• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk: 7 Words You Can't Say to Jack Johnson

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, the vast majority of jobs that these immigrants are taking are jobs that Americans don't want to do. Let's not let that little detail get in the way of faux outrage though.
Do Americans not want those jobs though? Or is it that employers don't want to pay higher wages so they fight for immigration to keep costs down?

Because in Canada it is absolutely the latter at the moment and that is hurting some pretty large sections of the population, chief among them young people.

And then there's that whole problem with housing a massive consistent influx of immigrants, providing services for them, ensuring they can integrate and not ghettoize and resort to criminal activity, all of which we are failing at an alarming rate.

All this so Burger King can avoid having to pay people a few dollars more per hour?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
employers don't want to pay higher wages so they fight for immigration to keep costs down?

you pay me a living wage to be a coffee slinger and Ill have a job for life man. best job I EVER had.... and I have had some cool jobs

mortician
armed guard (yes they paid me to carry a gun)
milk man (old glass bottles)

some cool stuff

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you pay me a living wage to be a coffee slinger and Ill have a job for life man. best job I EVER had.... and I have had some cool jobs

mortician
armed guard (yes they paid me to carry a gun)
milk man (old glass bottles)

some cool stuff
I mean there were definitely some lifer Tim Hortons employees back in the day. Living wage, eh, maybe on a two income household but still better than the foreign worker program abusing stale horse urine slinging hell hole that place is today.

/We had a milk man in Halifax when I was a kid and we had a bread man when I first moved to Toronto (service was run by a Portuguese bakery). Not much of a milk drinker but would gladly pay for a fresh bread delivery daily.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean there were definitely some lifer Tim Hortons employees back in the day. Living wage, eh, maybe on a two income household but still better than the foreign worker program abusing stale horse urine slinging hell hole that place is today.

/We had a milk man in Halifax when I was a kid and we had a bread man when I first moved to Toronto (service was run by a Portuguese bakery). Not much of a milk drinker but would gladly pay for a fresh bread delivery daily.

my Brothers ex wife worked at the last union KFC.. she made $20 an hour until the early 2000s.......

when I say coffee slinger I mean for a niche spot not starbucks/tim hortons (I dont want @puckhead coming at me for free shit all the time)

I managed Bennys Bagels on Broadway for a while. they were NOT union in 1998. Some employees there made $19 an hour making bagels. I was hired when the company got a little corporate and they asked me to terminate those employees by any means necessary. I did not.. and did not last 6 months because of it.

I dont think Bennys exists there anymore (the denman and davie one is also gone, I managed that one as well for a short time during training)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my Brothers ex wife worked at the last union KFC.. she made $20 an hour until the early 2000s.......

when I say coffee slinger I mean for a niche spot not starbucks/tim hortons (I dont want @puckhead coming at me for free shit all the time)

I managed Bennys Bagels on Broadway for a while. they were NOT union in 1998. Some employees there made $19 an hour making bagels. I was hired when the company got a little corporate and they asked me to terminate those employees by any means necessary. I did not.. and did not last 6 months because of it.

I dont think Bennys exists there anymore (the denman and davie one is also gone, I managed that one as well for a short time during training)
Everything followed a pattern - get rid of anything independent, then get rid of anybody who made any money, then import slave labour when you needed employees.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do Americans not want those jobs though? Or is it that employers don't want to pay higher wages so they fight for immigration to keep costs down?

Because in Canada it is absolutely the latter at the moment and that is hurting some pretty large sections of the population, chief among them young people.

And then there's that whole problem with housing a massive consistent influx of immigrants, providing services for them, ensuring they can integrate and not ghettoize and resort to criminal activity, all of which we are failing at an alarming rate.

All this so Burger King can avoid having to pay people a few dollars more per hour?

It is not only wages but also job safety. Hiring illegal immigrants they can get away with not following any of the labor laws in place. So there is no attempt made to even hire folks since they can do the above.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the case of Springfield (cats are tasty) Ohio, it was that employers couldn't find people without a criminal record/drug habit and were willing to pay to get people to move there to keep their businesses open. No one wanted to do that so they found another solution. Created the "how do we handle 20 thousand new people in our city of 60k?" problems you mention, but the trade off of businesses staying open which in turn keeps restaurants and grocery stores open, they seem to feel it was worth it until Trump and Vance stuck their noses into it.

I also read a story years ago, that I didn't save, that outlined an experiment where they went to an unemployment office in California and rounded up a bunch of people to take to a Tomato farm. They paid them 4 times what a migrant worker typically got. Only 4 came back the next day. None lasted a week. That pointed to a few problems in my mind.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7e3hggl1cktd1.png