• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches perspective on CFP, conference championship games, scheduling

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting quotes in here. Coach O, Saban and Chipper decided not to reply.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They couldn’t have picked a creepier pic of Tom Herman
7CAE9448-D049-4C60-9950-4A1C1286EA91.jpeg

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to Ferentz to say no to expanding the playoff even though his teams have finished 5th thru 8th 5 times in the last 16 years but never top 4. Classic KF lol

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny a couple conferences are not in for more uniform schedules, one in particular is really against it.
These were some quotes I really liked.

Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma: Yes. Absolutely. I'd love to see us get to a point where every league, their conference championship game is 1 vs. 2. I think that's healthier for the sport. To me if you're going to do divisions, everybody needs to do divisions. If you're not going to do divisions, everyone needs to do 1 vs. 2. That's what creates the best conference championship games and the most valuable [résumé] the committee can evaluate on somewhat of an even playing field.

David Shaw, Stanford: Those people who are worried, they don't trust football coaches. We love our guys more than anyone else and will take care of them.

Herm Edwards, Arizona State: I don't know why people would even want to be on that. It's always going to get second-guessed. They gather information, and they try to figure out the scheduling. That's hard. They can never be right. They won't ever satisfy all of the fan bases, but they get that. They do the best they can.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Harbaugh's idea. It's also the most Harbaugh thing that he already had a document detailing his plan and emailed it to the reporters. Still probably a few too many teams for me, but I maintain one of the best systems is taking the 5 conference champs.

This year that would likely put OU, Oregon, Alabama or LSU, OSU and Clemson into the playoff. But then Harbaugh's plan also gives teams in the 6-11 ranked area a chance at a playoff birth.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Harbaugh's idea. It's also the most Harbaugh thing that he already had a document detailing his plan and emailed it to the reporters. Still probably a few too many teams for me, but I maintain one of the best systems is taking the 5 conference champs.

This year that would likely put OU, Oregon, Alabama or LSU, OSU and Clemson into the playoff. But then Harbaugh's plan also gives teams in the 6-11 ranked area a chance at a playoff birth.
Yeah, I like his methodology. But I agree with you, that is too many teams.

I love the idea of the first round being early and then some of the loser could still play in bowl games. I'd go back to 11 regular seasons games as well as getting rid of the CCGs. But, I'm not an AD in need of money and money seems to be more important than anything else nowadays. Example: My Miners and Rutgers both suck. But even if you suck like Rutgers, it doesn't hurt as much when you get to cash that damn big check.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I like his methodology. But I agree with you, that is too many teams.

I love the idea of the first round being early and then some of the loser could still play in bowl games. I'd go back to 11 regular seasons games as well as getting rid of the CCGs. But, I'm not an AD in need of money and money seems to be more important than anything else nowadays. Example: My Miners and Rutgers both suck. But even if you suck like Rutgers, it doesn't hurt as much when you get to cash that damn big check.
I'm fine with the CCGs if they are required for all P5 conferences. But it also makes more sense to have 6 power conferences. The problem is the coordination a good solution would take. The CCGs, though, act as a first step in the playoffs. If every P5 conference has a championship game, and that's an auto bid into a playoff; that's essentially a 10 team playoff.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah. That's a sucky plan. Eleven teams is at least 5 too many.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with the CCGs if they are required for all P5 conferences. But it also makes more sense to have 6 power conferences. The problem is the coordination a good solution would take. The CCGs, though, act as a first step in the playoffs. If every P5 conference has a championship game, and that's an auto bid into a playoff; that's essentially a 10 team playoff.
If they are going to have CCGs, I agree with Riley. The conferences need to get rid of divisions and pair the two best teams up in their CCGs.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny the coaches that don't want expansion are largely shitty teams

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. That's a sucky plan. Eleven teams is at least 5 too many.
I agree. I think the best system involves auto-bids from the power conferences.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uhhhh....

i

Saban declined and it doesn't say anything about Day's opinion

i

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Babers stated what is probably behind their opposition to expansion.

Dino Babers, Syracuse: If it expands, I think it gives a huge advantage to the traditional powers. If you want a Cinderella team to win it one of these times, you can't have a Cinderella team going against traditional powers more than two weeks in a row. If it's three weeks, or four weeks of contests, it's going to be so physical, there's going to be so much carnage going on, that a team that doesn't have a lot of depth will never win it.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Babers stated what is probably behind their opposition to expansion.

Dino Babers, Syracuse: If it expands, I think it gives a huge advantage to the traditional powers. If you want a Cinderella team to win it one of these times, you can't have a Cinderella team going against traditional powers more than two weeks in a row. If it's three weeks, or four weeks of contests, it's going to be so physical, there's going to be so much carnage going on, that a team that doesn't have a lot of depth will never win it.

As we've seen those teams don't even make it much less make it through more games.

At 8 at least you could probably bargain for a mid major provided they hit a certain rank.

And then spare me Clemson. They handle business in the CFP but the ACC is horrible right now. Horrible.

Reactions: gob