• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ex wife has said its possible the killer was gay
Yeah that's been all but confirmed now. His ex-wife said it (also said his father would call him gay and f----t regularly) and numerous regulars at the bar say he was there at least on a semi-regular basis.

Which I think calls for a deeper study into how religion plays into repressed rage - does this happen if his religion doesn't cast homosexuality as a totally disgusting and immoral sin that will send you straight to hell? That can play for a lot of religions, not just his, but it's a conversation that needs to be had in this world of gay conversion therapy and preachers with large followings saying men will be sent to hell if they enjoy dick.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunman's Wife Tried to Talk Him Out of Attack

So she'll be in prison until she's 75, right?

I saw an interview with some former co-worker who said he knew this was a matter of time because the shooter would straight up say he was going to kill gay people. Saw this on TV. How is he not in custody either? THIS IS THE KIND OF SHIT YOU CALL THE FUCKING POLICE OVER MORONS, NOT WHEN THE MC DICKS DRIVE THRU FORGETS YOUR BBQ SAUCE!

That is a tough one. Lots of people say lots of things, and the vast majority of the time nothing comes from it. Who, since Solomon, can divine real threats from empty words?

At what point do you start incarcerating people for thoughts?

There are no easy answers.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, if this is true, that's just terrible.
Found the co-worker interview:

"I saw it coming." Former co-worker talks about Omar Mateen

“I saw it coming. I mean everything. he told me he was going to do it. Besides the date and the location, he said he was going to kill a whole bunch of people.”

Why the fucking hell didn't you call 911? That alone, if it led to a psychiatric evaluation at the very least, would have prevented him from obtaining a firearm. You fucking fuckwit.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a tough one. Lots of people say lots of things, and the vast majority of the time nothing comes from it. Who, since Solomon, can divine real threats from empty words?

At what point do you start incarcerating people for thoughts?

There are no easy answers.
Threatening to kill people isn't a thought. It's a death threat and every jurisdiction in the western world has a penalty for making death threats.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Threatening to kill people isn't a thought. It's a death threat and every jurisdiction in the western world has a penalty for making death threats.

I am sure that every night in a bar somewhere, some guy tells another guy "I am going to kill you". Not just in the US either. Do we convict every one of those people of a crime?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's been all but confirmed now. His ex-wife said it (also said his father would call him gay and f----t regularly) and numerous regulars at the bar say he was there at least on a semi-regular basis.

Which I think calls for a deeper study into how religion plays into repressed rage - does this happen if his religion doesn't cast homosexuality as a totally disgusting and immoral sin that will send you straight to hell? That can play for a lot of religions, not just his, but it's a conversation that needs to be had in this world of gay conversion therapy and preachers with large followings saying men will be sent to hell if they enjoy dick.

Definitely religion is a factor.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure that every night in a bar somewhere, some guy tells another guy "I am going to kill you". Not just in the US either. Do we convict every one of those people of a crime?
If it is reported, it can be prosecuted.

And it's not like people don't get shot/stabbed in clubs/bars. It happens there, it happens here. Here's a shooting at a bar in Brampton last month:

A man has died after a shooting at Brampton bar and grill | Toronto Star

Here's another one just outside a bar in January:

Toronto police ID suspect in April 2 Corktown shooting | Toronto Star

Shit, bars and clubs are some of the most common places for random acts of murder to happen. Any threat made there should be taken extremely seriously.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is reported, it can be prosecuted.

And it's not like people don't get shot/stabbed in clubs/bars. It happens there, it happens here. Here's a shooting at a bar in Brampton last month:

A man has died after a shooting at Brampton bar and grill | Toronto Star

Here's another one just outside a bar in January:

Toronto police ID suspect in April 2 Corktown shooting | Toronto Star

Shit, bars and clubs are some of the most common places for random acts of murder to happen. Any threat made there should be taken extremely seriously.

Agreed. Likelihood of the verbal threat actually being accomplished is much higher.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What if you receive a death threat on the SportsHoopla NHL board?

:D

/It's a banning

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still sickened.

Went to bed late Saturday night after just finding out a co-worker from my previous job had died. I didn't find out until they asked if I could do some part time work for them and mentioned they needed help because they no longer had her. I figured she got a new job so I asked where and was told she died in March. Of course I read that email immediately before bed. So I was upset about that and upset that her husband, someone I worked with for 15 years, moved away to be closer to his family so I didn't get a chance to see him before he left. Even though I haven’t worked there for 3 years I am now so glad they could talk me into meeting them all for lunch before Christmas last year.

Then I get up and read about a shooting in Orlando. I assumed it was more about the singer who had been shot the day before but quickly found out it wasn't. I started following it just in time to see the death toll jump from 19 to 20, then 50. I still cannot believe that number.

Then I quickly hope that something will be done finally, but that shows just how stupid I am. If 20 elementary school kids get killed and we do nothing - what are the chances any real changes are made when 50 gay people get killed? And almost another 50 shot!

Then I see arguments on facebook where people are upset that they keep reporting the shooting as happening in a gay bar and gay people were shot – why can’t they just report it as a bar and citizens? One person even responded that was the first thing they thought of when they saw the news of the shooting. That’s the first thing you thought of? Fuck you then. They were targeted at least partially because they were gay- if that makes you uncomfortable then fuck you too.

Then the politicians to varying degrees offer their thoughts or prayers. Oh how nice. One congratulates himself publicly – a gesture which should stop any decent person from ever voting for him again – and yet his followers seem to love it.

Then days of idiots making ‘so should we ban cars and planes then too?’ idiotic arguments. Or ‘we cannot do anything, it’s the constitution arguments’ that make no more sense than the car/plan arguments.

50 people killed. It could be 5000. It wouldn’t matter. We as a nation suck, and we deserve what we get. We cannot make the country safer, we cannot improve our healthcare and make it more affordable, and we cannot make education more affordable for what some would say is all the same reason –its un-American. The real reason is that we are not a good enough country to make those changes.

I’m all over the place. Sorry. Just pissed off and upset. I’ll try to make some penis jokes this afternoon.

Oh and if anyone complains about this - just go ahead and ban me.

Comeds, you and I have failed to see eye to eye at times over the years (like on the topic of the Baltimore Ravens), but you are a good egg and I respect the hell out of you. You really summed up a lot of what I have been feeling of late but was unable to put into words.

Don't ban him.

Until football season.

Comeds: I appreciate your heartfelt post, even though I am not sure I would conclude that we "suck".

When we can't put egos aside and try and find a true solution to a public safety problem, *we* do indeed suck.

His ex wife has said its possible the killer was gay

And his dad is a hardline conservative anti-American whackjob who has a massive ani-gay bias.

Repression is a terrible thing. When you are raised to believe you need to hate a core part of yourself, it is never going to end well. Self loathing hardly ever manifests itself in just one person's death or injury.

Found the co-worker interview:

"I saw it coming." Former co-worker talks about Omar Mateen

“I saw it coming. I mean everything. he told me he was going to do it. Besides the date and the location, he said he was going to kill a whole bunch of people.”

Why the fucking hell didn't you call 911? That alone, if it led to a psychiatric evaluation at the very least, would have prevented him from obtaining a firearm. You fucking fuckwit.

I see people asking this a lot, and I get the sentiment. But I see it from a law enforcement/investigation issue. The feds already interacted with the guy. He was interviewed a number of times for ties to a suicide bomber. He was on a watch list already. So what good would calling 911 for another threat (even though this one didn't turn out to be empty) be? All it would have done is delayed it.

Let me reiterate. HE WAS INTERVIEWED BY THE FBI FOR TIES TO A SUICIDE BOMBER and he bought an AR-15 a week ago. Legally. In accordance with his license to do so. Because he said the right combination of words to get the Feds to leave him alone. So they could move on to the hundreds of thousands of other "reports". Clues in the form of events that lead to crimes only become clear in hindsight.

Not to absolve the person who "saw it coming" and did nothing. Just saying that maybe he would have been questioned and maybe his buying the AR-15 would have set off an alarm. But all this would have meant is this would have been delayed a week or a month. And he probably would have killed the co-worker too before going to the club. Or Disney World as was suggested was his second choice of target.

Contrary to what Trumpies would like, you can't just hold a person indefinitely for a series of possibly linked events. Not even if they are brown people.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, I came back from an early showing of Angry Birds and saw that my mom got hold of my laptop and posted some stuff. I kinda want to change the password so she cannot log back in, but I kind of also want to see her dick joke.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see people asking this a lot, and I get the sentiment. But I see it from a law enforcement/investigation issue. The feds already interacted with the guy. He was interviewed a number of times for ties to a suicide bomber. He was on a watch list already. So what good would calling 911 for another threat (even though this one didn't turn out to be empty) be? All it would have done is delayed it.

Let me reiterate. HE WAS INTERVIEWED BY THE FBI FOR TIES TO A SUICIDE BOMBER and he bought an AR-15 a week ago. Legally. In accordance with his license to do so. Because he said the right combination of words to get the Feds to leave him alone. So they could move on to the hundreds of thousands of other "reports". Clues in the form of events that lead to crimes only become clear in hindsight.

Not to absolve the person who "saw it coming" and did nothing. Just saying that maybe he would have been questioned and maybe his buying the AR-15 would have set off an alarm. But all this would have meant is this would have been delayed a week or a month. And he probably would have killed the co-worker too before going to the club. Or Disney World as was suggested was his second choice of target.

Contrary to what Trumpies would like, you can't just hold a person indefinitely for a series of possibly linked events. Not even if they are brown people.
Having ties to a person is different from making a threat. The article with his wife says she was trying to discourage him once he already had the weapons and made his intentions clear. There's a gulf of difference there. That is literally calling LE and saying "I know someone who is about to commit a crime". There is no chance that isn't taken seriously immediately and handled.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, I came back from an early showing of Angry Birds and saw that my mom got hold of my laptop and posted some stuff. I kinda want to change the password so she cannot log back in, but I kind of also want to see her dick joke.
Now not protecting the security of your SportsHoopla account? That IS a banning. :D

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having ties to a person is different from making a threat. The article with his wife says she was trying to discourage him once he already had the weapons and made his intentions clear. There's a gulf of difference there. That is literally calling LE and saying "I know someone who is about to commit a crime". There is no chance that isn't taken seriously immediately and handled.

I hadn't seen that about the wife, I was referring to the co-worker. That does make a difference in how quickly they react.

But my point remains. He isn't going to prison for life over it, he would be interviewed, released, and then he kills his wife and child before going to the club.

No chance he sits in the police station and says "Yeah, you got me. Here's what I was gonna do. Take me away!".

When a systemic problem is left to the street level law enforcement to fix, it's far too late, usually.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Then I quickly hope that something will be done finally, but that shows just how stupid I am. If 20 elementary school kids get killed and we do nothing .

Unfortunately, that's the key.
Once the powers-that-be decided it's OK to kill children, the war on guns was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.