• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying the toxic train deraliments are not a big deal, the East Palestine one might end up being huge, but I've always heard a major issue with a major pipeline would be catastrophic to the area. Maybe I am wrong or the info given to me is wrong.
Train derailments can get so much worse though.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me again how pipelines are unsafe
In a suburb of Charlotte, Colonial had a gasoline leak from a pipeline into a nature preserve in 2020.

In the immediate aftermath, they estimated 63k gallons leaked. A month layer that was 272k. A few months after that was 1.2m. Then 1.4m. Then by the time they settled in court for a paltry $5m fine (plus clean up costs), it was up to over 2m gallons.

They didn't even identify if themselves. It was, no shit, two guys on ATVs who reported the smell.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a suburb of Charlotte, Colonial had a gasoline leak from a pipeline into a nature preserve in 2020.

In the immediate aftermath, they estimated 63k gallons leaked. A month layer that was 272k. A few months after that was 1.2m. Then 1.4m. Then by the time they settled in court for a paltry $5m fine (plus clean up costs), it was up to over 2m gallons.

They didn't even identify if themselves. It was, no shit, two guys on ATVs who reported the smell.
The one natural gas leak discovered, near the house, was from kids walking through a field where the line ran through.
Worst part about it, the kids were going into that field to shoot off fireworks. :L

None of this ever made even the local news. People Natural Gas was out there taking care of it in a few days, they tend to work "quietly" and quickly to not have a PR issue.

Similar note when the home explosions happened near where I grew up. They washed their hands of it since, as they stated, this was the gas lines running from the street to the house and that is the homeowners responsibility.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many horsemen are we supposed to be looking for again?
Maybe this is God punishing DeSantis for hating gays and minorities? :noidea:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good thing she doesn't represent the largest amount of population per senate seat in the US.
Lets not forget Chuck Grassley who is the same age already registered to run again in 6 years.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike DeWine: Looks okay to me
Lol I grew up near a decommissioned army base with a stream running through it. There were rope swings over the river and we tried to build rafts - every time anything or anyone hit the water it looked like that....

Lucky to be alive....

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I grew up near a decommissioned army base with a stream running through it. There were rope swings over the river and we tried to build rafts - every time anything or anyone hit the water it looked like that....

Lucky to be alive....

All the streams we played around in as kids were orange and full of orange scum from all the waste run off from the coal mines. Like you I wonder how we are alive.

I used to kid that is how Rolling Rock beer got its distinct flavor from the orange waters of the Loyalhanna.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the streams we played around in as kids were orange and full of orange scum from all the waste run off from the coal mines. Like you I wonder how we are alive.

I used to kid that is how Rolling Rock beer got its distinct flavor from the orange waters of the Loyalhanna.

And here I thought it was the 3 ounces of skunk piss in every bottle

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as I know the army base probably had nothing to do with it. Hopefully. Probably mainly a paint/chemical factory up the street and drainage water from the city. Heroin, Crack etc

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I know the army base probably had nothing to do with it. Hopefully. Probably mainly a paint/chemical factory up the street and drainage water from the city. Heroin, Crack etc
I went to an elementary school in a small coal mining town called Renton. It is in Plum Borough.
The coal mine was still in operation at the time and literally there was an ongoing mine fire. One of the exhaust pipes with smoke coming out of it right across the street from the playground we played on. The school has long since been demo'ed and the mine shut down, and you would think we would have come a long way since then but sadly with fracking and deregulation we are reversing a lot of what was improved upon.

Even today there are still under ground mine fires in the area (UMF -stands for that):
1676605568305.png

Status
Not open for further replies.