• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clutchest QBs

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you didn't want a cowboy QB on the list, thus the 100 starts and current QB requirement.
If it makes you happy

Troy Aiknan- 15/86 for a .174 win %>

That's good for last place on this list . I'll add him for you

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
besides....the number of times is greater than the percentage but that woulda put Brees ahead of your boy which is more your agenda here than anything cowboy related

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw an interesting stat about Rodgers vs Brady as it pertained to how often they led their teams to 4th quarter comeback wins so it piqued my interest to see how all long time NFL starters stacked up .

Basically I limited the search to guys playing QB currently who have 100+ starts in the league and how often they win after trailing in the fourth . Results.

1. Tom Brady- Brady's teams have trailed in the 4Q 95 times in his career . He has won 35 of those 95 for a .368 win %

2. Russell Wilson - 18/55 for a .327 win %

3. Ben Roethlisberger - 31/102 for a 303 win %

4. Matt Ryan- 28/102 for a .274 win %

5. Andy Dalton- 20/73 for a .273 win %

6. Matt Stafford - 28/103 for a .271 win %

7. Drew Brees- 35/144 for a .243 win %

8. Phillip Rivers- 26/118 for a .220 win %

9. Joe Flacco- 18/88 for a .204 win %

10. Aaron Rodgers- 14/72 for a .194 win %

11. Eli Manning - 27/143 for a .188 win %

Pretty interesting

Yea but give me AR over everyone on that list as my qb except for Brady and I'd toss a coin for that one....Brady would have to have BB with him to win that one for me...
Taking nothing away from him, his career win / loss record speaks louder than any other stat IMO....

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's something to that but every QB will trail a high % of games in the 4Q regardless . The league is set up for parity . Even the greatest QBs will trail at least 1/3 of their games in the 4Q. Regardless this stat simply shows you how they perform when trailing . No stat is all encompassing .
The % is cool, I guess. But the announcers seem to mention the number of 4th quarter comebacks more. To me, that tells me that the QB fucked up the first 3 quarters.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, this doesn't control for margin in the 4th quarter? Granted, if you're down 28 you probably had a hand in that, but...

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea but give me AR over everyone on that list as my qb except for Brady and I'd toss a coin for that one....Brady would have to have BB with him to win that one for me...
Taking nothing away from him, his career win / loss record speaks louder than any other stat IMO....

Coaches coach and QB's have to make the throw. You know BB's record w/o TB and how he started off 5-13 with Franchise QB Bledsoe who already was in a SB few years back. 6-9 vs AFCE .500 record and 1 playoff in 8 years as HC . Lets take this weeks opponent the Buffalo Bills. BB with Brady is 30-3 4-3 w/o TB. Some QB's have ice in veins and some fold once they get rattled. Not taking anything away from BB because I don't think Brady would have been to many SB's w.o BB and vice versa. Bledsoe doesn't go down, I doubt BB is still with NE

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Foles is the clutchest QB not on the list. Captain obvious, I know.

Great list though.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches coach and QB's have to make the throw. You know BB's record w/o TB and how he started off 5-13 with Franchise QB Bledsoe who already was in a SB few years back. 6-9 vs AFCE .500 record and 1 playoff in 8 years as HC . Lets take this weeks opponent the Buffalo Bills. BB with Brady is 30-3 4-3 w/o TB. Some QB's have ice in veins and some fold once they get rattled. Not taking anything away from BB because I don't think Brady would have been to many SB's w.o BB and vice versa. Bledsoe doesn't go down, I doubt BB is still with NE

Well like I said sonny the win / loss record is what really matters in the end....BB and Brady are the perfect storm, BB's failure before him obviously was not just a qb, he probably didn't have control of the other teams like NE, that's what his mentor (Parcells) used to complain about and he did draft Brady....He will cheat you in a flash but he is the best HC since Bill Walsh IMO....

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well like I said sonny the win / loss record is what really matters in the end....BB and Brady are the perfect storm, BB's failure before him obviously was not just a qb, he probably didn't have control of the other teams like NE, that's what his mentor (Parcells) used to complain about and he did draft Brady....He will cheat you in a flash but he is the best HC since Bill Walsh IMO....

I agree to most of it but he had control of NE and went 5-13 Bledsoe goes down , team is 0-2 and they go and win the SB that year, First off how many 0-2 teams win a SB but then in 08 after going 18-1, they miss the playoffs w/o Brady. Brady split his time in Michigan and I remember watching the Orange Bowl vs Bama. He overcame 2 14 pt deficits, threw 4tds and almost 400 yards and won, guy has ice in his veins and doesn't not get rattled or panic.

Harbaugh has been in Balt for many years, why did they start off 4-5 with Flacco heading nowhere and Lamar takes the same coached team, and goes 6-1 and team goes to playoffs, same coach but diff QB?. Obrien hasn't win shit in Houston but looks decent when Warson is under center. Is it Carroll or Wilson for success in Seattle. Pats have 3 gems in Dante Scarnecchia, Ernie Davis the genius and McDaniels, great OC but not HC. Did Rodgers go 0-4 on 1 yard line or throw a pick in EZ or was it the new coach, would they have won if McCarthy was there? If BB remains when Brady retires in a year or so, we will see how he does

Last edited:

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to most of it but he had control of NE and went 5-13 Bledsoe goes down , team is 0-2 and they go and win the SB that year, First off how many 0-2 teams win a SB but then in 08 after going 18-1, they miss the playoffs w/o Brady. Brady split his time in Michigan and I remember watching the Orange Bowl vs Bama. He overcame 2 14 pt deficits, threw 4tds and almost 400 yards and won, guy has ice in his veins and doesn't not get rattle or panic.

Harbaugh has been in Balt for many years, why did they start of 4-5 with Flacco heading nowhere and Lamar takes the same coached team, and goes 6-1 and team goes to playoffs, same coach but diff QB. Obrien hasn't win shit in Houston but looks decent when Wilson is under center. Is it Carroll or Wilson for success in Seattle. Pats have 3 gems in Dante Scarnecchia, Ernie Davis the genius and McDaniels, great OC but not HC. Did Rodgers go 0-4 on 1 yard line or throw a pick in EZ or was it the new coach, would they have won if McCarthy was there? If BB remains when Brady retires in a year or so, we will see how he does
I just wanted to chime in that it was crazy that they didn’t make the playoffs that year without Brady cuz they went 11-5

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to chime in that it was crazy that they didn’t make the playoffs that year without Brady cuz they went 11-5

He has a losing record vs the mighty AFCE , that team had a weak schedule but scored 200 pts less less than the 07 team team, with Moss still there

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to most of it but he had control of NE and went 5-13 Bledsoe goes down , team is 0-2 and they go and win the SB that year, First off how many 0-2 teams win a SB but then in 08 after going 18-1, they miss the playoffs w/o Brady. Brady split his time in Michigan and I remember watching the Orange Bowl vs Bama. He overcame 2 14 pt deficits, threw 4tds and almost 400 yards and won, guy has ice in his veins and doesn't not get rattled or panic.

Harbaugh has been in Balt for many years, why did they start off 4-5 with Flacco heading nowhere and Lamar takes the same coached team, and goes 6-1 and team goes to playoffs, same coach but diff QB?. Obrien hasn't win shit in Houston but looks decent when Warson is under center. Is it Carroll or Wilson for success in Seattle. Pats have 3 gems in Dante Scarnecchia, Ernie Davis the genius and McDaniels, great OC but not HC. Did Rodgers go 0-4 on 1 yard line or throw a pick in EZ or was it the new coach, would they have won if McCarthy was there? If BB remains when Brady retires in a year or so, we will see how he does

They went 11-5 with a qb who's name I can't even remember but he was a flop everywhere else he played after that....AR threw a td the receiver dropped in the endzone and the pic was off of a deflection that was caused by a PI that wasn't called...AR is a winner too but he doesn't have the luxury of BB and McDaniels....
I've seen Brady rattled several times but he is a closer for sure...It's never over til the clock hits all zeros for him....

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went 11-5 with a qb who's name I can't even remember but he was a flop everywhere else he played after that....AR threw a td the receiver dropped in the endzone and the pic was off of a deflection that was caused by a PI that wasn't called...AR is a winner too but he doesn't have the luxury of BB and McDaniels....
I've seen Brady rattled several times but he is a closer for sure...It's never over til the clock hits all zeros for him....

Cassell went 10-5 as a starter in NE and 2 years later went 10-5 in KC and they made the playoffs.

BB scored 200 points less in 08, some teams only score 200 pts in a season. Why does BB struggle vs the AFCE? When any elite QB goes down, coaching can't make up for it

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw an interesting stat about Rodgers vs Brady as it pertained to how often they led their teams to 4th quarter comeback wins so it piqued my interest to see how all long time NFL starters stacked up .

Basically I limited the search to guys playing QB currently who have 100+ starts in the league and how often they win after trailing in the fourth . Results.

1. Tom Brady- Brady's teams have trailed in the 4Q 95 times in his career . He has won 35 of those 95 for a .368 win %

2. Russell Wilson - 18/55 for a .327 win %

3. Ben Roethlisberger - 31/102 for a 303 win %

4. Matt Ryan- 28/102 for a .274 win %

5. Andy Dalton- 20/73 for a .273 win %

6. Matt Stafford - 28/103 for a .271 win %

7. Drew Brees- 35/144 for a .243 win %

8. Phillip Rivers- 26/118 for a .220 win %

9. Joe Flacco- 18/88 for a .204 win %

10. Aaron Rodgers- 14/72 for a .194 win %

11. Eli Manning - 27/143 for a .188 win %

Pretty interesting
if I may critique. When using percentages, you shouldnt use a min. games started. You should use a min. of times in a 4th qtr scenario.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if I may critique. When using percentages, you shouldnt use a min. games started. You should use a min. of times in a 4th qtr scenario.
That's reasonable . Although to get a good sample size you probably need at least 50 such games then ( imo ) although a few less wouldn't be awful

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's reasonable . Although to get a good sample size you probably need at least 50 such games then ( imo ) although a few less wouldn't be awful
Another thing I think I noticed. Are you getting your pct. from 4th Qtr come backs from total wins? Because then you are saying a QB sucks at 4th Qtr comebacks because they are playing with a lead.

To see a true pct. it should be comebacks from the opportunity for the comeback. Because I am pretty sure all those pcts. should be much higher. or none of them would keep their jobs.

You want to know why players like Aikman & Rodgers have a poor pct. under your perimeters. They were usually leading in the 4th qtr. So they would have more wins & less opportunity for a comeback. bringing the pct. down, using your set up here.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I think I noticed. Are you getting your pct. from 4th Qtr come backs from total wins? Because then you are saying a QB sucks at 4th Qtr comebacks because they are playing with a lead.

To see a true pct. it should be comebacks from the opportunity for the comeback. Because I am pretty sure all those pcts. should be much higher. or none of them would keep their jobs.

You want to know why players like Aikman & Rodgers have a poor pct. under your perimeters. They were usually leading in the 4th qtr. So they would have more wins & less opportunity for a comeback. bringing the pct. down, using your set up here.
No I'm adding a QBs total losses to their 4th quarter comebacks and then doing the math ( as those would've been the only games they trailed in the 4Q).

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I'm adding a QBs total losses to their 4th quarter comebacks and then doing the math ( as those would've been the only games they trailed in the 4Q).
Hmm....
I used Matt Ryan who has a total of 102 wins & used his 28 total 4QCBs & got your same percentage.

Now if you were using his 28 comebacks from dont know how many possible he had but lets just say 52 as an example, that would be the accurate pct. of comebacks.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

Blank so-and-so made such and such percentage of 4th quarter comebacks.

That's not "clutch".

People who equate being "clutch" as having a lot of comebacks.

Those people don't get it.

It's not about stats. It's about moments.

Scenario 1: a quarterback brings his 3-6 team from behind to beat a 2-8 team.

Scenario 2: Roger Staubach, with the season on the line in Week 16, leads a game-winning drive against the Washington Redskins in what would be his final regular season game and puts the Cowboys in the playoffs.

You telling me that the guy in Scenario 1 is just as clutch as Staubach in Scenario 2?

Well, if you just look at stats with no context, then that is exactly what you will think.