• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still cringe at the fact that, if a large group of people acted this way when the Polio vaccine became a thing.

I still think the major difference with polio is/was that very young children were dying and it basically got everybody on board that they needed to find a vaccine quickly. With COVID-19, it was predominately elderly people that were falling victim and it just didn't resonate the same way with people.

Obviously there were other factors at play as well, but if young kids were falling victim to COVID-19 as they were to polio, I think you see a completely different initial response.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I still cringe at the fact that, if a large group of people acted this way when the Polio vaccine became a thing.
didn't Elvis get his vaccine on television to show the masses that is was safe and a good thing to do?
I seem to recall reading about that.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the major difference with polio is/was that very young children were dying and it basically got everybody on board that they needed to find a vaccine quickly. With COVID-19, it was predominately elderly people that were falling victim and it just didn't resonate the same way with people.

Obviously there were other factors at play as well, but if young kids were falling victim to COVID-19 as they were to polio, I think you see a completely different initial response.
Why? Kids killed by guns doesn't seem to matter.

I think the difference it we have had generations of people and politicians saying you should distrust the government and/or scientists.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. "
Ronald Big Spender Union Buster Reagan

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Kids killed by guns doesn't seem to matter.

I think the difference it we have had generations of people and politicians saying you should distrust the government and/or scientists.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. "
Ronald Big Spender Union Buster Reagan

You do make a good point buddy, back in the early 50's, there was definitely more trust in the government and scientists than there is today. The fact that so many kids were impacted by polio and it certainly didn't distinguish between rich or poor or race certainly was a call to action.

The fear was well grounded. By the 1950s, polio had become one of the most serious communicable diseases among children in the United States.

In 1952 alone, nearly 60,000 children were infected with the virus; thousands were paralyzed, and more than 3,000 died. Hospitals set up special units with iron lung machines to keep polio victims alive. Rich kids as well as poor were left paralyzed.

Then in 1955, the U.S. began widespread vaccinations. By 1979, the virus had been completely eliminated across the country.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scratch that for Tim Pool I don’t need a shovel. I would gladly go to jail after beating him to a bloody pulp.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scratch that for Tim Pool I don’t need a shovel. I would gladly go to jail after beating him to a bloody pulp.

Nah, we need you around here for fun and frivolity. Tim isn't worth troubling yourself over, he's just another grifter.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, we need you around here for fun and frivolity. Tim isn't worth troubling yourself over, he's just another grifter.
Oh I know but it would be a nice relaxing stress relief. Heck maybe I could get it sanctioned so I wouldn’t get in trouble. :D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, for insights on the game of hockey, Matt Walsh is the guy to seek out...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, for insights on the game of hockey, Matt Walsh is the guy to seek out...

I got it. Let’s get a pickup hockey game us vs Tim Poole, Matt Walsh, Ben Shapiro, Nick Fuentes, Steven Crowder, Chachi, Kid Suck and Don Jr.

Finally have a reason to wear a Matt Cooke jersey.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got it. Let’s get a pickup hockey game us vs Tim Poole, Matt Walsh, Ben Shapiro, Nick Fuentes, Steven Crowder, Chachi, Kid Suck and Don Jr.

David Doel (The Rational National) is a Leafs fan, so he's got some pent-up anger to unleash on Matt Walsh lol

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will buy a Billy Smith Jersey and meet you there.

Mattola can get a Hextall jersey and come in when my knee gives out.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will buy a Billy Smith Jersey and meet you there.

Mattola can get a Hextall jersey and come in when my knee gives out.
We just need someone in the McSorley, Pronger, Avery and Hunter jerseys then we are all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.