• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chucky Returns?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely would take a lot to get any coach with any kind of respectability to go to that team right now. Chucky seems like the only big name guy I could see even consider it because of his friendship with the Owner but even then if I were him I wouldn't even consider it. Chucky has his pick of any team he would want to coach so to me I would wait until I actually saw a team full of talent just needing some good coaching then jump on the opportunity to look like a hero. Oakland is where careers go to die these days and would hate to see his reputation tainted by such a bad franchise.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely would take a lot to get any coach with any kind of respectability to go to that team right now. Chucky seems like the only big name guy I could see even consider it because of his friendship with the Owner but even then if I were him I wouldn't even consider it. Chucky has his pick of any team he would want to coach so to me I would wait until I actually saw a team full of talent just needing some good coaching then jump on the opportunity to look like a hero. Oakland is where careers go to die these days and would hate to see his reputation tainted by such a bad franchise.

I think because he's turned down much better jobs in the pass, that he won't take this one either...he's gets paid a lot of money to do what he's doing, so paying a lot is not the best incentive.

IMO...if ATL became available next year, he might consider it if he's ever going to come back to coaching...top shelf QB/WRs...basically needs to fix the DEF...great facilities, great owner, willing to spend on players, coaches, wants to win...close to Tampa.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think because he's turned down much better jobs in the pass, that he won't take this one either...he's gets paid a lot of money to do what he's doing, so paying a lot is not the best incentive.

IMO...if ATL became available next year, he might consider it if he's ever going to come back to coaching...top shelf QB/WRs...basically needs to fix the DEF...great facilities, great owner, willing to spend on players, coaches, wants to win...close to Tampa.

I think he has said in the past that he will only return to a team with a top shelf quarterback so Atlanta definitely makes a lot of sense. Yeah I don't think money will be his major concern when it comes to a franchise. This from what I have heard will be some of his priorities...

1) Franchise quarterback
2) I think he has said that he would want GM as well as Head Coach so that he could be the one making the decisions.
3) Going along with that an Owner that just lets him do his thing and again not sure Oakland is the place that allows that even now with Al Davis gone.
4) Team that could win right away--Another strike against Oakland in they are a hot mess that will probably take a couple of years to get sorted out by any coach.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it comes down to does he have the inner pull to get back into the game? As a football fan I would love it!

But only if the ownership backs off allows him to bring in his own GM ala how pete carroll hand picked JS.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just a bad movie title, but looks like the Raiders are legitimately considering paying "a lot" to get Gruden out of retirement. I say good luck. I doubt anyone wants to coach that team right now.

Report: Raiders prepared to spend 'a lot of money' on Jon Gruden - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 280+ Sites

Cmon man, Chucky in the land of misfit toys? That works on a number of levels, even NFL network was alluding to Chucky's "soft spot" for the Raiders.
I doubt he does it for the money, he does it for the glorification of the soul, en sech.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Gruden wouldn't consider a blank check and total authority.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would have to be with some bill parcells type of control. dont really see it. have a below average talented roster.. years of trading away 1st round picks.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way I see him going to Oak is if he got control over who to hire for front office positions, a guarantee that they will be the LA Raiders in the next few years, & a blank check.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the Coach/ GM works anymore. Mike Holmgren has said on local seattle radio how incredibly difficult that position is. One minute your negotiating with a player, saying he's not as good as he thinks he is trying to get a team friendly number, the next your in a meeting room trying to get that same player to give it his all.

I think the way Seattle did it is the best. Get your coach, allow your coach to hand pick the GM, Have coach and GM work incredibly well together but have to have that seperation. Could you imagine Pete Carrol trying to get RW to take a Kap type contract instead of a Flacco one beating him down. Then the next day trying to get him to run his team.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would any team consider Chucky for anything except hotdog vendor......I take that back, I wouldn't buy a hotdog from that fool.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would any team consider Chucky for anything except hotdog vendor......I take that back, I wouldn't buy a hotdog from that fool.

He's got a pretty good track record, a super bowl ring, might have had a second ring with a different team too if it hadn't been for the "tuck rule". I think he's got good enough credentials.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got a pretty good track record, a super bowl ring, might have had a second ring with a different team too if it hadn't been for the "tuck rule". I think he's got good enough credentials.

Was listening to some people discussing his coaching history a little while ago and have to agree with them in Chucky has a great track record with teams that already have a lot of talent. His weakness is building up a bad team and making them great as he isn't the best at coaching up young talent. He needs a veteran quarterback to usually run his system the way he wants so rookies usually irritate him that they can't get it right away. Maybe he has grown in some of this with his time away from football but this is a big reason why I question he would go to Oakland. I don't know if he has the patience to wait for the Raiders to develop talent and become good again.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He only won because Dungy built him a team.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only won because Dungy built him a team.

LOL the "only won cause of" argument is silly.

Who built the raiders team that he won with that got tuck ruled? Also that team who he built that he stomped in the superbowl....

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Super Bowl was also the last playoff game he ever won.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what happened in Tampa in the years after the SB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why didnt Dungy get them to the SB?

There are coaches that are good at building teams up but struggle to get them fully over the hump to the big game. Other coaches are great with great talent and know how to maximize that especially in big games. Every coach is a bit different and has their strengths and weaknesses. Very few are good at it all.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why didnt Dungy get them to the SB?

If you recall he had to start over from scratch, and where did he go? To the Super Bowl. Tampa was just impatient and lost the coach that could have built them a dynasty. But that's all good with the Colts fans.