• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 College Football season thread (AKA: What the beginning of the end looks like)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 23rd recap

Deja-vu. I went 1-0 on Monday, but went 0-2 on Tuesday. Now I go 1-0 on Wednesday, but went 0-2 yesterday.
The Frisco Football Classic had Miami-Ohio simply stopping North Texas's run game. The Gasparilla Bowl, however, gave me hope as Emory Jones scored early for the Gators. But then as the penalties and the penalties and the penalties piled up, UCF would scamper off with their 1st-ever win over Florida.

Rating for the Frisco Classic: 2 stars
Rating for the Gasparilla Bowl: 2.5 stars

Oh, and two more things. First, I have Georgia State winning against Ball State in that Camellia Bowl. And second, I am praying for Justin Shorter.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl catchup

Yeah, sorry about the time away. But you know, Christmas and all that.

Anyway, the Camellia Bowl was a boring blowout as Georgia State did me proud. But then I had Nevada beating Western Michigan in that Quick Lane Bowl... and that went terribly.

Rating for the Camellia Bowl: 1.75 stars
Rating for the Quick Lane Bowl: 2 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 5)

Uh oh. All 5 games scheduled for today is still on. That means I have to dig deep and give you expert analysis for these games. Get ready to follow along (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN unless noted)

Birmingham Bowl: Houston vs. Auburn [12:00] (Houston is trying to wash off a bad showing in the AAC title game and win a big one for their conference, as they take on an Auburn team that's on a 4-game losing streak. Yet Auburn is playing not too far from home, and they still have SEC-level talent. But they DO have some opt-outs to deal with, and they no longer have their offensive coordinator...)
My prediction: Houston 38-35

SERVPRO First Responder Bowl: Air Force vs. Louisville
[3:15] (A pass-minded offense vs. a team that rarely throws the ball ever. That type of matchup ALWAYS seems to draw in curious CFB fans. And Malik Cunningham [the QB for Louisville] is ready to go! ...Too bad he can't play on defense, because Louisville's run defense is pretty bad. And guess what Air Force does very well? Then again, if the Falcons can't stop the Cardinals...)
My prediction: Air Force 31-28

Autozone Liberty Bowl: Texas Tech vs. Mississippi State
[6:45] (Hmm... Of course, Texas Tech has the more balanced offense, but Mississippi State's D is actually better than Tech's. And, didn't Mike Leach used to coach at Texas Tech? AND, he told us that he's still mad over how he got fired from that school? Well, that sounds like a easy pick for me!)
My prediction: Mississippi State 44-28

Holiday Bowl: UCLA vs. NC State
[8:00, FOX] (A lot of peculiarities in this contest. First, it's the only bowl game that FOX will televise. And second, it's taking place at San Diego's Petco Park... where the San Diego Padres play [and soccer and rugby and tennis and some other stuff]. But on the positive side, HERE are a pair of teams that knows what to do in the face of a pandemic!
All kidding aside, we got a QB duel between Dorian Thompson-Robinson of UCLA and Devin Leary for NC State. But the X-factor is NC State's defense; it's a scheme that UCLA hasn't seen too much of.)
My prediction: NC State 41-34

Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia vs. Minnesota
[10:15] (By the way, this used to be the Insight Bowl before the sponsors of this game got changed. Anyway, Minnesota's passing attack is not the best in the world, but it gets the job done. And besides, the Gophers' run defense looks awesome [and should do great with RB Leddie Brown opting out of the game for West Virginia]. Thing is, QB Jarret Doege is one hell of an equalizer for the Mountaineers.)
My prediction: West Virginia 27-24

...and I'm done [for now]! More bowls still to come.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opt outs................. total fucking bullshit. They should have to pay back their scholarship money. among other things.

For those that believe in opt outs. Why not draw the line earlier in the season?!?!?!?! conference rivalry games!!!!! All these big name players could get hurt in THAT game. Maybe they should opt out of that one. and why not earlier???? you could get hurt in any game. maybe the bowl game isn't enough. How about that???

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scrap the Holiday bowl UCLA players test positive for Covid

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (December 28th-Part 1)

Scrap the Holiday bowl UCLA players test positive for Covid

Ugh! There goes part of my creditability. It was just a part of a bad day for me; later I had power go out in 2 of the rooms of my house... which happened NOWHERE ELSE in my house or the town!
And because of that, I missed Minnesota's defense make fools out of West Virginia. AND I missed Mike Leach getting so mad at seeing Texas Tech again that he forgot how to run his "Air Raid" offense right. So Texas Tech now has it's first bowl win since 2013.

Rating for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl: 2 stars
Rating for the Liberty Bowl: 2.25 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (December 28th- Part 2)

Of course, it wasn't a REALLY bad day yesterday. I DID see Houston win a low-scoring game over Auburn to grab a 12-win season. And I also saw Air Force play just enough defense to deny Louisville a comeback win.

Rating for the Birmingham Bowl: 3 stars
Rating for the First Responder Bowl: 2.75 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl Predictions (Part 6- December 29th)

So after going 2-2-1 yesterday (2 wins, 2 losses, and 1 NC), let's see what sort of fun (or BS) we get today with these bowls (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN):

New Era Pinstripe Bowl: Maryland vs. Virginia Tech [2:15] (I want to go with Virginia Tech in the latest installment of this bowl game at Yankee Stadium. But the Hokies have a make-shift coaching staff. And Va-Tech got hit HARD by the latest rounds of the transfer portal, which means a new QB will have to start for them. AND Maryland just found out that QB Taulia Tagovailoa is coming back for another year.)
My prediction: Maryland 45-38

Cheez-It Bowl: Clemson vs. Iowa State
[5:45] (It's the 1st-ever meeting between Clemson and Iowa State, and this game is basically a "pick-em". And both teams have great defenses, so a low-scoring game could occur. But Breece Hall is not playing for Iowa State? And Clemson is on a roll right now?)
My prediction: Clemson 24-17

Valero Alamo Bowl: Oregon vs. Oklahoma
[9:15] (I'm gonna say it again: This could be the best non-"New Year's Six" bowl game this season. I mean, SO many things could mess up my pick. Both Oregon and Oklahoma lost their head coaches over the last month [although Bob Stoops is coming back to the Sooners for one night only]. Oklahoma's passing game is certainly better than Oregon's, but their QB Caleb Williams is facing questions about his future. And, oh yeah, both teams may have 1,000-yard rushers but they are missing some defensive studs.)
My prediction: Oklahoma 38-31 (Screw it. I'll go with Bob Stoops and see what happens.)

More bowl picks to come...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (December 29th)

So yesterday went better than Tuesday, as the power didn't go out in my room (Knock on wood) and I went 3-0 in my picks.
The Alamo Bowl was over pretty early, as Oklahoma did so well in the 1st half that they could afford to sleep a little bit in the last 30 minutes. The Pinstripe Bowl was a complete blow-out, as Maryland wins their first bowl in quite a while.

Clemson vs. Iowa State - Game Summary - December 29, 2021 - ESPN But the Cheez-It Bowl surprised a few people by being almost as close as Vegas thought it was gonna be. And how about that Clemson defense, eh?

Rating for the Pinstripe Bowl: 1.75 stars
Rating for the Alamo Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the Cheez-It Bowl: 3 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 7- December 30th)

So now we enter the "New Year's Six" window. Let's just dive into it and preview the 4 bowls going on today (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN):

Duke's Mayo Bowl: North Carolina vs. South Carolina [11:00 A.M.] (So wait a moment. The winning coach of this game will get a bunch of mayo dumped on him? Now I don't wanna watch this bowl game anymore. No, wait. Maybe the reason I'm not watching this game anymore is that I found out how bad South Carolina's offense has been this year. If it doesn't somehow wake up here, the Tar Heels should roll.)
My prediction: North Carolina 30-17

Transperfect Music City Bowl: Tennessee vs. Purdue
[3:00] (In case you're wondering, Transperfect is a translation and language service. Anyway, on paper ESPN is correct when they made this a virtual "pick-em" game. We got a QB duel between Aidan O' Connell for Purdue and Hendon Hooker for Tennessee. We also have optimistic fan bases and a Purdue defense that looks ready to slow down the Vols. But what's this? Tennessee can run the ball almost as well as they can pass it? Can Purdue's offense claim the same? No.)
My prediction: Tennessee 35-31

SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl: Arizona State vs. Wisconsin
[10:30] (Aaaaaannnnnnd, we now have ANOTHER roofing supply chain sponsoring a bowl. Anyway, let's get to the bowl game now being held at Allegiant Stadium. Both teams know that their QB's aren't too reliable, so they're gonna rely on their running games to try and win this. And I'm gonna rely on Wisconsin's defense to get this bowl pick right!)
My prediction: Wisconsin 24-20

Chick-Fill-A Peach Bowl:
Pittsburgh vs. Michigan State [7:00]
(It's Mel Tucker vs. Pat Narduzzi! Two east-coast teams fighting in Atlanta! Pittsburgh just won their first-ever ACC title, while Michigan State is having a fine turn-around season. And to make things even more interesting, both teams will be missing their big-time stars; Pitt is without QB Kenny Pickett, and MSU is missing RB Kenneth Walker.
Pay attention to Michigan State's secondary in this game. You might not have noticed it thanks to the big comeback, but the Spartans' pass defense ranks last in the nation. If Pitt's substitute QB gets rolling, it may not bode well.)
My prediction: Pittsburgh 34-20
So, see you guys on New Year's Eve- Wait. That's when the CFP semis take place, right? Oh boy...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke's Mayo and Las Vegas Bowls

So at the worst possible time, South Carolina's offense wakes up and takes the Duke's Mayo Bowl. That was the beginning of a 1-3 day for me.
But the one win came at the Las Vegas Bowl, where Wisconsin's fast start was enough for them to win it.

Rating for the Duke's Mayo Bowl: 2.25 stars
Rating for the Las Vegas Bowl: 2.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peach and Music City bowls

I just went on Facebook, and the CFB groups are on fire talking about the ending to the Music City Bowl (Hell of a game, by the way). I knew that Purdue had won it on a late field goal, I just didn't realize that Tennessee's 4th down run in OT was really that big of a deal.

Pittsburgh vs. Michigan State - Game Summary - December 30, 2021 - ESPN Speaking of endings, here's how the last part of the Peach Bowl went for me. I was relived to see Pittsburgh rally to within field-goal range, but then that Pitt QB threw that unnecessary pass and the Spartans returned it for the game-clinching TD. And my head hit the table.

Rating for the Music City Bowl: 3.75 stars
Rating for the Peach Bowl: 3.5 stars

Wait... I just realized it. The Big 10 went 3-0 in bowls yesterday. An omen, perhaps?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff predictions

The title is pretty self-explanatory. It's time for me to finally get to the college football playoff games:

Cotton Bowl Classic:
Alabama vs. Cincinnati [3:30]
(Of course, you're gonna get the standard "David vs. Goliath" storyline. You're gonna get the whole "Cincinnati playing for the little guy" storyline. But what you probably DON'T know is that on paper, Cincinnati's defense is actually on par with Alabama's!
Thing is, Alabama's running defense does look better than Cincinnati's. And yes, Desmond Ridder is a solid QB, but he's playing against Bryce Young! The same Bryce Young that just won the Heisman and looks amazing! And don't forget, I have my national title pick to worry about.)
My prediction: Alabama 41-27 [Sorry, Cincinnati. The joyride's over.]

Orange Bowl:
Michigan vs. Georgia [7:30]
(Experts are calling this one "the best pure football game on the slate", as they eagerly await two awesome defenses going at it here in Miami. RB Hassin Haskins is just one of the stars that has turned Michigan around, as well as the evolution of Jim Harbaugh. But I'm willing to bet that Georgia's stout defense has learned their lesson from that awful SEC title game a mouth ago.
Pay attention to Michigan's passing attack; if it can't get going, then that's it.)
My prediction: Georgia 34-27 (Which means that if these picks hold, we'll have another all-SEC national title game. Oh, boy.)​

And by the way, I have Washington State and Wake Forest winning the other bowl games today. Okay, enjoy your playoff!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 9- New Year's Day)

...Sometimes you hate being right. That was true with the playoff games yesterday. Oh well, we're in a new year, so let's see what joys we got in store today (All times are Eastern)!

New Year's Six bowl games:
PlayStation Fiesta Bowl:
Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma State [1:00, ESPN]
(This game is a "pick-em", mainly because Notre Dame is breaking a new coach [Right here! In this game!] and/or there are doubts about Oklahoma State's offense. So if YOU pick this game and you get it wrong, don't be upset. But I'm going with the team who has the best defense.)
My prediction: Oklahoma State 31-28 (Surprised, aren't you?)

Rose Bowl:
Ohio State vs. Utah [5:00, ESPN]
(Yes! Yet another edition of "The Grand-daddy of them all", and it features a familiar face [Ohio State] taking on a not-so familiar face [Utah]. The Utes are seeing this as a landmark achievement for the program [and for the memories of their fallen comrades]. Yet Ohio State has had time to steam after their loss to Michigan, and they should be able to rebound and win. Unless, of course, Utah comes up with a way to stop that Buckeye passing game.)
My prediction: Ohio State 34-24

Allstate Sugar Bowl:
Ole Miss vs. Baylor [8:45, ESPN]
(You know what, guys? I just realized something; I don't think I've EVER gotten a Sugar Bowl pick right [Maybe one time in 2015, but other than that...]. If you exclude that part of history, we'll all be in for what may be the best bowl game of the year. Both teams can score, and both teams have proud coaches. It'll all just come down to which coach makes one mistake too many.)
My prediction: Baylor 44-40

Other bowl games:
Outback Bowl: Penn State vs. Arkansas
[12:00, ESPN2] (Here, you got a matchup between two teams with great histories. Though Penn State will be without it's best offensive playmaker, they shou- Wait, what? Welp, Arkansas should roll here!)
My prediction: Arkansas 31-17

Vrbo Citrus Bowl: Kentucky vs. Iowa
[1:00, ABC] (On paper, this is one of the least sexy-sounding bowl games this season. But the X's-and-O's people are no doubt pleased. Those guys are probably wondering how Iowa is gonna wake up their dormant offense, 'cause that's what's gonna make the difference in what should be a low-scoring game.)
My prediction: Kentucky 23-17

...and I'm done! If you guys want me to get in-depth with the upcoming Texas Bowl, let me know.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (January 1st through 4th)

Sorry for the lack of updates last weekend; I was getting that electrical problem taken care of. Anyway, most of New Year's Eve was a bust. And the recent Texas Bowl was a bust (Thank the stars I didn't predict it, or my pick of LSU would have blown up in my face).

But New Year's Day? Oh, it was brilliant! Arkansas won the Outback Bowl, while Wan'Dale Robinson came through big-time for the Wildcats in the Citrus Bowl. We also saw Baylor unleash a proud defense to win in New Orleans, even though Ole Miss was handicapped by Matt Carrol getting hurt.

Rating for the Outback Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the Citrus Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Sugar Bowl: 2.75 stars

But the Fiesta and Rose Bowls would put those 3 other games to shame. In Pasadena, just know that we saw another all-timer. And in Arizona, Oklahoma State did a masterful job in humbling Notre Dame with that comeback.

Rating for the Rose Bowl: 4.25 stars
Rating for the Fiesta Bowl: 3.75 stars