• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Harper: Legit Signing or Playbook debrief

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really liking what we have done this, year since SB loss with our WR core even given our loss of Crabby. Picking up Anquan Boldin , Moore, Jon-Baldwin. Patton and now Harper. Total remake of WR corps..kind of intriguing bunch with diverse body types. Hopefully they will now gel and get up to speed by midseason to make us invincible. I see this group going places and feel as optimistic as I have ever been in recent memory with respect to our WRs. Almost giddy right now:suds::laugh3:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbt-TwXKWU]Kansas State - WR - Chris Harper - YouTube[/ame]

People compared him to Boldin pre-draft

ran a 4.55 40 and has a strong lower body and can block. Inconsistent hands though

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Title of response was Harper pick up stands on its own merit.. should have stated:Cam Johnson trade not withstanding..ie Cam Johnson trade a different issue. So not trying to argue with you...just pointing out where we are still weak.(back up OT). Vertrone weak bubble.. not my bubble list... but the one from 49ers SBNation site. ST is important to a point but anyone making it solely as a ST player is a bubblelicious bubbleboy. :nod: The real question is who is on the strong bubble now :noidea: ie who is #53,#52,#51,#50. TBD for sure but who/where do we cut from if Crabby and Manny come back or if Carridine, Dial is RTG. :suds:

I think with the WRs were looking at how much development we've seen from Baldwin, and depending on Harper's progress Celek.

I don't see any of the OL being cut since we're only carrying 8 of them. I could see Wilhoite being cut as well.

With Carradine and Dial, I don't expect Dial to be added to the active roster. We won't get anything out of a late round pick who missed all of training camp, pre-season and OTAs plus the first half of the season. He will either get transferred to IR in week 11, or waived and put on the PS.

I think if Carradine is activated than it's Dobbs and Tukuafu on the block with the decision based on how each has performed to that point in the season.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree with most of your analysis there..WRs need development and Celek is Ok if his blocking gets better. He's just not that athletic from observation. Harper and Baldwin will certainly be "work in progress" but at least they have the triangle numbers to get optimistic about..ie IF the come around they will be a force to be dealt with. Really like the Baldwin trade just on the triangle #s alone. That and the fact that he has actually caught the ball as much as D. Walker the last 2 seasons. If he can hold on to the ball, man that would be a great development...size and decent speed. Harper has almost the size of Walker with perhaps similar to better speed. We all know Walker's hands were not the best. Hope Patton keeps up the good work and continues to progress..showing flashes as a #3. Celek..I was hoping Gray would be the choice there ..my logic..if a rookie is giving you a run for your money ..choose the rookie with upside over the perhaps more fundamentally sound blocker but less athletic. but not going to cry over spilled milk..we gambled on the PS and lost but moved quickly to secure a intriguing replacement in Harper...though not really a TE as much as a Hback-Wr hybred. Agree on Carridine/DE situation and likely roster moves there...where does coach H fit his boy Owen M in and where will he play?? who gets cut on this one? or does he go to the PS?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agree with most of your analysis there..WRs need development and Celek is Ok if his blocking gets better. He's just not that athletic from observation. Harper and Baldwin will certainly be "work in progress" but at least they have the triangle numbers to get optimistic about..ie IF the come around they will be a force to be dealt with. Really like the Baldwin trade just on the triangle #s alone. That and the fact that he has actually caught the ball as much as D. Walker the last 2 seasons. If he can hold on to the ball, man that would be a great development...size and decent speed. Harper has almost the size of Walker with perhaps similar to better speed. We all know Walker's hands were not the best. Hope Patton keeps up the good work and continues to progress..showing flashes as a #3. Celek..I was hoping Gray would be the choice there ..my logic..if a rookie is giving you a run for your money ..choose the rookie with upside over the perhaps more fundamentally sound blocker but less athletic. but not going to cry over spilled milk..we gambled on the PS and lost but moved quickly to secure a intriguing replacement in Harper...though not really a TE as much as a Hback-Wr hybred. Agree on Carridine/DE situation and likely roster moves there...where does coach H fit his boy Owen M in and where will he play?? who gets cut on this one? or does he go to the PS?

I think Harper is more of a Walker replacement than Gray would have been. Walker was also a WR in college.

I also don't think Marecic gets signed, so no cut is necessary.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Harper is more of a Walker replacement than Gray would have been. Walker was also a WR in college.

I also don't think Marecic gets signed, so no cut is necessary.

If he gets some training done with Brent Jones, it should help his hands!! Go 49ers!!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess the scouts missed Patton at Senior Bowl? :noidea:

That's what I don't get. He was the talk of Mobile that week. Virtually everyone who posted anything about the Senior Bowl raved about him, and there was talk of him even pushing for the first round. Then he just plummeted on draft day. It's early yet, but it looks like that may have been a bit of good luck for us.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd love it if Sea burned the 4th Rd pick partially to take him away from us. Kind of a stretch after we already grabbed McDonald in front of them in the 2nd, but you never really know. This guy can be used as a DW clone if he pans out.