• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Petersen on UW/Boise State Matchup

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always intrigued about the system we've created in college football. To the G5 schools, the refrain is always "play someone tough, just not us."
Boise's experience is that most will play you, but ask that it be a one and done game on the road or a 2 for one schedule over a number of years. The problem is math. Every single year Boise schedules a major conference opponent, often on the road, but here is the problem:
The conference schedule is fixed for every school, no matter what conference that is. Throw in a traditional nonconference rival, in Boise's case, BYU, and that's 9 games. So only 3 games are truly free to schedule. Teams don't build stadiums to only play 5 home games, everyone wants to get at least 6, the really greedy ones want 7 (translation SEC and "Bigs"). So it's nearly impossible, especially in years in which the traditional nonconference rivalry game is on the road to convince one of those schools to come to Boise.
I hate scheduling weaker teams, especially FCS schools, but sometimes that's all who will take a game. And a lot of big schools, like Auburn and Alabama schedule such a game as a "bye" game before the Iron Bowl.
So when Boise does agree to a 2 for 1 series, they can't get enough home games. And besides, even if Boise did as suggested, the naysayers would whine about their conference, or something else.
So why wouldn't a major school want to come to Boise? Simple, not enough money, and a damn good chance that they'd lose the game.
Now you know why.
That's total BS and really by now you either know it, or are entirely hopeless.

You had plenty of P5's willing to play boise when they were relevant. The truth now is they aren't a marquee name as much now. That hurts getting marquee type games.

Why won't teams travel to boise? It's not a big sale to their fans. Start there. Teams want to schedule home/home against teams with a name and a stadium/city their fans will want to travel to. Who the fuck wants to go to Boise Idaho? :noidea: The Pac12 teams that did so were the ones close enough to make shorter travel a part of the equation, however none view BSU as a rival so why would they do it more than say once a decade since they want to offer their fans that variety in road game opportunities?

There isn't a team in college football that refuses to schedule boise out of fear.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m shocked we weren’t able to retain him. I mean he was making such a fortune at Boise, a whopping $300K. Maybe we can reach out to Eastern Washington and see if their OC is available. I mean that’s where we got Hill from who was their quarterbacks coach. It’s also where we got our new DC from once Avalos bolted for Oregon. That was another shocker because all they were able to do was triple his salary. He really should have stayed in Boise.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m shocked we weren’t able to retain him. I mean he was making such a fortune at Boise, a whopping $300K. Maybe we can reach out to Eastern Washington and see if their OC is available. I mean that’s where we got Hill from who was their quarterbacks coach. It’s also where we got our new DC from once Avalos bolted for Oregon. That was another shocker because all they were able to do was triple his salary. He really should have stayed in Boise.
Take UW's OC. He's a former BSU QB.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you’d gladly hand him over but I’m sure Kansas or Rutgers are looking for a passing game coordinator to hire at a much higher salary.

images

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't often I get to root for BSU...what a rare treat.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's total BS and really by now you either know it, or are entirely hopeless.

You had plenty of P5's willing to play boise when they were relevant. The truth now is they aren't a marquee name as much now. That hurts getting marquee type games.

Why won't teams travel to boise? It's not a big sale to their fans. Start there. Teams want to schedule home/home against teams with a name and a stadium/city their fans will want to travel to. Who the fuck wants to go to Boise Idaho? :noidea: The Pac12 teams that did so were the ones close enough to make shorter travel a part of the equation, however none view BSU as a rival so why would they do it more than say once a decade since they want to offer their fans that variety in road game opportunities?

There isn't a team in college football that refuses to schedule boise out of fear.

Ah, the Wiz I know and love. So good to hear your rants again. I haven't been posting much. Let's go over this point by point.

Boise has never had plenty of P5s willing to come to Boise, gotta give props to Oregon and Washington teams, though, they seem the only ones. But in every other match up Boise either has to do a one and done or a two for one. As I said before, the math doesn't work. We went down to Georgia, twice, they decided not to come here after we kicked their ass in the Georgia Dome. Virginia Tech, same story. Michigan State is scheduled, we'll see if they make it. Same with FSU and OK State. But in each case, Boise had to go there first with a cheap buy-out clause. The only ones willing to play us are other G5s looking for recognition. But Boise almost always wins those games, proving themselves, year after year as a top school in the division. The only success in getting real competitive games has been in those opening kickoff events in pro stadiums, but always as closer drives for the other schools than Boise.

Now, let's discuss "marquee" I admit, it gets boring. Boise has won, year after year, and no one can successfully argue that another team in a similar situation has done it better. We'd love to move to a bigger conference, but that's a matter of money, which Boise lacks, unfortunately. So we'll just keep winning and keep pissing off good people like you, my friend. By the way, Boise is now the top winning d-1 school in history using percentage, even ahead of Ohio St., Bama, Michigan, and Oklahoma.

Never called anyone afraid, but a trip to Boise is more often than not a loss. It's called home field advantage. UW has the same thing, a fantastic stadium. They've won a lot more games there than on the road over the years. The problem is that a big school can bring in East Undershirt State for a gimmie game, make more money, and get an almost automatic win. Boise State? Bringing the Broncos in isn't a guarantee, gasp, they could actually win. :D:eek::gaah:So, since I've shown how every one of your points are incorrect, I wish you well. Have a great day. looking forward to more dialogue.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the Wiz I know and love. So good to hear your rants again. I haven't been posting much. Let's go over this point by point.

Boise has never had plenty of P5s willing to come to Boise, gotta give props to Oregon and Washington teams, though, they seem the only ones. But in every other match up Boise either has to do a one and done or a two for one. As I said before, the math doesn't work. We went down to Georgia, twice, they decided not to come here after we kicked their ass in the Georgia Dome. Virginia Tech, same story. Michigan State is scheduled, we'll see if they make it. Same with FSU and OK State. But in each case, Boise had to go there first with a cheap buy-out clause. The only ones willing to play us are other G5s looking for recognition. But Boise almost always wins those games, proving themselves, year after year as a top school in the division. The only success in getting real competitive games has been in those opening kickoff events in pro stadiums, but always as closer drives for the other schools than Boise.

Now, let's discuss "marquee" I admit, it gets boring. Boise has won, year after year, and no one can successfully argue that another team in a similar situation has done it better. We'd love to move to a bigger conference, but that's a matter of money, which Boise lacks, unfortunately. So we'll just keep winning and keep pissing off good people like you, my friend. By the way, Boise is now the top winning d-1 school in history using percentage, even ahead of Ohio St., Bama, Michigan, and Oklahoma.

Never called anyone afraid, but a trip to Boise is more often than not a loss. It's called home field advantage. UW has the same thing, a fantastic stadium. They've won a lot more games there than on the road over the years. The problem is that a big school can bring in East Undershirt State for a gimmie game, make more money, and get an almost automatic win. Boise State? Bringing the Broncos in isn't a guarantee, gasp, they could actually win. :D:eek::gaah:So, since I've shown how every one of your points are incorrect, I wish you well. Have a great day. looking forward to more dialogue.

But for some schools, East Undershirt State =/= a sellout, but BSU would.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just so we’re clear, did you just take a passive aggressive shot at someone for ‘ranting’?

because :lol:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so we’re clear, did you just take a passive aggressive shot at someone for ‘ranting’?

because :lol:
Why I'd never do such a thing! No one ever does that when discussing sports, especially not here, but bless your heart for asking. :-)

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to step back for a moment and realise that the common enemy here is Oregon.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to step back for a moment and realise that the common enemy here is Oregon.
I want to agree, but mostly I’m feeling like Boise can go ahead and lick balls too. Obnoxious little turds.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lolz at you proving anything other than your delusions are still fully intact after all these years. And lolz that you would go over every point. You missed at least one glaring one.

You haven't addressed at all the point that Boise is not a destination that's easily sold to boosters/alum who like to travel. Sit down and compose a list as if you were the AD from say Georgia, Ohio State, etc and create a list of teams you would like to contact based on what you think your fans would enjoy in a H/H both for bringing in top shelf talent, and for places your fans would love to go to. How far down that list would Boise end up? It's a rhetorical exercise because you won't give honest credence to the priorities of how schools look for filling their top shelf h/h OOC games.

lol at still thinking you are the top G5. That was UCF for a couple of years and now this year it went to Memphis. BSU is still a decent G5, but they are not the story they once were.

You mention UW and Oregon as willing to do deals. Already mentioned that. Funny you only mention them when WSU and Oregon State also have made similar deals. Why did you leave them out? Doesn't meet your idea of top programs? Helps support my statement that their travel was more regional interest than anything more? Again, you can get teams from nearby states to travel there, but it's a hard sell to get interest from teams much farther away. There simply isn't any real history in that stadium and nothing in the area to support interest in travel. There is no room for debate there. None.

And lol at going back and forth on your arguments. You want to talk about teams being afraid of a possible loss as a reason why they won't do h/h while claiming your team is still elite, yet mix the metaphor of being a next tier easy win type of game. Teams aren't afraid to go to Michigan, Ohio State, ND, etc yet they are scared out of their wits at the thought they could lose to Boise State. It's an insane argument. It has more to do with all of those places are easy to sell for fans to travel to.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lolz at you proving anything other than your delusions are still fully intact after all these years. And lolz that you would go over every point. You missed at least one glaring one.

You haven't addressed at all the point that Boise is not a destination that's easily sold to boosters/alum who like to travel. Sit down and compose a list as if you were the AD from say Georgia, Ohio State, etc and create a list of teams you would like to contact based on what you think your fans would enjoy in a H/H both for bringing in top shelf talent, and for places your fans would love to go to. How far down that list would Boise end up? It's a rhetorical exercise because you won't give honest credence to the priorities of how schools look for filling their top shelf h/h OOC games.

lol at still thinking you are the top G5. That was UCF for a couple of years and now this year it went to Memphis. BSU is still a decent G5, but they are not the story they once were.

You mention UW and Oregon as willing to do deals. Already mentioned that. Funny you only mention them when WSU and Oregon State also have made similar deals. Why did you leave them out? Doesn't meet your idea of top programs? Helps support my statement that their travel was more regional interest than anything more? Again, you can get teams from nearby states to travel there, but it's a hard sell to get interest from teams much farther away. There simply isn't any real history in that stadium and nothing in the area to support interest in travel. There is no room for debate there. None.

And lol at going back and forth on your arguments. You want to talk about teams being afraid of a possible loss as a reason why they won't do h/h while claiming your team is still elite, yet mix the metaphor of being a next tier easy win type of game. Teams aren't afraid to go to Michigan, Ohio State, ND, etc yet they are scared out of their wits at the thought they could lose to Boise State. It's an insane argument. It has more to do with all of those places are easy to sell for fans to travel to.

I interpreted Oregon and Washington teams as schools from Oregon and Washington.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to agree, but mostly I’m feeling like Boise can go ahead and lick balls too. Obnoxious little turds.
TBH, they were worse when they were the top G5 and when that other BSU fan, something blues? was always blathering on about stupidity. Boise mike, boise4life, pitman, etc are all pretty stand up posters. Their fans travel well and aren't total jackasses although there was a particularly drunk older woman fan of theirs at that opening game of the upgraded stadium that was seriously amusing, yet still harmless.

It's really just a couple of their turds and every fan base has those.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I interpreted Oregon and Washington teams as schools from Oregon and Washington.
Fair enough. I just got out of the hospital and still hopped up on oxy and I've had a long history with smiles going back at least a decade from the old CBS board. I've been winding him up for a long ass time.