• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t even smell rolling rock without getting nauseous
Funny my dad refused to drink Rolling Rock, Iron City and Stoney's because he knew what was in the water.

Granted he drank the likes of Old Milwaukee, Strohs and Milwaukee Best as he kidded that at least he didn't know what was in the water.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to an elementary school in a small coal mining town called Renton. It is in Plum Borough.
The coal mine was still in operation at the time and literally there was an ongoing mine fire. One of the exhaust pipes with smoke coming out of it right across the street from the playground we played on. The school has long since been demo'ed and the mine shut down, and you would think we would have come a long way since then but sadly with fracking and deregulation we are reversing a lot of what was improved upon.

Even today there are still under ground mine fires in the area (UMF -stands for that):
View attachment 321470
E
I've read about some of the ongoing mine fires in PA and the Midwest. Scary.

The area I grew up was a steel mill town, previously a real company town (company owned everything, houses, stores etc so they would pay you and you'd give it right back) and for a couple generations every time it rained everything in the area had a red tint.....I'm sure it was a healthy red tint

In the 70s the EPA did actually force some clean up, both of existing damage and of the factories themselves. I guess it helped, i never saw the red tint at least.

The mills are long gone and my brother lives about a mile from where they once were. Supposedly they had to cover the existing ground with about 10 feet of fill dirt to cover up the 100+ years of ground contamination. I'm sure it's fine.......

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, my friend tweeted me earlier about the East Palestine River reminding him about our childhood.
I laugh because we are talking about this and it is sadly true.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read about some of the ongoing mine fires in PA and the Midwest. Scary.

The area I grew up was a steel mill town, previously a real company town (company owned everything, houses, stores etc so they would pay you and you'd give it right back) and for a couple generations every time it rained everything in the area had a red tint.....I'm sure it was a healthy red tint

In the 70s the EPA did actually force some clean up, both of existing damage and of the factories themselves. I guess it helped, i never saw the red tint at least.

The mills are long gone and my brother lives about a mile from where they once were. Supposedly they had to cover the existing ground with about 10 feet of fill dirt to cover up the 100+ years of ground contamination. I'm sure it's fine.......
Oh yeah that is scary and we know all is good <sarcasm>.
Heck I wonder to this day if/when a mine shaft is going to collapse and we will start having Florida style sinkholes everywhere.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn’t take long for the extreme racists to come out against Haley.

Yep the OG Laura Ingraham I guess wants to try and stay relevant.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to an elementary school in a small coal mining town called Renton. It is in Plum Borough.
The coal mine was still in operation at the time and literally there was an ongoing mine fire. One of the exhaust pipes with smoke coming out of it right across the street from the playground we played on. The school has long since been demo'ed and the mine shut down, and you would think we would have come a long way since then but sadly with fracking and deregulation we are reversing a lot of what was improved upon.

Even today there are still under ground mine fires in the area (UMF -stands for that):
View attachment 321470
Great name for a band...Underground Mine Fire

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I grew up near a decommissioned army base with a stream running through it. There were rope swings over the river and we tried to build rafts - every time anything or anyone hit the water it looked like that....

Lucky to be alive....

As far as I know the army base probably had nothing to do with it. Hopefully. Probably mainly a paint/chemical factory up the street and drainage water from the city. Heroin, Crack etc
From where I grew up, I could see the main processing building of Edgewood Arsenal and the steady plume of smoke coming out of it. Sometimes it was grey. Sometimes black. Once in a while it was yellowish/orangeish. There were many places you could get through the fence and into the base through the woods. The good news is they "stopped" testing there when I was 5 *wink*wink*. We actually built a bicycle track in the woods there and used it for years and only got chased like 3 times. Added bonus, we had to cross the Amtrak tracks to get to the fence. Trains were up to 80+ in that section.

Next base up the road/same facility was Aberdeen Proving Ground. That was fun too. In addition to being able to walk through fence holes onto that base, occasionally there were giant explosions as they tested various ordinance. I am sure they never tested anything that was made like a mile away.

In addition to being surprised I am still alive, I am surprised I am not glowing. I owe a lot to Ryan Miller.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20200706_171326.jpg

This is the backyard of where I grew up. As kids my brother and I climbed that metal tower in the background a few times at least half way up, much to the chagrin of my mom. I'm surprised I didn't get superpowers from all the EM radiation.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny my dad refused to drink Rolling Rock, Iron City and Stoney's because he knew what was in the water.
Having gone scuba diving in the Chesapeake is a prime reason why I cannot eat seafood, especially crabs.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m very interested to see how this one plays out.

ImpoliteMajorGossamerwingedbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From where I grew up, I could see the main processing building of Edgewood Arsenal and the steady plume of smoke coming out of it. Sometimes it was grey. Sometimes black. Once in a while it was yellowish/orangeish. There were many places you could get through the fence and into the base through the woods. The good news is they "stopped" testing there when I was 5 *wink*wink*. We actually built a bicycle track in the woods there and used it for years and only got chased like 3 times. Added bonus, we had to cross the Amtrak tracks to get to the fence. Trains were up to 80+ in that section.

Next base up the road/same facility was Aberdeen Proving Ground. That was fun too. In addition to being able to walk through fence holes onto that base, occasionally there were giant explosions as they tested various ordinance. I am sure they never tested anything that was made like a mile away.

In addition to being surprised I am still alive, I am surprised I am not glowing. I owe a lot to Ryan Miller.
I did not have to worry about type of weapons or weapon waste, just industrial waste!

I just got to play in abandoned barracks, various other buildings, woods, swimming pools, polluted rivers, and three concrete hills once used to test Jeeps (locally known as the tank hills). Great place to explore when 8-10 years old.

Fort Holabird was supposedly mainly a spy school. Confirmed somewhat by a novel I read where the writer basically wrote a fictionalized account of his life. A few pages on Fort Holabird was a cool surprise. He would have been there in the mid 60s and he described "a small polluted river ran down the center of the base". lol

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having gone scuba diving in the Chesapeake is a prime reason why I cannot eat seafood, especially crabs.
I am not eating anything that lives in water. I never liked seafood except for small amounts of fish and shrimp. I can’t even do that anymore.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not eating anything that lives in water. I never liked seafood except for small amounts of fish and shrimp. I can’t even do that anymore.
And I throw up in my mouth when I hear people talk about eating catfish. Do these people know what they live in?

Also every time someone gets a lobster I like to remind them they are bottom feeders. Yeah I am that guy. :D

Sadly I do like seafood but never was a fan of fresh water fish or crab.
One of the best fish I ever had was in Maui called the Opah which is a warm blooded fish.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope in some way that this opens the door for civil actions against some of the organizations that seemed to roll out the red carpet for these dickheads.

I'm looking at you Ottawa Police.

Status
Not open for further replies.