• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches Film: Bears Game

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post and interesting stuff. Kap looked great and is obviously our future.

This pass to VD looks like a mistake to me, throwing into triple coverage. yeah, he got it but was it a good decision?

Pretty amazing that almost everyone is ready to throw Alex under the bus right away. I agree that Kap has way more physical ability and looked incredibly good. But AS had us in the SB last year w/o the two fumbles, and we likely would have won there. This year we are on track to be in great playoff position again. It just looks like an unnecessary risk to change now when Kap is so likely to make young QB mistakes. I trust Harbs for the most part, but a little worried about this move if he makes it.

Just a couple corrections to an otherwise decent post - First, Alex is not being thrown under anything, and second, it is far more accurate to say the team had AS at the threshold of a SB birth - not the other way around.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's hilarious that some people in this thread are trying to downplay the Bears' defense on Monday night, but when Alex Smith had that "great" game against the Cardinals, the Cardinals' non-existent defense had nothing to do with it. Or against Buffalo. Or against Detroit.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just a couple corrections to an otherwise decent post - First, Alex is not being thrown under anything, and second, it is far more accurate to say the team had AS at the threshold of a SB birth - not the other way around.

Okay, Vernon threw those passes to himself to beat the Saints. Got it.

I do get the basic point, Alex is generally a game manager and not a big play guy. But it worked last year and it is working this year. If the Niners were 5-4 say, and/or Alex had regressed, then no problem going with Kap. But were are in great shape with Alex (mostly) so far.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both side have a fair point in the Alex Smith vs. Kap debate. I'm personally leaning towards Alex b/c of the track record. What Kap did was refreshing, but it was only one game. I just hate dealing with small samples. At the end of the day, I'm excited see Kap start against the Saints. I'm just glad we're in a situation where we have two good qbs to choose from.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both side have a fair point in the Alex Smith vs. Kap debate. I'm personally leaning towards Alex b/c of the track record. What Kap did was refreshing, but it was only one game. I just hate dealing with small samples. At the end of the day, I'm excited see Kap start against the Saints. I'm just glad we're in a situation where we have two good qbs to choose from.

track record? You mean how he did last season, right? Because his track record is what got Kaep traded up and drafted.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
track record? You mean how he did last season, right? Because his track record is what got Kaep traded up and drafted.

Yes, I'm referring to his track record with JH. Like I said, both sides have a fair argument and I'll be content with either of them starting. I personally would go with Alex Smith(if healthy) because he's proven that he can win with JH. We're talking about a 28 game sample vs. 1 game sample.

Alex Smith wasn't a 49er when we drafted Kaep.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm referring to his track record with JH. Like I said, both sides have a fair argument and I'll be content with either of them starting. I personally would go with Alex Smith(if healthy) because he's proven that he can win with JH. We're talking about a 28 game sample vs. 1 game sample.

Alex Smith wasn't a 49er when we drafted Kaep.

So every QB has proven he can win with Jim Harbaugh, going back to UCSD.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So every QB has proven he can win with Jim Harbaugh, going back to UCSD.

Stanford records:

Jim Harbaugh (Pacific-10 Conference) (2007–2010)
2007 Harbaugh 4–8 3–6 T-7th
2008 Harbaugh 5–7 4–5 T-6th
2009 Harbaugh 8–5 6–3 T-2nd

Apparently, some QBs can post losing records under JH. 2009 was Luck's first year as starter.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stanford records:

Apparently, some QBs can post losing records under JH. 2009 was Luck's first year as starter.

How were they pre-Harbaugh?

1-11 you say? Oh.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford records:

I didn't say Harbaugh QBs can't lose. I said he's won with all of his QBs. Harbaugh took over a 1-11 Stanford team and turned them around with Tavita Pritchard and T.C. Ostrander as his QBs. He helped turn Andrew Luck into the #1 overall pick. He won with Josh Johnson and helped turn him into a draftable QB.

Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, but Alex Smith has become overrated. Especially on this board.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be funny to you, but it doesn't make it untrue.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh has turned the entire team around. Our defense per-Harbaugh was decent but not great, it is now great. Smith was average in 09 and 10 and is now good - no matter what the haters say, and the offense as a whole is now good not bad.

I think arsenal's original point that the Niners have been winning with Smith is a valid point when discussing a change at the position. If Kaepernick steals the job it won't be because Smith has been bad - he was on pace for a 24 TD 10 INT season before he got hurt (I think we all would have taken that at the beginning of the year) - it'll be because Kaepernick was amazing. Which all of us would be excited about, I think, I know I would. If he flames out I'm definitely good rolling with Smith - I lean towards sticking with him anyway - but I don't mind giving Kap another start to see what transpires.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harbaugh has turned the entire team around. Our defense per-Harbaugh was decent but not great, it is now great. Smith was average in 09 and 10 and is now good - no matter what the haters say, and the offense as a whole is now good not bad.

I think arsenal's original point that the Niners have been winning with Smith is a valid point when discussing a change at the position. If Kaepernick steals the job it won't be because Smith has been bad - he was on pace for a 24 TD 10 INT season before he got hurt (I think we all would have taken that at the beginning of the year) - it'll be because Kaepernick was amazing. Which all of us would be excited about, I think, I know I would. If he flames out I'm definitely good rolling with Smith - I lean towards sticking with him anyway - but I don't mind giving Kap another start to see what transpires.

You're right, it won't be because Smith has been bad. However, I hope no one ever says about me "he wasn't bad." If Kaep replaces Smith it will be because he wasn't good enough. There are too many things Smith has not shown either an ability or a willingness to do that restricts what the offense can do.

Kaep has the ability to do many of those things. Does he have the willingness? It's too early to say for certain, but he showed the willingness to take chances with some big throws Monday night.

Are there things Smith is capable of doing that Kaep is either unwilling or unable to do? Possibly. If there are, it's likely stuff along the lines of "take what the defense gives you." We don't know. If there are, then we have to decide on what is better for the team

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it's not about anyone being haters on Smith, it's about people seeing obviously the same thing that the staff saw that promted the qb change.

I haven't seen one person on here hate on Smith (calling him terrible, etc) in the last two seasons. I see people saying that it would be hard to win a sb with Smith as the qb, or things like I was saying about forget resigning him and just go with the cheaper, more talented Kaep in the 1st place.

I wouldn't call that hating, I'd call it a good idea.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honest question: what were the fewest number of game starts for a SB QB or SB winning QB? I remember Marino getting their his rookie year I think where he got slaughtered by our Niners. With one start under his belt and six games left, if Kap got to the SB that would be his 10th start of his career.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are pretty serious on here....not one comment on the funniest game preview ever? :pout:

I liked it man, I liked it. But yeah, we're all frothin' at the mouth right about now. We want #6 very badly...

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question: what were the fewest number of game starts for a SB QB or SB winning QB? I remember Marino getting their his rookie year I think where he got slaughtered by our Niners. With one start under his belt and six games left, if Kap got to the SB that would be his 10th start of his career.

Probably Hostleter I would guess.

Last edited by a moderator: