• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Christian McCaffrey to the 49ers

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say they can't have too many picks left!

Eh 9ers are kind of all in at this point.... IMO.

But it's also a little bit of 'whatever'. Trey Lance was a woops move (it appears for now anyway) but they still have coached up a good defense. Defense always keeps you in games.

The NFC looks absolutely terrible at the moment. I get the Eagles are undefeated but I'm not buying that... 49ers have always relied on shifty/quick ground pound RBs and CMAC is that.

I mean if San Fran faults on this one and Tre Lance isn't the answer..... yah.. they're going to be irrelevant for a while unless they hit on several late round picks (easier said than done)... but IMO San Fran is right to strike at the moment. The NFC is super weak and Seattle (IMO) is about to get VERY strong in a couple years... Rams are finished, and the midget in Arizona isn't gonna do shit.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh 9ers are kind of all in at this point.... IMO.

But it's also a little bit of 'whatever'. Trey Lance was a woops move (it appears for now anyway) but they still have coached up a good defense. Defense always keeps you in games.

The NFC looks absolutely terrible at the moment. I get the Eagles are undefeated but I'm not buying that... 49ers have always relied on shifty/quick ground pound RBs and CMAC is that.

I mean if San Fran faults on this one and Tre Lance isn't the answer..... yah.. they're going to be irrelevant for a while unless they hit on several late round picks (easier said than done)... but IMO San Fran is right to strike at the moment. The NFC is super weak and Seattle (IMO) is about to get VERY strong in a couple years... Rams are finished, and the midget in Arizona isn't gonna do shit.

Lololololol

Eagles shit on the 49ers. Eaes have a top 5 defense and offense.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lololololol

Eagles shit on the 49ers. Eaes have a top 5 defense and offense.
I mean Philly is 4th in total offense and 7th in total defense which is great

But the NFL postseason isn't like other sports. Its a 1 game scenario

Dallas was 1st in total offense and 7th in total defebse last year. Didnt stop SF from beating them in the playoffs

I still think Philly is the favorite but this move definitely helps SF this year

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a good move by SF.
Feeds into Jimmy G's QB play as well.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe how hard the Panthers fleeced the 49ers.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I can’t believe how hard the Panthers fleeced the 49ers.
They benefited from a bidding war because it sounds like the Rams were pretty interested and now that turns it into a scenario where you not only want the player but want to keep it from your rival in the division as well.

Not a fan of the compensation as it's a lot for an RB that's injury prone and one whose contract you'll have to figure out because you probably didn't trade that much for a rental.

I will say his value to the 9ers is his receiving ability. Shanahan has been dying for years to have an RB that can be a dynamic pass catcher and when healthy that's what he can be and that gives the offense an added dimension they desperately need right now.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Warren Sharp is wrong about the cap hits. The 49ers will only be on the hook for the money they pay McCaffrey. The dead money will stay with the Panthers.

Think it's pretty much 12 million a year for 2023 and beyond though I'm sure they'll do something with his deal in the offseason. Maybe more guaranteed money but take a less of a cap hit and free up space to sign other guys.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 49ers end up picking at #24 in each round the total trade value will be the equivalent of pick #33, give or take. I valued him at pick #38. There's about 10% difference between the valuations. Fair trade.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If those picks were spread out between multiple years then alright. But the same year? Good move Panthers.
They had multiple comp draft picks from some of their minority personnel getting promotions and jobs with other teams so it's not as devasting to lose those picks at first glance. And if Ryans gets a head coaching job this offseason they'll get even more comp picks.

I still don't love the trade package but I get the logic behind it. It's a loaded roster that doesn't have a lot of holes so you don't really need a ton of picks because guys are going to have a tough time cracking the roster as it is and better to spend it on a guy that's probably more talented than what you could get with those picks anyways.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it's pretty much 12 million a year for 2023 and beyond though I'm sure they'll do something with his deal in the offseason. Maybe more guaranteed money but take a less of a cap hit and free up space to sign other guys.
They don't really need need to do anything with his deal. They'll probably convert the 2023 salary to a signing/restructure bonus just before the 2023 season starts, (assuming McCaffrey stays healthy). No reason to add further guarantees.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers offense was pretty much dysfunctional so this has a chance of really paying off for the Niners (for the 15 games CmC will be healthy).

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Niners have an All Pro caliber WR, RB, TE, LT and pass rusher. This is easily the best roster in the NFL if you exclude the QB position

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also I think CMC has a decent chance of staying relatively healthy the next few seasons as the Niners have so much talent they can manage his workload. He'll probably be getting 10-12 carries a game with a half dozen targets in the pass game

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont read twitter for news!

McCaffery is a steal for the 49ers at $12M in each of the next 3 seasons. Not $19M. The difference between the $19M a year and the $12M a year is Carolina’s dead cap hit next year ($21m).

And that is why anyone giving Carolina a good trade grade after this is absolutely insane. Literally are paying $21M to not have their best player on the roster next year and their trade ”haul” gets them 3 players in next year draft that are only in the 50-150 best prospect range (not a great range).

Really good gamble by the 49ers. Gives them an insane amount of play makers on offense for this year to hide Jimmy’s issue and next year to again start developing Lance.

And the money they owe CMC is really just about 40% of the bonus money they have the next couple of years because they don’t have the obligation of paying for a vet starting QB right now.