• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Saban wasn't that great...

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that even open for debate? Bill Snyder does more with less than most programs on the regular.

I wonder sometimes though if he could get some of these coddled 5 stars to buy in to what he is selling. Seems like Snyder ball might be a little too Spartan-like for some of these Cinderellas. You might need to be a little hungrier to really be able to make it in his program.
Good question. Don't really know because I don't think he's ever had any 5* types to my knowledge. It is as if he is resigned to the fact they ain't comin' to Manhattan, KS so we really don't know. I'd think some could but the majority that like the glitz/glitter diva stuff probably wouldn't mesh too well with him.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. Don't really know because I don't think he's ever had any 5* types to my knowledge. It is as if he is resigned to the fact they ain't comin' to Manhattan, KS so we really don't know. I'd think some could but the majority that like the glitz/glitter diva stuff probably wouldn't mesh too well with him.

Yeah probably not, I think Snyder likes the kids that have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder, it's easier to motivate a kid that has something to prove. There is definitely no quit in a Snyder team. College football will be worse of when he leaves.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is NO COMPARISON when talking about elite talent between the state of Michigan and the state of Alabama. The fact Rainbowbino posted how Alabama 'only' signed 14 5 star recruits from the state of Alabama tells me how out of touch with reality Bama fans are. They literally think that is the norm. I listed all the 5 star recruits from the state of Michigan from 2007-2016.

Do you understand that talent is relative when using terms like "elite"?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder had a transfer from Miami, think his name was Bryce brown. But I believe he was from Kansas and his brother was on the team so it worked out.

The thing that harms Snyder recruiting wise is location. Manhattan Kansas has got to be extremely hard to get kids to come to outta high school. Hence all his juco kids he signs.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit you are one dense motherfucker, the one year aberration for Stanford is the year before he took over...you can claim otherwise, but they really only sucked the one year, and they were really only good the one year while he was there...when Harbaugh had the #1 Draft pick at QB. As for Shaw, he has equaled Harbaugh conference mark multiple times and he has done it in a PAC-12 that was much more competitive that it was during Harbaugh's time there. IMO Shaw>>>>>Harbaugh and it isn't close.

LOL, he could never do what Dantonio did, but he is the greatest recruiter of all time...lol, do you ever listen to yourself.

Are you seriously trying to tell us that Dantonio is so much better as a coach than Saban, that Saban would not be able to replicate Dantonio's success, despite your admission that Saban is the greatest recruiter of all time.

If Harbaugh ever wins 12 games while at Michigan, that will be the real "bounces going your way for one year". I laugh at your coach losing 3 games despite having at least 11 draft picks on his roster and I laugh at your blaming that all on poor quarterback play. LOL, have you seen some of the players we have won NC's with at the quarterback position. Face it, your coach has never won anything of significance at the college level, and the jury is still out on whether he ever will, I doubt he ever wins a B1G title, let alone a NC before he bolts with his tail between his khaki clad legs.

It is beyond humorous hearing Bama fans call someone dense. Yes, 1-11 was an abberation. They weren't 16-40 in the previous 5 seasons with win totals of 5, 4, 4, 2 and 1. :lol:

Saban was no different than George Perles. Perles took over a 2-9 team and won 33 games with a 9 win season in his first 5 years. Saban took over 6-6 team and won 34 with a 9 win season in 5 years. The difference, Perles actually won a big ten title in year 5. Dantonio took over a 4-8 team and won 44 games in his 1st 5 years. What Dantonio did that Saban couldn't do, other than win 10 more games and actually win a bowl game -- he also won a division title.

Saban was just another coach in the B1G. At MSU, even with as good of a recruiter as he is -- he was at a basketball school and in a state where they are 2nd choice to UM. Hence the reason I said, he couldn't do what Dantonio has done because he'd never come near the type of classes he pulls in SEC country.

And Dantonio has proven, no one is better at finding little to unknown recruits and turning them into NFL talent. Trey Waynes, Jack Conklin, Le'Veon Bell, Darqueze Dennard, Connor Cook, Kirk Cousins, Jeremy Langford, etc. The list goes on and it includes walk ons, 2 star recruits, guys whose only D1 offer was to MSU and he develops s them into NFL talent.

THAT is developing talent, IMO. At Bama, the guys they are bringing in are already massively talented. What Saban is great at is convince the next top recruit to wait his turn or take limited snaps before becoming a starter. He is great at getting all that talent on the same page.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is beyond humorous hearing Bama fans call someone dense. Yes, 1-11 was an abberation. They weren't 16-40 in the previous 5 seasons with win totals of 5, 4, 4, 2 and 1. :lol:

Saban was no different than George Perles. Perles took over a 2-9 team and won 33 games with a 9 win season in his first 5 years. Saban took over 6-6 team and won 34 with a 9 win season in 5 years. The difference, Perles actually won a big ten title in year 5. Dantonio took over a 4-8 team and won 44 games in his 1st 5 years. What Dantonio did that Saban couldn't do, other than win 10 more games and actually win a bowl game -- he also won a division title.

Saban was just another coach in the B1G. At MSU, even with as good of a recruiter as he is -- he was at a basketball school and in a state where they are 2nd choice to UM. Hence the reason I said, he couldn't do what Dantonio has done because he'd never come near the type of classes he pulls in SEC country.

And Dantonio has proven, no one is better at finding little to unknown recruits and turning them into NFL talent. Trey Waynes, Jack Conklin, Le'Veon Bell, Darqueze Dennard, Connor Cook, Kirk Cousins, Jeremy Langford, etc. The list goes on and it includes walk ons, 2 star recruits, guys whose only D1 offer was to MSU and he develops s them into NFL talent.

THAT is developing talent, IMO. At Bama, the guys they are bringing in are already massively talented. What Saban is great at is convince the next top recruit to wait his turn or take limited snaps before becoming a starter. He is great at getting all that talent on the same page.

So, we've established two things... 1. Based on your analysis you believe Dantonio is a better coach than Jimmy Jam as well, because clearly he has done a host of things that Jimmy Jam can only dream about and 2. You're a moron.

I have no doubt that Dantonio is a better than average coach and good at developing talent, but if you think 5 stars just spend 2 years on the bench at Alabama and start for a year then off to the NFL, you are a bigger fool than I already think you are.

FYI...from 96-2000...which would be a year after he got there and a year after he left, to reflect recruiting and talent development, MSU had 17 players drafted...Dantonio had 11 over a similar span, and in fact has not had more than 16 in any 5 year span he has coached at MSU.

OK, we are done here. I'm sure in your own little echo chamber you are thought of as brilliant, but out here in the real world you could use a little Proverbs 17:28.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about since Saban has been there?
How about ranking of recruiting classes (better HS players) since Sabans been there. Who cares about the 50s and 60s and 70s

You miss the big picture. Before Saban the margin was even greater and Michigan has only 1 split title since 1948 to show for it all.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder had a transfer from Miami, think his name was Bryce brown. But I believe he was from Kansas and his brother was on the team so it worked out.

The thing that harms Snyder recruiting wise is location. Manhattan Kansas has got to be extremely hard to get kids to come to outta high school. Hence all his juco kids he signs.
He was a originally a Miami commit but actually signed and played for Tennessee. He was the big Kiffin landed in his first recruiting class.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we've established two things... 1. Based on your analysis you believe Dantonio is a better coach than Jimmy Jam as well, because clearly he has done a host of things that Jimmy Jam can only dream about and 2. You're a moron.

I have no doubt that Dantonio is a better than average coach and good at developing talent, but if you think 5 stars just spend 2 years on the bench at Alabama and start for a year then off to the NFL, you are a bigger fool than I already think you are.

FYI...from 96-2000...which would be a year after he got there and a year after he left, to reflect recruiting and talent development, MSU had 17 players drafted...Dantonio had 11 over a similar span, and in fact has not had more than 16 in any 5 year span he has coached at MSU.

OK, we are done here. I'm sure in your own little echo chamber you are thought of as brilliant, but out here in the real world you could use a little Proverbs 17:28.

:lol: FYI -- Bama fans aren't very good at counting. The first 5 year span I looked at for Dantonio, 2012-2016, MSU had 19 players drafted.

And I see you ignored that Perles and Dantonio, both did more in their first 5 year at MSU than Saban:
Perles won a conference title and a Rose Bowl
Dantonio won 1 outright division title and one shared title
Saban won.........nothing. Not even a bowl game.

As I've said repeatedly. He is very good coach, but what makes him great is he is the best recruiter in CFB and the SEC has, by far, the best recruiting footprint.

Those saying -- if he is the best recruiter, how can you say he couldn't do what Dantonio has done? It is quite simple -- there is NO CHANCE he could pull in the type of classes at MSU he could at Blue blood schools who give you a blank check to do as you please.

He wouldn't have a home state that'd produces 5 star recruits every year, those years it may, he'd have to hope it is from one of the few areas in Michigan considered MSU territory or he wouldn't get them. The state with, by far, the most talent in the B1G is Ohio. Good luck trying to pull top recruits from Ohio, who grew up living and breathing OSU football. 2 guys UM had drafted this past year -- Jake Butt and Taco Charlton only came to UM because OSU didn't offer them.

Lastly, if you don't think Alabama is, by far, the best program because they have, by far, the most talent -- you are a fool.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Michigan fans are embarrassed by you.
'Dude' that really hurts coming from the Alabama, Chicago Cubs fan. Maybe add in Golden State this year to complete the bandwagon trifecta. :lol:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Dude' that really hurts coming from the Alabama, Chicago Cubs fan. Maybe add in Golden State this year to complete the bandwagon trifecta. :lol:

Don't forget. All the Bama Bama Bama from him and he's never even seen them play. lol

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I want to inject myself into this conversation, but I think it needs to be said anyway. And before I do, I think Dantonio is a great coach.

In 4 of Dantonio's 5 best seasons(2010, 2011, 2013, 2014) he beat a total of 3 ranked teams during the regular season. In 2010, 27% of the conference finished ranked(including Ohio State even though it's vacated). In 2011, 33% of the conference finished ranked. In 2013, 25% of the conference finished ranked. In 2014, 21% of the conference finished ranked. Dantonio was great when the conference was historically as worse as it's ever been. With that said, I do give him props for navigating through a very difficult schedule in 2015 and making the CFP.

In 1999 Saban beat a total of 4 ranked teams during the regular season. In 1999, 64% of the conference finished ranked.

My point is Saban had to navigate in a time when the B1G was much better than what it was when Dantonio had to navigate through it.

Saying Saban couldn't do what Dantonio has done is simply being short minded and not looking at all the facts. Hell he beat more ranked teams in 1999 than Dantonio did in those 4 seasons during the regular season.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol: @ your butthurt.

Well I have been to a Golden State game, and they were one of the worst teams in basketball at the time.

So according to some that make me a super Golden State fan.

But, I'm a Chicago Bulls fan. And since you are wondering, I'm a Bears fan. Even though I've never seen either of them play.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget. All the Bama Bama Bama from him and he's never even seen them play. lol

I'll never go to a game just so I can watch you cry from your high horse.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never go to a game just so I can watch you cry from your high horse.
Did you say horse?

Hector_at_Stanford_Game.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. lol. I can sleep now. But seriously you should go one of these days.

I'd rather watch from the best seat in the house - the TV.

I've been to many NFL games, it sucks and I spend most of the game watching the jumbotron anyway.