• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Christian McCaffrey to the 49ers

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great fit but if he isn’t healthy they gave away 3 1st’s, 2nd, 2 3rd’s, 4th and a 5th for two guys that can’t stay healthy. That isn’t ideal

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers get a bonafide offensive star for a bounty of draft picks, and he barely moves the needle financially speaking this season. In fact, even with McCaffrey in tow, San Francisco is only allocating $3,368,545 to their active running back core in 2022, 30th in the NFL.

However, the 49ers have now essentially forfeited their 2023 draft, with the #148 selection in the 5th round currently slated to be their first pick (compensatory draft picks notwithstanding). It’s an all-in move from San Francisco, something we’ve seen work quite a bit across the sports world of late.

And if Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t “the guy” - maybe Christian McCaffrey can be.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure those cap hits are accurate. Almost nothing this year and then $12M per after that and I don't think any of it is guaranteed

49ers Acquire Christian McCaffrey​

By: Michael Ginnitti | October 21, 2022
The 49ers planted their foot in the ground as serious NFC contenders last night when they acquired RB Christian McCaffrey from the Carolina Panthers in exchange for four draft picks.

The trade compensation suggests that multiple teams had made offers for the 26 year old offensive weapon, with teams like the Bills & Rams all reportedly interested.

THE TERMS​

San Francisco Acquires:
RB Christian McCaffrey (26)

Carolina Acquires:
2023 2nd round pick
2023 3rd round pick
2023 4th round pick
2024 5th round pick

THE TRADED CONTRACT​

The Niners are set up for outstanding financial value with this contract through the remainder of 2022, thanks to a simple base salary restructure that was processed on McCaffrey’s contract by the Panthers this past March.

SF’s Cap/Cash Hits
2022: $690,000 (guaranteed)
2023: $12,000,000 ($1M guaranteed for injury)
2024: $12,000,000 (non-guaranteed)
2025: $12,200,000 (non-guaranteed)

49ers 2022 Salary Cap Table

THE DEAD CAP & CASH​

The Panthers will take on significant dead cap hits each of this and next year per this trade. 2022: $8,095,750 ($7,910,000 cash)
2023: $18,352,250 ($0 cash)

Panthers 2022 Salary Cap Table

THE SAVINGS​

In addition to the four draft picks acquired, Carolina frees up a little bit of cap space both this and next season, and a good amount of potential cash going forward as well.

2022: $690,000 cap/cash saved
2023: $1,198,500 cap, $12,000,000 cash saved

THE DRAFT PICKS​

With four shiny new picks acquired from this deal, the Panthers now boast some of the best draft capital in the league.

Projected 2023 1st-4th Round Picks:
#1, #33, #51, #86, #97, #117

IN CONCLUSION​

The 49ers get a bonafide offensive star for a bounty of draft picks, and he barely moves the needle financially speaking this season. In fact, even with McCaffrey in tow, San Francisco is only allocating $3,368,545 to their active running back core in 2022, 30th in the NFL.

However, the 49ers have now essentially forfeited their 2023 draft, with the #148 selection in the 5th round currently slated to be their first pick (compensatory draft picks notwithstanding). It’s an all-in move from San Francisco, something we’ve seen work quite a bit across the sports world of late.

And if Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t “the guy” - maybe Christian McCaffrey can be.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great fit but if he isn’t healthy they gave away 3 1st’s, 2nd, 2 3rd’s, 4th and a 5th for two guys that can’t stay healthy. That isn’t ideal
Your compensation numbers are way off.

The trade was (1) 2nd, (1) 3rd (1) 4th, and (1) 5th

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why so many are saying SF overpaid. Great trade for them IMO.

I mean it's a 2nd, 4th, 5th (1 year out generally is worth one less pick) and 7th (2 years out). I graded this positively for the 9ers, but it's an all or nothing move for the next 1-2 years (Super Bowl or bust). They're going the Rams route for sure.

It wasn't a bargain trade by any means. That said, San Fran is probably trying to win now. The NFC is absolute trash, they have injuries at the RB position, and CMAC might just get them to the Super Bowl assuming he can stay healthy. CMAC is still 26 years old so there's a little bit left in the tank. He's a huge threat if healthy and on the field, so this might catapult San Fran to the conference Championship.

All said, in a couple years the whole NFC West with exception of Seattle is going to implode with everything surrendered (Rams - picks/contracts, Cardinals - contracts, 49ers - Lance + picks) outside of the Seahawks. Hopefully that gum chewing bastard Carroll is still alive to see it.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People hating this trade said similar things for the Stafford trade, Rams got their SB they win the trade. 9ers looking for the same thing, they had a decent shot at it last year without CMC. I can see why they pushed their chips in.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we give up a 2, 3, 4, and a 2024 5 for RB C.McCaffrey. On one hand, I get it—our running game has been lackluster and we’re a running team and CMC is a very good RB that fits perfectly in the SF offense.

OTOH, this looks like a massive mistake. Not only is McCaffrey injury prone (he’ll fit right in in SF), but his salaries in future years are exorbitant AND the trade effectively guts the 2023 draft (comp picks not withstanding).

I have to wonder if there is anyone in the SF FO that can tell Kyle "no."

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we give up a 2, 3, 4, and a 2024 5 for RB C.McCaffrey. On one hand, I get it—our running game has been lackluster and we’re a running team and CMC is a very good RB that fits perfectly in the SF offense.

OTOH, this looks like a massive mistake. Not only is McCaffrey injury prone (he’ll fit right in in SF), but his salaries in future years are exorbitant AND the trade effectively guts the 2023 draft (comp picks not withstanding).

I think the 49ers are in win now mode.... The NFC looks absolutely terrible, you guys have a hole at RB, and Seattle is going to take over the division if they draft decently in the next couple years. Trey Lance looks like a bust at this point....

49ers have an elite defense and Jimmy Garporlrorlrorlol cannot be trusted to carry the team. I think the 49ers' odds of getting to the SBOWL just went up quite a bit with CMAC... and that's really the name of the game. Stafford was kind of a stupid trade/resigning as well, but the Rams won the SBOWL.... end of day that's what you're going for.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People hating this trade said similar things for the Stafford trade, Rams got their SB they win the trade. 9ers looking for the same thing, they had a decent shot at it last year without CMC. I can see why they pushed their chips in.

No, Stafford is a QB not a banged up RB that has looked washed for over a year now.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They arent though.

They are basically paying him $37M for 3.5 years of service. *** Almost nothing this year and then $12M a year following that. That is a frickin steal for a player of McCaffery's potential impact. Carolina on the other hand is paying him $21.5M next year for not having him on the team.

I have always wondered why more teams dont save money by spending their draft picks like this. But there arent a lot of dummy's like Carolina out there.

I mean sure there are risks with injury and all. But they still have their young RB's backing up CMC on the cheap if he gets hurt.

***Edit: I do know that it wont play out like that. At some point CMC will want a restructure. That's just reality.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Stafford is a QB not a banged up RB that has looked washed for over a year now.

CMAC is still 26... it's not like Stafford was some young spring chicken non-injured QB either. The Stafford (and even Wilson) trade is fine... it's the insane contracts they gave them after that was embarrassing. I doubt the 49ers FO will make the same mistake.

Everyone knows Jimmy Garporlrorlrorolol is not going to will the team to a Super Bowl on his own. It will require a run game 100% and CMAC helps that.

49ers are kind of an all in move like the Rams... They'll suck in 2024 beyond in all likelihood, but they're trying to win now and with the weak NFC believe they can.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They arent though.

They are basically paying him $37M for 3.5 years of service. *** Almost nothing this year and then $12M a year following that. That is a frickin steal for a player of McCaffery's potential impact. Carolina on the other hand is paying him $21.5M next year for not having him on the team.

I have always wondered why more teams dont save money by spending their draft picks like this. But there arent a lot of dummy's like Carolina out there.

I mean sure there are risks with injury and all. But they still have their young RB's backing up CMC on the cheap if he gets hurt.

***Edit: I do know that it wont play out like that. At some point CMC will want a restructure. That's just reality.
The team will be paying a top 10 salary to CMC. The future salaries of 12M/year make him the 7th highest paid RB in the league. I mean, the 4th highest paid RB is making 12.6M/yr. The salaries are high imo, though like you said, he is likely to get a restructuring that'll change the numbers up.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team will be paying a top 10 salary to CMC. The future salaries of 12M/year make him the 7th highest paid RB in the league. I mean, the 4th highest paid RB is making 12.6M/yr. The salaries are high imo, though like you said, he is likely to get a restructuring that'll change the numbers up.

Yeah but RB is the most underpaid position in the league. And you are looking at salary.....not cap hits. All those other RB's are hitting the other teams cap with much more force as those teams are paying not just salary but also signing bonuses.

You could have CMC on your roster or Allen Robinson. Who do you want? CMC costs $10M total less.

You guys signed Laken Tomlinson this year. McCaffery costs less. Who makes more of an impact?

There is a reason that the whole RB dont matter theme hit the NFL. There are a lot of good RB's out there. But the NFL took it WAY too far. Big time impact RB's are good deals right now.....ESPECIALLY when another team in the league decides to eat the entire signing bonus for you.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In no way is 12M exorbitant as long as he healthy. If he stays on the field you guys got a steal.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB instead of QB is why is was not 2 1sts. The 49ers are a dropped pick away from the sb last year. CMC makes them better no question. It is an all in move, we will have to wait and see if it pays off

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes, San Fransisco, a place known for keeping RBs healthy
Exactly my thought, injury prone player going to the most injured team in the league year after year

Should work out great, only gave up what four picks? Lol

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They arent though.

He played 10 games the previous two seasons. He will be injured.

You’re looking at this trade through 2017 tinted glasses

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB instead of QB is why is was not 2 1sts. The 49ers are a dropped pick away from the sb last year. CMC makes them better no question. It is an all in move, we will have to wait and see if it pays off
How many teams in the past decade have been just a RB away from being a SB team?

None. QB play is what matters for the 49ers.

It can even be argued a good stable of backs is more important than one star back.