• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny how all the Musk dickriders are saying that “corporate” media is just bashing it. And that Twitter is the media now.

And I say to those folks….Twitter is a corporation and is just as corporate as those other services.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a rumor floating around last night that Elon made someone else a presenter in addition to Ronny D and that person kept muting the stream.

There is no confirmation, obviously.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a rumor floating around last night that Elon made someone else a presenter in addition to Ronny D and that person kept muting the stream.

There is no confirmation, obviously.
LOL...another of his dickriders actually commented that it was hacked.
If that was the case that makes it a million times worse than just not having the proper services in place to auto-scale to handle any addtional data load.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...another of his dickriders actually commented that it was hacked.
If that was the case that makes it a million times worse than just not having the proper services in place to auto-scale to handle any addtional data load.
Yeah, I can't decide on whether letting that out looks better or worse. The guy is a complete tech donkey who actually bought Twitter to stop a kid from tracking his jet with publicly available FAA data. He would definitely be the kind of moron to give the wrong person control of his meeting.

I read in a pretty well vetted Discord channel I am in for work from a (former) Twitter infrastructure engineer said that in order to "trim the fat" he went into a Twitter data center and started unplugging servers and looking at his app on his phone. His idea was that if unplugging the server didn't cause the app to crash, then the server wasn't critical and wasting money. They spent decades building a resilient, redundant network and this donkey went and kicked out a bunch of servers. And then fired the people responsible for building the resilience into the network.

Reminds me of the dumbest IT director I ever worked for. My boss and I had just implemented this fancy new tool called Solar Winds. We were configuring and labeling zones of our network and setting up pretty graphs when suddenly one whole section of our network went red. We're confused but hopeful it was just instrumentation, when the phones went ballistic. As we were fielding a call from the head of the call center that just went dark, that IT Director went walking by from the direction of a distribution closet with a switch under his arm. When asked he said "Southern MD shop needs this". My Boss yanked it from him and said "So do we".

Both my boss and I got commendations for fixing the outage so fast. We met little budget resistance after that because we said the new tool helped us diagnose the problem faster. So when we suggested new tools, we always tied back to the great call center outage of 11:00 AM to 11:05 AM.

A few months later, that director said that the Dover location was having some email problems for the executives and he was gonna head out and help them. While he was driving out there, we backed up the execs Exchange Container and set up the server to screens share. We spent 45 minutes laughing to the point of being unable to draw breath as we watched him poke around at random and eventually settle on deleting the executive mail container on the Exchange Server. Then he went in and noticed all the executive's mail was gone. There was a pause and then we watched him google a bunch of stuff starting with "recover mailbox", truly not understanding the scale of what he had just done. When he finally called us, we told him to let the execs know that we would look into it and get back to them. We went to lunch across town, leaving him there sweating in the big mahogany office while everyone thought we were toiling away fixing a major problem. We came came back, moved the database back in place, fixed the original problem (several individual mailbox were nearing size limit, so we increased them), and called it a processing capacity overflow (My boss would not let me call it an ID 10 T error).

Once again we got praised for our dedication.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can't decide on whether letting that out looks better or worse. The guy is a complete tech donkey who actually bought Twitter to stop a kid from tracking his jet with publicly available FAA data. He would definitely be the kind of moron to give the wrong person control of his meeting.

I read in a pretty well vetted Discord channel I am in for work from a (former) Twitter infrastructure engineer said that in order to "trim the fat" he went into a Twitter data center and started unplugging servers and looking at his app on his phone. His idea was that if unplugging the server didn't cause the app to crash, then the server wasn't critical and wasting money. They spent decades building a resilient, redundant network and this donkey went and kicked out a bunch of servers. And then fired the people responsible for building the resilience into the network.

Reminds me of the dumbest IT director I ever worked for. My boss and I had just implemented this fancy new tool called Solar Winds. We were configuring and labeling zones of our network and setting up pretty graphs when suddenly one whole section of our network went red. We're confused but hopeful it was just instrumentation, when the phones went ballistic. As we were fielding a call from the head of the call center that just went dark, that IT Director went walking by from the direction of a distribution closet with a switch under his arm. When asked he said "Southern MD shop needs this". My Boss yanked it from him and said "So do we".

Both my boss and I got commendations for fixing the outage so fast. We met little budget resistance after that because we said the new tool helped us diagnose the problem faster. So when we suggested new tools, we always tied back to the great call center outage of 11:00 AM to 11:05 AM.

A few months later, that director said that the Dover location was having some email problems for the executives and he was gonna head out and help them. While he was driving out there, we backed up the execs Exchange Container and set up the server to screens share. We spent 45 minutes laughing to the point of being unable to draw breath as we watched him poke around at random and eventually settle on deleting the executive mail container on the Exchange Server. Then he went in and noticed all the executive's mail was gone. There was a pause and then we watched him google a bunch of stuff starting with "recover mailbox", truly not understanding the scale of what he had just done. When he finally called us, we told him to let the execs know that we would look into it and get back to them. We went to lunch across town, leaving him there sweating in the big mahogany office while everyone thought we were toiling away fixing a major problem. We came came back, moved the database back in place, fixed the original problem (several individual mailbox were nearing size limit, so we increased them), and called it a processing capacity overflow (My boss would not let me call it an ID 10 T error).

Once again we got praised for our dedication.
LOL.. that is a good one. Oh the old stories we could tell from stupid people in IT. :D

Never forget this one.....had an IT director once unplug a token from a token ring network. That whole section of the network was down until we figured out the location.

This was way back so it took a little while to figure out what part of the token was down. When discovered and plugged back in that IT directory said he thought it wasn't necessary. He knew exactly what he unplugged and didn't tell any of us until he realized it was part of the token switches.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit - After reading those stories ^^^ I'm feeling a bit nervous..

Just yesterday I shut down an old server that wasn't in use. No really it wasn't in use and no users have mentioned losing anything yet, so I think I'm good. Right?

Later today I'll physically remove it from the room.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just yesterday I shut down an old server that wasn't in use. No really it wasn't in use and no users have mentioned losing anything yet, so I think I'm good. Right?

I have no idea, but would think youre good. Just in case mark you calender like you were off yesterday.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bully knew shit got real right then and essentially was pussy’ing out.

74986dab-c56c-4d1b-8de6-c99587f04aa3_text.gif

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL...I do that all the time with stuff we have deployed all over our AWS and Azure footprints. If someone actually notices I just same we must have had an issue with the CSP and power it back up.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never get a second chance to make a first impression (or start a presidential campaign) and you want to eliminate all possible variables that could impede such a launch. DeSantis should have gone with the tried-and-true low-tech approach, instead he gambled on a guy who has gutted Twitter and it failed miserably.

/It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just wait a few days before using the trebuchet to fling it into the next business park. You'll be fine.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly sometimes you have to resort to violence to fight bullies. Good for this kid!

A coworker of mine told me her 7th grade kid was being bullied, both physically and verbally*. I was amazed because this kid is a big kid, tall and solid. My coworker filled out the 'bullying report' for the school just like they told her to and said they would take care of it. Its happened since and the school did nothing so she told her son basically next time to attack one of them promising he will not get into any trouble at home. Shes told me before as a younger kid he would get mad and punch walls, so someone is going to be the one who pushes too far.

Edit - physical by face grabs(wtf?) and nut punches (cool) and verbally by being told he should kill himself (extra cool)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got into a scrap in the 7th grade (I was being mouthy) and the other kid decided enough was enough and we duked it out one day after school. He was bigger than me and the judges awarded the decision to him, but we cleared the air after that, shook hands even and there was no future problems.

/Certainly I don't condone violence as a solution in a lot of situations, but it does provide a solution at times.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A coworker of mine told me her 7th grade kid was being bullied, both physically and verbally*. I was amazed because this kid is a big kid, tall and solid. My coworker filled out the 'bullying report' for the school just like they told her to and said they would take care of it. Its happened since and the school did nothing so she told her son basically next time to attack one of them promising he will not get into any trouble at home. Shes told me before as a younger kid he would get mad and punch walls, so someone is going to be the one who pushes too far.

Edit - physical by face grabs(wtf?) and nut punches (cool) and verbally by being told he should kill himself (extra cool)

Being the only Irish kid in a school full of EYE-talians meant that I got in fights everyday for the first week of school until grade 7. Then we were all buddies the rest of the school year. Except for that @jstewismybastardson jabroni.

Status
Not open for further replies.