. It sucks, but he has a good point - the game was designed around 4 quarters of play. If one team is as good as another, why should they have to take the loss because we decided to play extra football? I think the LSU fans will understand this.

However, I prefer to look at it from the POV that football is a game, a game is for entertainment, so I love it. The only tweak I'd make is the "go for 2" rule. I think that should be in effect after 5 OTs, not 2.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it adds a lot more excitement than the NFL version, but I understand the football purists. I have a friend who hates OT and believes we should just have ties. It sucks, but he has a good point - the game was designed around 4 quarters of play. If one team is as good as another, why should they have to take the loss because we decided to play extra football? I think the LSU fans will understand this.

However, I prefer to look at it from the POV that football is a game, a game is for entertainment, so I love it. The only tweak I'd make is the "go for 2" rule. I think that should be in effect after 5 OTs, not 2.

Ties suck. Play until there is a winner. If 4 quarters doesn't do it, then it's unfinished.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely HATE the Kansas plan. Ridiculous.

Coin flip. If the offense scores, the other team gets a shot. If they don't they lose. If the first team with the ball fails and the other team scores game fucking over. Play until the cows come home or someone wins. Its not a hard concept and certainly not retarded like what we have now.

I think retards are in charge of these things. They take such a simple thing and fuck it all up.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move it back to the 50. Starting in fg range is stupid IMO.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its ok I guess..i think there should be more of a need to drive the field....start at your own 25-30. instant field goal range seems too easy in my opinion

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I like the Kansas overtime system (I implementing it myself in my college's intramural games back in the 80s), I would prefer something that's a little fairer, if that's possible. The new NFL rules might fit that bill now.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move it back to the 50. Starting in fg range is stupid IMO.

If you're gonna move it back to the 50, you might as well just do the NFL plan. They have it that close so games don't go on for another hour and a half or so.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coin flip. If the offense scores, the other team gets a shot. If they don't they lose. If the first team with the ball fails and the other team scores game fucking over. Play until the cows come home or someone wins. Its not a hard concept and certainly not retarded like what we have now.

I think retards are in charge of these things. They take such a simple thing and fuck it all up.

Why don't you stop beating around the bush already?

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only difference between what you just described and the Kansas plan is a shortened field.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say I hate the kansas plan, but I have always wished they did it similar to what iron said. The current tiebreaker removes the special teams completely and both kick offs and punts are a part of the game. Just kick off and if you score let the other team have a kickoff as well. If you can't score and need to punt then first team to score wins. Still, this is better than the pros so I'm fine with it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say I hate the kansas plan, but I have always wished they did it similar to what iron said. The current tiebreaker removes the special teams completely and both kick offs and punts are a part of the game. Just kick off and if you score let the other team have a kickoff as well. If you can't score and need to punt then first team to score wins. Still, this is better than the pros so I'm fine with it.

Defensive games would never end.

Has to be in FG range.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the current OT system. The only change I would make is placing the ball on the 35 instead of the 25.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pros do a kickoff now and they don't go on forever. Only difference for me is giving the other team a chance to score back to remove the coin flip thing. I've just never been in favor of any tiebreaker system that has you doing something different than the normal game. Like goal kicks in soccer. :scratch:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the current OT system. The only change I would make is placing the ball on the 35 instead of the 25.

this is very reasonable.

At least make a few yards b4 you are in FG range.

a 52 yard FG isn't a given for 95% of CFB teams. But a 45 is very makeable for teams not named Oregon.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pros do a kickoff now and they don't go on forever. Only difference for me is giving the other team a chance to score back to remove the coin flip thing. I've just never been in favor of any tiebreaker system that has you doing something different than the normal game. Like goal kicks in soccer. :scratch:

All I know is Alabama and LSU might still be playing the 2011 game.