• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Saban wasn't that great...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I did was respond to your comment. Feel free to list all diamond in the rough recruits Saban has taken from unknown to a high NFL draft pick at Bama. The guys being drafted lately seem to be overwhelmingly 5 star and top 100 recruits.

It just emphasizes what I've said repeatedly. Great recruiter. The most talented team in CFB by a landslide. Very good coach, but when given the advantages the SEC provides, he is great.

This past year -- Alabama had 23 5 star recruits (or roughly 25% of their scholarship players). The other 3 teams in the CFP had 10 COMBINED.

Every year Bama has, by far, the most talent. The fact they have only won 1 of 3 CFP's is a laughable.

Mark Ingram was a 3 star recruit...out of Michigan, who went on to win the Heisman, drafted in the 1st round of the NFL and has made it to the Pro Bowl in the NFL.

And btw, a lot of times recruits are 3 and 4 stars before Alabama offers them, and then as a result of Alabama offering, more schools start offering/looking at them and their rankings increase over time. Some people complain about it.

But in reality, you are trying to make an exact science out of 3rd party ratings, of which give very little actual difference between the top players. You don't see the same rankings in every service, which is why the composite is most widely used.

A 5-star recruit is just a top50 player. But such a ranking is only good for quick and easy reference, it doesn't really tell the true story. Is the 51st player somehow just way worse than the 50th player? No, but of course with your ignorant way of saying "This many 5 stars" it is, which is why you are a fucking idiot.

On 24/7 right now:

#1 player has a score of .9998
#50 player has a score of .9700
#51 player has a score of .9699

According to you, #50 player is somehow so much magically better than he counts and #51 doesn't.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it could be like taking over a Stanford team, that yes, was 1-11, the season prior, but who had averaged almost 5 wins a season for the 10 years prior to that and going 4-8, then 5-7, then 8-5, which incidentally averages out to less than 6 wins a year...then finally going 12-1, with the #1 draft choice, finishing 2nd in your conference and bolting for greener pastures...only to see your coordinator get promoted to your job and eclipse everything you accomplished there.

Damn, Harbaugh sounds a lot like Saban...minus the 5 championships and 3 CFB playoff appearances that is.

:lol: At you trying to compare MSU and Stanford. Stanford was beyond terrible. Offense ranked 118th out of 119 teams in CFB. Defense ranked 108th out of 119 teams, the year before he took over.

And Stanford's coordinator still hasn't finished with a record better than 12-1. He has lost at least 2 games every year as coach. That being said, he has shown, after working 6 years under Harbaugh at two different stops -- Harbaugh changed the culture of the program and they continue to win.

What Saban did at MSU was a one year wonder. Team won 5, 6, 6 three years before, won 6, 5, 7 and 6 in Saban's 1st 4 years, won 9, and back to the norm 5, 7, 4.

That isn't building a program. That is the bounces going your way for one year. It is why I've said from the get, he could never do what Dantonio has done at MSU. He is great when he has the best players and the most talent by far. He isn't when he has to coach up players (see 0-3 in bowl games at MSU losing by an avg of 21 ppg and a losing record in the NFL)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Ingram was a 3 star recruit...out of Michigan, who went on to win the Heisman, drafted in the 1st round of the NFL and has made it to the Pro Bowl in the NFL.

And btw, a lot of times recruits are 3 and 4 stars before Alabama offers them, and then as a result of Alabama offering, more schools start offering/looking at them and their rankings increase over time. Some people complain about it.

But in reality, you are trying to make an exact science out of 3rd party ratings, of which give very little actual difference between the top players. You don't see the same rankings in every service, which is why the composite is most widely used.

A 5-star recruit is just a top50 player. But such a ranking is only good for quick and easy reference, it doesn't really tell the true story. Is the 51st player somehow just way worse than the 50th player? No, but of course with your ignorant way of saying "This many 5 stars" it is, which is why you are a fucking idiot.

On 24/7 right now:

#1 player has a score of .9998
#50 player has a score of .9700
#51 player has a score of .9699

According to you, #50 player is somehow so much magically better than he counts and #51 doesn't.

:lol: at posting one player. Congrats. :L

FYI on the same 247 page -- the 28th ranked player and the 322nd ranked player are both '4 star recruits' right now.

Doesn't take much intelligence to figure out there is a HUGE difference between two players who are both 4 star recruits.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the argument is here.
Here's my takeaways.

Saban = Is a great coach because of what he has accomplished.
Harbaugh = Has yet to win something.

Did I miss anything??

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my takeaways.

Did I miss anything??
According to the OP and TrustMe, the only reason Saban is good is because of Alabama and don't pay attention to that national title at LSU.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FYI on the same 247 page -- the 28th ranked player and the 322nd ranked player are both '4 star recruits' right now.

Doesn't take much intelligence to figure out there is a HUGE difference between two players who are both 4 star recruits.

They have scores.

28th: 0.9831
322nd: 0.8904

So, there is a difference in scores of .0927.

Less than 10% difference in their scores.

You are stupid if you don't think they are all highly rated.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have scores.

28th: 0.9831
322nd: 0.8904

So, there is a difference in scores of .0927.

Less than 10% difference in their scores.

You are stupid if you don't think they are all highly rated.

No, you are stupid if you don't think there is a huge difference between the 28th ranked player and the 320th ranked player.

Let me guess. There is no difference in a first round pick in the NFL and a 7th round pick because they are both NFL draft picks. :L

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the OP and TrustMe, the only reason Saban is good is because of Alabama and don't pay attention to that national title at LSU.

I didn't say Bama. I said the SEC.

I also said he is a very good coach, but what makes him great is the SEC

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my takeaways.

Did I miss anything??

How dare you say Jimmy Jam hasn't won anything!? Did you know he played in the NFL? Did you know he did something that nobody cares about on the FCS level w/ San Diego? Did you know Jimmy Jam had success as an NFL coach & Saban didn't? Did you know that Jimmy duh Great has yet to beat his main rival, win his division, win his conference, win multiple big time bowl games & doesn't have a Natty? Although just completely ignore that last sentence & understand once & for all that that asshole in ann arbor's CFB coaching resume while incomplete doesn't in any way shape or form take away from his greatness.

Jimmy rulz America dammit...

4414b9465ab83a8e83f6ae8bebd8ab38.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you are stupid if you don't think there is a huge difference between the 28th ranked player and the 320th ranked player.

Let me guess. There is no difference in a first round pick in the NFL and a 7th round pick because they are both NFL draft picks. :L

Are you trying to compare blue chip college recruits to NFL draft picks?

:lol:

Fucking Michigan fan trying to say 4 star recruits are like 7th round draft picks who may never play a game.

Do you understand ratios?

As in the ratio of new players that appear on a college football team every year vs the number of players that appear on an NFL team?

53 total players on an NFL team, and college teams bring in about 25 new players every single year - about HALF an NFL roster. 7 picks an NFL team gets every year.

Or the number of NFL teams vs even just P5 teams? 32 NFL teams vs I dunno, 60-70.

To compare it to a NFL 7th round pick would be like comparing 2 star college players. 4 and 5 star players would be more equivalent to the 1st round and 2nd round picks.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I did was respond to your comment. Feel free to list all diamond in the rough recruits Saban has taken from unknown to a high NFL draft pick at Bama. The guys being drafted lately seem to be overwhelmingly 5 star and top 100 recruits.

It just emphasizes what I've said repeatedly. Great recruiter. The most talented team in CFB by a landslide. Very good coach, but when given the advantages the SEC provides, he is great.

This past year -- Alabama had 23 5 star recruits (or roughly 25% of their scholarship players). The other 3 teams in the CFP had 10 COMBINED.

Every year Bama has, by far, the most talent. The fact they have only won 1 of 3 CFP's is a laughable.
fail2.gif

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You made the comment about Bama recruits going to the NFL and they weren't all 5 star guys -- I just named the guys from the last year or two. If there was a walk on or 2 star guy Saban brought in and developed into a high NFL pick. List them.

And I agree wholeheartedly on recruiting being a huge reason for Bama's success. It is EXACTLY why I've said repeatedly. Very good coach, but a great coach in the SEC. Also the same reason I said he couldn't do at MSU what Dantonio has done -- his recruiting classes wouldn't come near the talent he gets at Bama.
15819686729_2d87fb4464_o.gif

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to compare blue chip college recruits to NFL draft picks?

:lol:

Fucking Michigan fan trying to say 4 star recruits are like 7th round draft picks who may never play a game.

Do you understand ratios?

As in the ratio of new players that appear on a college football team every year vs the number of players that appear on an NFL team?

53 total players on an NFL team, and college teams bring in about 25 new players every single year - about HALF an NFL roster. 7 picks an NFL team gets every year.

Or the number of NFL teams vs even just P5 teams? 32 NFL teams vs I dunno, 60-70.

To compare it to a NFL 7th round pick would be like comparing 2 star college players. 4 and 5 star players would be more equivalent to the 1st round and 2nd round picks.

What does roster size have to do with anything? Like HS recruits, College players leaving for the NFL go thru the same hoops the HS kids went thru and even more so, as teams are paying millions of dollars to them. They put out dozens of top 20, top 50, top 100 etc lists.

Using your logic that a grade of 98 (28th) and a grade of 88 (322nd) have little difference, then explain how a first round pick (top 32) is different than a 7th round pick (top 220)?

Last edited:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does roster size have to do with anything? Like HS recruits, College players leaving for the NFL go thru the same hoops the HS kids went thru and even more so, as teams are paying millions of dollars to them. They put out dozens of top 20, top 50, top 100 etc lists.

Using your logic that a grade of 98 (28th) and a grade of 88 (322nd) have little difference, then explain how a first round pick (top 32) is different than a 7th round pick (top 220)?

I just fucking did dipshit.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just fucking did dipshit.

What does roster size and turnover have to do with the quality of a recruit or draft pick? It has absolutely nothing to do with it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does roster size and turnover have to do with the quality of a recruit or draft pick? It has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Let me know if you ever figure it out.