• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Christian McCaffrey to the 49ers

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every big RB contract in the last couple of years I guarantee you every team would do again.

Cook, Henry, Kamara, Jones. All have missed time and yet even with that those guys add big time value to their teams that no rookie RB is going to bring. Hell the only reason McCaffery got traded is not him...its the rest of the team around him in Carolina.

And what people fail to notice when they say how RB's don't matter is just how many draft picks teams without good RB's have to spend to get a competent RB core.

The 49ers in the last 2 drafts had spent 2 3rd rounders and a 6th rounder before getting McCaffery. So almost as much to get a RB core they werent happy about.

Again the NFL and people have taken this whole RB dont matter thing WAY too far to the point where good RB's are solid deals.

I didn't say they don't matter. I agree that is an over statement.

The biggest problem with RBs is they fall off a cliff. Zeke Elliot went from top RB in the league platoon RB almost over night.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many teams in the past decade have been just a RB away from being a SB team?

None. QB play is what matters for the 49ers.

It can even be argued a good stable of backs is more important than one star back.
How would we know if they didn't trade for that RB? Probably a lot

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I have no life so it will be more interesting for me.
In theory its a pretty interesting game because the Niners almost certainly had this one marked on their calendar to start the year the same way the Chiefs played their best game against the Bucs. You lose a SB and Id imagine it motivates everyone on the rematch.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many teams in the past decade have been just a RB away from being a SB team?

None. QB play is what matters for the 49ers.

It can even be argued a good stable of backs is more important than one star back.

Buffalo just last season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kinda what makes this a head-scratcher for me. SF already has a CMC in Deebo, not sure this was a high need for them. But as you say, it definitely makes them a more dangerous offense, if both guys are going to take snaps from those same positions
It let's Deebo be a WR and run routes downfield more. On obvious passing downs they had Deebo and Kittle and nothing else that worried anyone. Now they have those two and also CMC. Totally changes how defenses will play them IMO. For all the talk about Deebo he's 30th in the NFL in receiving at only 57 yards per game and only 2 receiving TDs. And he only has 22 yards rushing per game. Kittle finally went over 50 yards receiving for the first time last week. IMO SF needed another weapon when their QB play is obviously below NFL average.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fire selling a team like the Panthers are doing is a stupid move... you're likely not getting some fix all solution in Young/Stroud and Wilks has zero fucking clue what he's doing. And then they're willing to trade a pretty decent DE who is still 24-25 years old... you're also not going to attract any free agents let alone keep your existing decent players without overpaying the hell out of them. Oh... nice situation you put your new giant investment #1 QB in. :pound:

Still blows my mind flyer... that you support tanking a season to get draft picks. Tell me the last time a team did that successfully? And I mean purposely trade away everything... it's never happened. And no Peyton Manning doesn't count.
Seattle this year? :welcome:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this trade tells me is that if your club likes anyone on the Panthers roster, just call and offer them a couple of picks
How about Derrick Brown to the Cowboys for a 2nd and a 4th :D

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle this year? :welcome:

Seems to be more to the story with Seattle in terms of why they traded Wilson. Yah you could argue it was injury, etc. but based on everything that's said, seems like the Seattle FO wanted him the F out of there. CMAC at least as of yet hasn't had any of that.

San Fran also didn't resign CMAC to a record franchise breaking contract. I dunno jarntt.... it's been one hell of an offseason and several games to the season... and then the Iggles are undefeated.. *hangs head low*

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

Nice move Niners

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they just need to stay reasonably healthy. The biggest question mark for this trade is McCaffrey staying healthy. Niners will have to be content with Jimmy being Jimmy. He doesn't have the great arm, but he knows the offense well and is capable of making quick decisions. Just get the ball out quickly to one of many playmakers in Deebo, McCaffrey, Kittle, and Aiyuk, and the offense should be okay.
He's not going to be asked to carry the load like he did in Carolina. Not like we didn't see productions from our cast of nobody RB's ( yeas that argument cuts both ways) and of course the other position players you previously mentioned
He should spare Deebo some wear and tear when he's used as a RB
He's tailor made of the O
The Niners are going for it. As well they should

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? A few basic plays just for him?

He's got a good football IQ.

Maybe. But he won't have any practice time with the Niners by Sunday. Maybe a Saturday walk through only?? He did go to Stanford, so we're counting on a high IQ.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why so many are saying SF overpaid. Great trade for them IMO.

Most of the people ripping this trade are fans of the other 3 teams in that division (and RTK), so they can't look at it as objectively.

Especially since had the Rams gotten it done, the fans likely would be singing a different tune.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the people ripping this trade are fans of the other 3 teams in that division (and RTK), so they can't look at it as objectively.

Especially since had the Rams gotten it done, the fans likely would be singing a different tune.

I had a feeling that the Niners wouldn't be on the hook for much. However, the source for this feeling was Madden Footbal video games, so I wasn't sure how accurate my feeling was. LOL. In Madden, the team that trades away a player always remains on the hook for the signing bonus money.