• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Cleveland Cavs vs Boston Celtics

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L @ Bulls sweeping the cavs

Bulls can win the series but no way in hell it's a sweep unless something fluky like an injury/suspension happens but even then

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's obviously some truth to this common sentiment... but I think its being overstated.

Here are some things to keep in mind.

1) Love ranked 17th in the leauge this season in Post-up Field Goal attempts. He had several post-up scores last night.

2) Love attempted far fewer 3 pointers this year than he did his last year in Minnesota. (5.1 per game compared to 6.6 per game). He's actually shooting less 3's.

3) There's good evidence that he is a stretch 4. Even in his time at Minnesota, but especially now. Channing Frye is the only power forward who attempted at least 300 3-pointers and shot a better percentage than Love. Love finished ahead of people like Ryan Anderson and Mirotic in 3 pt %.

4) He averaged just under 10 rebounds this season... less than 2 rebounds down from his career average.

When people criticize Cleveland fans for characterizing Love as a "stretch 4" - TRUST ME- we know he is more than that - he pulled down just about 10 boards a game this season- despite sharing the boards with some GREAT GREAT rebounders at their positions ni Mozgov, Thompson, LeBron and Varejao before he got hurt.

and people just do not understand that Love is SOOO FREAKING VALUABLE when he stretches the floor for the Cavs...

Imagine against chicago- who chases Love out to the 3 pt line? Noah or Gasol? If Gasol does thats a joke- he cant cover Love on the 3 pt line to save his life-and if its Noah thats awesome- becuase that leaves old slow Gasol as their post defender.

Love even when he is not shooting opens up those lanes for guys like KYRIE AND BRON- who by no means NEED it- but its just AMAZING when they do.

wait- you have 2 of the best guys in the leagu at getting to the hoop in Kyrie and Bron? ANd WAIT WAIT?! you ALSO have the best outside shooting big man in the league, who also is a great passer, a great rebounder- and when it calls for it can get rough in the post?

Cleveland matches up very well against the Bulls- and the BIGGEST part of it is that the Bulls are going to have to configure their whole defense to cover Kevin Love and its gonna leave that lane open for Bron and Mozgov pick and rolls, Kyrie drives, etc.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bulls can win the series but no way in hell it's a sweep unless something fluky like an injury/suspension happens but even then

if anyone thinks LEBron is playing as hard as he can right now then your crazy- he has another level he is going to go to next round. He only has to be at a 6 or 7 to beat the Celtics.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing... Love's passing has been huge for the Cavs. He's been one of the better players at passing into and out of the post. LeBron and Mozgov have benefited a lot from that. A lot of times it doesn't result in an assist... because post moves often take a couple of dribbles.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....

- Cleveland beats the hottest team in the East (other than themselves) solidly 3 games in a row. (The Celtics have exactly 0 2nd-half leads in this series)

- Chicago erases a huge deficit only to lose a huge lead and then grind out a win in OT against one of the worst playoff teams over the last half of the season.

.... and your conclusion is that Chicago may sweep Cleveland??

That's fine if you think that could happen... but I wouldn't use their current series games results as evidence for your argument if I were you.

I'm a big baseball fan. I enjoy the analytics of it. I'm just learning about basketball, but your posts seem to me to be well thought out, supported and presented. I appreciate your style.

GenJac, on the other hand. . . I've seen a reasonable amount of posts from him on the MLB threads, and he's what I like to call a talking meatball. He makes outrageous and often ridiculous statements with little or no supporting evidence, but projects confidence while doing so.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing... Love's passing has been huge for the Cavs. He's been one of the better players at passing into and out of the post. LeBron and Mozgov have benefited a lot from that. A lot of times it doesn't result in an assist... because post moves often take a couple of dribbles.

Love also has the most free-throw attempts on the Cavs thus far in the postseason.

They have done a decent job of posting him up besides game 2 where he got in foul trouble.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad that Tristan Thompson is doing what he is doing- I dont care if it drives his price up.

It AMAZES me some of these Heat fans tried to say Chris Anderson has the same impact while the two are on the court.

Kyrie gets a lot of the attention for the leap he has taken this year- but Tristan Thompson deserves some real credit. He has 15 offensive boards in 3 games!!!! DURING THE PLAYOFFS- where guys go crazy with effort to box out and prevent them. The guy has played very solid D- is a good player in rolling to the basket and finishign alley-oops.

The people who tried to say the Cavs did not have a bench just because the starters do the majority of the scoring (AND THE STARTERS SHOULD DO THAT TYPE OF SCORING!!! Bron, Love, Kyrie, JR, Mozgov! those guys are your scorers!)- really do not look very good.

Shumpert and Thompson can have a HUGE impact- and HAVE had a huge impact o games even if they do not score a point.

Someone try and tell me that Tristan Thompson has not had a big time impact on this series even though he is averaging 8 points a game.

I will tell ya- Losing Kevin Love to free agency would be a huge blow to the Cavs - not only because of losing him- but because they could have Wiggins/Bennett and a 1st rounder from Miami that could end up being a pretty decent pick at some point.--

but Tristan Thompson has looked really good- and while he will certainly not be the perimeter shooter and floor stretcher, and passer that Love is- But Thompson plays a lot better D, plays great in the pick and roll, and is a GREAT freaking rebounder- ESPECIALLY offensively where he just might be the best in the entire league.

I look at that draft where Thompson was taken 4th- Kawhi Leonard and Klay Thompson were taken after him- both outside the top 10- that hurts- but look at some of the other guys taken in the top 10 of that draft- Valunciunas, Vesely, Biyombo, Jimmer, Kemba Walker, Brandon Knight was taken ahead of him, Kanter was taken ahead of him

If I have to redo that draft it goes

Kyrie 1- he went 1
Kawhi2- he went 15
Klay- 3 he went 11
Butkler- 4 he went 30
Kanter- 5 he went 3
Thompson- 6 he went 4

Thompson is a great kid- gives 100% effort- is coachable, never gets hurt, is a great teammate- GIVE ME HIM OVER A GUY LIKE HASSAN WHITESIDE ANY DAY OF THE WEEK- The Cavs will go to battle with Tristan Thompson and know he will have his teammates back to the end. He is only 24 years old and continues to improve every season too. Give me the workhouse, the cleanup guy that knows his role, embraces it, plays 100% every night- Tristan is the real thing.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have LOVED Thompsons rebounding. Outfuckingstanding

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a Bulls fan and no way we sweep. I have Bulls in 7 but If Rose/Butler/Noah or Gasol get hurt Cavs in 5 or 6 depending on when that injury happens. I been waiting for this all year. Just wish it was for the Finals.

Should be fun. both teams get a week off.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad that Tristan Thompson is doing what he is doing- I dont care if it drives his price up.

It AMAZES me some of these Heat fans tried to say Chris Anderson has the same impact while the two are on the court.

Kyrie gets a lot of the attention for the leap he has taken this year- but Tristan Thompson deserves some real credit. He has 15 offensive boards in 3 games!!!! DURING THE PLAYOFFS- where guys go crazy with effort to box out and prevent them. The guy has played very solid D- is a good player in rolling to the basket and finishign alley-oops.

The people who tried to say the Cavs did not have a bench just because the starters do the majority of the scoring (AND THE STARTERS SHOULD DO THAT TYPE OF SCORING!!! Bron, Love, Kyrie, JR, Mozgov! those guys are your scorers!)- really do not look very good.

Shumpert and Thompson can have a HUGE impact- and HAVE had a huge impact o games even if they do not score a point.

Someone try and tell me that Tristan Thompson has not had a big time impact on this series even though he is averaging 8 points a game.

I will tell ya- Losing Kevin Love to free agency would be a huge blow to the Cavs - not only because of losing him- but because they could have Wiggins/Bennett and a 1st rounder from Miami that could end up being a pretty decent pick at some point.--

but Tristan Thompson has looked really good- and while he will certainly not be the perimeter shooter and floor stretcher, and passer that Love is- But Thompson plays a lot better D, plays great in the pick and roll, and is a GREAT freaking rebounder- ESPECIALLY offensively where he just might be the best in the entire league.

I look at that draft where Thompson was taken 4th- Kawhi Leonard and Klay Thompson were taken after him- both outside the top 10- that hurts- but look at some of the other guys taken in the top 10 of that draft- Valunciunas, Vesely, Biyombo, Jimmer, Kemba Walker, Brandon Knight was taken ahead of him, Kanter was taken ahead of him

Kyrie 1- he went 1
Kawhi2- he went 15
Klay- 3 he went 11
Butkler- 4 he went 30
Kanter- 5 he went 3
Thompson- 6 he went 4

Thompson is a great kid- gives 100% effort- is coachable, never gets hurt, is a great teammate- GIVE ME HIM OVER A GUY LIKE HASSAN WHITESIDE ANY DAY OF THE WEEK- The Cavs will go to battle with Tristan Thompson and know he will have his teammates back to the end. He is only 24 years old and continues to improve every season too. Give me the workhouse, the cleanup guy that knows his role, embraces it, plays 100% every night- Tristan is the real thing.

Kyrie 1-
Kawhi 2-
Butler-3
Klay- 4
Kanter- 5
Parsons-6
Knight- 7
T. Harris-8
Faried-9
I. Thomas-10
Thompson-11

Something like that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kyrie 1-
Kawhi 2-
Butler-3
Klay- 4
Kanter- 5
Parsons-6
Knight- 7
T. Harris-8
Faried-9
I. Thomas-10
Thompson-11

Something like that.
I missed Parsons- at the same time Parsons did get hurt- but he wasnt impacting a playoff series like Thompson has thus far- of course there is a long way to go...but i dont understand how you put Faried over Thompson- Faried definitely had a better start to his career since he was a 4 year colleg guy- but right now Thompson is the better player...

that draft actually turned out to be pretty damn good in retrospect- originally it was supposed to befairly weak....

Kyrie, Kawhi, Butler, Klay are all max guys easily---- Parsons, Harris are both really good...Knight is a solid NBA starting point guard....Thomas is a great 6th man....

Really solid draft when you go back and look at it....I think before is all said and done you could get 8-9 guys that make an all star team or two out of that draft- and thats damn good

you left Vucevic, and Valunciunas Reggie Jackson, off your list all together and both those guys have some skills- and could make an all star team at some point too

Kyrie of course si the crown jewel of the draft- Butler by far the best diamond in the rough, Thompson a guy who should make multiple all star teams and be a great #2/#3 guy ona championship caliber team....really a very very good draft...

look at all that very solid talent- to recap once more

1. Kyrie
2. Kawhi
3. Klay
4. Butler
5. Kanter
6. Thompson
7. Vucevic
8. Parsons
9. T. Harris
10. I. Thomas
11. R. Jackson
12. Valunciunas
13. Faried
14. Knight
15. Kemba walker
16. Freaking Mirotic- missed him- should be higher!
17. Markief Morris is pretty darn good
18. Iman Shumpert has talent
19. Norris Cole has some talent
20. Marshon Brooks was great a rook- but a few years down the line look how far down he is on this list!
21. Motiejunas has made a soid career in Houston

Very good and deep draft

Think of what a waste it was if you had a top 10 pick and wasted it on like Vesely or Biyombo or Jimmer or

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have LOVED Thompsons rebounding. Outfuckingstanding
seriously. His offensive rebounding just ripped the hearts out of the Celtics at the precise worst times for them. He has been stealing their lunch money all series- and outworking them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed Parsons- at the same time Parsons did get hurt- but he wasnt impacting a playoff series like Thompson has thus far- of course there is a long way to go...but i dont understand how you put Faried over Thompson- Faried definitely had a better start to his career since he was a 4 year colleg guy- but right now Thompson is the better player...

that draft actually turned out to be pretty damn good in retrospect- originally it was supposed to befairly weak....

Kyrie, Kawhi, Butler, Klay are all max guys easily---- Parsons, Harris are both really good...Knight is a solid NBA starting point guard....Thomas is a great 6th man....

Really solid draft when you go back and look at it....I think before is all said and done you could get 8-9 guys that make an all star team or two out of that draft- and thats damn good

you left Vucevic, and Valunciunas Reggie Jackson, off your list all together and both those guys have some skills- and could make an all star team at some point too

Kyrie of course si the crown jewel of the draft- Butler by far the best diamond in the rough, Thompson a guy who should make multiple all star teams and be a great #2/#3 guy ona championship caliber team....really a very very good draft...

look at all that very solid talent- to recap once more

1. Kyrie
2. Kawhi
3. Klay
4. Butler
5. Kanter
6. Thompson
7. Vucevic
8. Parsons
9. T. Harris
10. I. Thomas
11. R. Jackson
12. Valunciunas
13. Faried
14. Knight
15. Kemba walker
16. Freaking Mirotic- missed him- should be higher!
17. Markief Morris is pretty darn good
18. Iman Shumpert has talent
19. Norris Cole has some talent
20. Marshon Brooks was great a rook- but a few years down the line look how far down he is on this list!
21. Motiejunas has made a soid career in Houston

Very good and deep draft

Think of what a waste it was if you had a top 10 pick and wasted it on like Vesely or Biyombo or Jimmer or
It was a good draft. Thompson is a nice role player but to be honest all he does is rebound and yes every team needs one of these guys but overall player Thompson still has work to do.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can't even sweep Milwaukee lol

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that may be clevelands title hopes, gone.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nasty looking injury.