• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN article by John Clayton

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minutes after the Seattle Seahawks lost a 30-28 decision to the Atlanta Falcons in last season's divisional playoffs, Seattle coach Pete Carroll walked into the locker room and made a statement.

"This is why we have to have home-field advantage," Carroll said.

The Seahawks earned just that after an impressive 13-3 regular season. Now they're set to host next Sunday's NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers in a renewal of the NFL's top rivalry. The coaches don't like each other. The players detest one another. It's only fitting that these teams will meet with a trip to the Super Bowl hanging in the balance.

The Seahawks are trying to become the first NFC No. 1 seed since the 2009 New Orleans Saints to advance to the Super Bowl. Those Saints are the only NFC team since 2006 to convert a top seed into Super Bowl tickets. Like the AFC in the early 2000s, an influx of top quarterbacks changed the way the NFC playoffs unfold.

Here are the 10 biggest questions heading into the NFC title game.

1. A break from high-flying passing games? Niners coach Jim Harbaugh and Carroll have re-established old-school football in what is a quarterback-driven, pass-happy league. The Seahawks ranked 26th in the NFL in passing yards with 202.3 yards per game. The 49ers ranked 30th with a 186.2-yard mark. If the 49ers advance, they will be in the Super Bowl with one of the weakest (statistically speaking) passing offenses in the Super Bowl era.

Neither coach cares. Harbaugh was able to get Kaepernick through 11 games without WR Michael Crabtree. Now Crabtree is back, and the 49ers can beat opponents through the air and on the ground. During the regular season, Kaepernick's average passing line was 15.18 completions in 26 attempts for 199.81 yards. Russell Wilson averaged 25.4 attempts with 16.06 completions for 209.8 yards. Both teams believe in balance.

2. How concerned is Carroll about the Seahawks' offense? The Seahawks don't run a fantasy-style offense. The plan is to have a balanced attack that is designed to win big games.

Still, the Seahawks need more from their offense if they are to advance. Over the past five games, including Saturday's divisional round win over New Orleans, Wilson has thrown for more than 200 yards only once. Receivers aren't getting good separation, Wilson hasn't been as sharp on slant passes, and he didn't spot some open receivers against the Saints.

"That's something I can fix," Wilson said of the missed slant passes. "I'm not worried about it. I'm looking forward to it next week."

The reason the Seahawks aren't panicked is the style of their offense. Carroll wants a conservative offense that doesn't commit turnovers. He feels that the defense and running game can win as long as the offense doesn't make game-changing mistakes.

3. What's San Francisco's recent history at CenturyLink? The 49ers lost a Week 16 game last year (42-13) and in Week 2 this season (29-3). Kaepernick was 32-of-64 for 371 yards and four interceptions in those two games.

"We are a different team than the first time we met them up there," Kaepernick said of the Week 2 loss. They are different. Crabtree was on injured reserve in Week 2.

But the Seahawks also are different. They didn't have their full complement of pass-rushers. Chris Clemons was inactive, recovering from ACL surgery, and outside linebacker Bruce Irvin was suspended. Starting cornerback Brandon Browner also was inactive.

Still, the 49ers come into this trip with great confidence. They have won eight in a row, including two road games in the playoffs.

4. What will the Seahawks do to contain Kaepernick? Kaepernick's running ability is among the scariest things in football, but the Seahawks know his tendencies. Kaepernick prefers running to his left. During his regular-season career, he's rushed for 539 yards along the left sideline compared to 274 to the right.

In the wild-card win over Green Bay, Kaepernick almost single-handedly beat the Packers by rushing to the left. First, the Packers' linebackers didn't have the speed to catch him. Second, the Packers didn't know his tendencies.

The Seahawks' defense has fast linebackers, who will work with Seattle's strong secondary to minimize the damage Kaepernick can cause on the ground. Unlike last year, when the 49ers generously used the read-option for Kaepernick, Harbaugh has tried to use him more out of the pocket. If receivers are covered, Kaepernick will run -- mostly to his left.

Stopping Kaepernick in the passing game will be tougher, mainly because he has Crabtree. In Week 2, Kaepernick had only Kyle Williams and Marlon Moore to complement Anquan Boldin. Both are no longer with the team. The Seahawks used man coverage to limit Boldin to one catch for 7 yards. Vernon Davis had three catches for 20 yards.

5. Will Harbaugh work an officiating angle for this game? No doubt. He always brings up complaints about how defensive backs get too aggressive with his pass-catchers. The Seahawks are the most aggressive defense in football. In Green Bay, Harbaugh complained about the Packers' defenders grabbing his receivers, forcing Kaepernick to run more than he wanted.

To Harbaugh's chagrin, officials have let the players play in the first eight playoff games. The Seahawks play an aggressive man-to-man defense that can draw flags, but so far, referees have called interference only six times in the first two rounds of the playoffs. There have been only two illegal contacts. But expect a few more flags because both teams will do a lot of extra things after plays. As mentioned, they don't like each other.

6. How important is Percy Harvin to the Seahawks' offense? It was apparent Saturday how much the Seahawks need him. Surprisingly, he is more valuable to the running game than the passing game. Harvin opened a second-quarter scoring drive with a 9-yard gain on a fly sweep, a college play in which he runs from the slot, takes a reverse and runs to the right side.

On the next play, Saints linebackers started sensing that Harvin might get a sweep and cheated over to his side. Wilson handed off to Marshawn Lynch, who took advantage of a vacant gap and ran 15 yards for a touchdown to give the Seahawks a 13-0 lead.

The Saints felt that Harvin was important. Defenders hit him on most plays whether he touched the ball or not.

"His speed is unbelievable, you notice that," Wilson said. "They were trying to find ways to stop him, and they were struggling with that." Harvin lasted only 19 plays. He had that 9-yard run and three catches for 21 yards. After two concussion tests in the first half, doctors wouldn't let him return to the field.

7. Why is this a tough matchup for the Seahawks? The one style of offense that gives the Seahawks problems is a run-oriented attack that uses two- and three-tight end sets. That's the 49ers' style. Passing teams struggle in CenturyLink.

On Saturday, Saints coach Sean Payton totally readjusted his offense to give the Seahawks' defense trouble, and it worked to a certain degree. Payton ran out of formations with extra blockers. The idea is to keep the game close until the fourth quarter. Although the Saints trailed 16-0 going into the fourth quarter, they got a touchdown and a two-point conversion to make it a one-possession game.

The 49ers use two- and three-tight end formations with the idea of being physical and keeping the score low. Expect them to work most of the game out of those formations. During the regular season, the 49ers averaged only 12.8 plays a game out of three-receiver sets. They averaged 27.8 plays a game with two or more tight ends and 15.8 out of two-back sets. Potentially down two fullbacks with injuries, the 49ers will probably use more tight ends.

8. Which wide receiver could be the key? Boldin might be the toughest matchup for Seattle. Crabtree and Davis might be more athletically talented than Boldin, who is a possession receiver who works well out of the slot. But the Seahawks have three Pro Bowl players in their secondary who could minimize Crabtree and Davis' effectiveness.

Boldin has savvy, and he's hot. He caught eight passes for 136 yards in Sunday's win over the Carolina Panthers. He's also having fun. Kaepernick's postgame news conference Sunday featured Boldin asking the first question: "Colin, why didn't you throw the ball to Anquan earlier?"

The Boldin trade from Baltimore has worked out extremely well. Boldin caught 85 passes for 1,179 yards during the regular season. He has 11 catches for 174 yards in two playoff games on a team that ranked 30th in passing yards. Not bad.

9. What's the injury situation? Harvin's concussion is the situation to follow. His injury is too early to call. Carroll said last week that linebacker K.J. Wright might be available. He's coming off foot surgery, but Malcolm Smith has played well for him at outside linebacker. Backup defensive tackle Jordan Hill missed the Saints game with a groin injury. Other than Harvin, the Seahawks didn't suffer any injuries in the Saturday's victory.

Niners cornerback Carlos Rogers hasn't practiced for two weeks because of a hamstring injury and has been inactive for two weeks. His replacement, Eric Wright, also has been slowed by a hamstring injury. He didn't play Sunday against the Panthers. The 49ers also could be down two fullbacks. Starting fullback Bruce Miller is on the injured reserve list. On Sunday, backup Will Tukuafu suffered a knee injury in the first quarter and didn't return.

10. Who will be in the Super Bowl? In what will clearly be a close, hard-fought game, the Seahawks will squeak out a victory and go to the Super Bowl. Crazy things happen at CenturyLink. There is no way the Seahawks will blow out San Francisco like they did in the last two meetings in Seattle, but they will pull out the game with a big play in the final four minutes.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10. Who will be in the Super Bowl? In what will clearly be a close, hard-fought game, the Seahawks will squeak out a victory and go to the Super Bowl. Crazy things happen at CenturyLink. There is no way the Seahawks will blow out San Francisco like they did in the last two meetings in Seattle, but they will pull out the game with a big play in the final four minutes.

I'm going to be a wreck anyway at game time, let alone the Hawks having to pull out the game with a late drive. :gaah:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Clayton's way of breaking down a game. Not many who are more involved in the minutia of every team than him. He is picking Seattle solely because it's at the clink which means he sees it like so many others that this is two fairly evenly matched teams going into it.

I know we have a few cocky fans who think this is a slam dunk and so does some of the SF base, but the vast majority of both teams fans are going to be on the edge of their seats until the last clock tick. Much more so than if this was Carolina coming in or if SF was facing say the Eagle or something. There is far more than the SB at stake even if that is the grand prize. You really want to go yourself, but really really don't want to see your rival go if you can't.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Clayton's way of breaking down a game. Not many who are more involved in the minutia of every team than him. He is picking Seattle solely because it's at the clink which means he sees it like so many others that this is two fairly evenly matched teams going into it.

I know we have a few cocky fans who think this is a slam dunk and so does some of the SF base, but the vast majority of both teams fans are going to be on the edge of their seats until the last clock tick. Much more so than if this was Carolina coming in or if SF was facing say the Eagle or something. There is far more than the SB at stake even if that is the grand prize.go if yo You really want to go yourself, but really really don't want to see your rival u can't.

:agree: This game is so important to win, can't have the 49ers coming to Seahawks home and win on the way to the Superbowl. Unacceptable!

I've feel like the Seahawks are the better team, but the 49ers are in full stride, while the Seahawks offense seems to be stumbling a bit. However I think we'll see the Seahawks come out jacked up. This is going to a physical game and I bet both teams have some surprises for each other. Something they have been saving for this match up.

Going to a long week, waiting for this game and watching it could make some of us a nervous wreck.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: This game is so important to win, can't have the 49ers coming to Seahawks home and win on the way to the Superbowl. Unacceptable!

I've feel like the Seahawks are the better team, but the 49ers are in full stride, while the Seahawks offense seems to be stumbling a bit. However I think we'll see the Seahawks come out jacked up. This is going to a physical game and I bet both teams have some surprises for each other. Something they have been saving for this match up.

Going to a long week, waiting for this game and watching it could make some of us a nervous wreck.

I'm sure fans from both sides will be. Seattle has HFA, but more pressure on them because of it and our fans should be feeling that. Just imagining Kaepernick celebrating on our field is enough to make me totally nauseous.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm one of the fans that are coming off as overconfident. I just can't help it. I've watched the niners through the playoffs and though the offense looks better, Kap still does all the same things that will burn him when he plays Seattle. And I think Lynch Is in prime form right now. I'm not overconfident about them naturally, just about this matchup. I foresee a decisive, double digit victory by our Seattle Seahawks.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm one of the fans that are coming off as overconfident. I just can't help it. I've watched the niners through the playoffs and though the offense looks better, Kap still does all the same things that will burn him when he plays Seattle. And I think Lynch Is in prime form right now. I'm not overconfident about them naturally, just about this matchup. I foresee a decisive, double digit victory by our Seattle Seahawks.

God I hope you are right, but I will be one of those that is ready to throw up I'll be so nervous and on edge for this game. Just too much on the line.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God I hope you are right, but I will be one of those that is ready to throw up I'll be so nervous and on edge for this game. Just too much on the line.

Oh yeah, Im nervous and I'll get that deep pit in my gut before the game. But really, I just can't logically see Kap exploit this defense enough to win.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, Im nervous and I'll get that deep pit in my gut before the game. But really, I just can't logically see Kap exploit this defense enough to win.

It came down to one missed play at SF. They have too many weapons to believe you can keep them at bay all day. They will have their explosive plays and make some scores. The question then is can we score enough and prevent enough of their explosive plays to come out on top. I like us because we are at home and I'll be betting at least the moneyline on us, but it could go either way.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like hearing your confidence Sonny. I find that reassuring. I sure hope your right, double digit victory would be awesome. I would literally be dancing around the house with joy if that happens!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure. Either the entire state will erupt into a one big party Sunday evening, or you probably want to stay home and not go near anyone as I can't imagine a more pissed off population.

I feel sorry for whichever AFC team that makes it. After this epic battle to get there our champion will be emotionally and physically challenged in a way theirs cannot be. Face either of our defenses and a confident but conservative offense in the SB and tell us what you think. NFC should be favored in that game.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure. Either the entire state will erupt into a one big party Sunday evening, or you probably want to stay home and not go near anyone as I can't imagine a more pissed off population.

I feel sorry for whichever AFC team that makes it. After this epic battle to get there our champion will be emotionally and physically challenged in a way theirs cannot be. Face either of our defenses and a confident but conservative offense in the SB and tell us what you think. NFC should be favored in that game.

:agree:
It's gonna be a pack of salty dogs moving on to the big one, whoever it is.

Hopefully healthy salty dogs if it's us.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure fans from both sides will be. Seattle has HFA, but more pressure on them because of it and our fans should be feeling that. Just imagining Kaepernick celebrating on our field is enough to make me totally nauseous.

I bet the players are on the same wave link as well. My tv will be off before I see Keap partying on our field.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no reason to believe the defense won't do enough to win. The Niners are averaging 12 points a game against the Seahawks over the last 4 meetings.

I am extremely concerned about the offense going out there and laying an egg. If they can't move the ball and end up giving SF a bunch of opportunities, they are going to eventually break a big play like the Frank Gore run during the last meeting. And obviously we know that sometimes one big play is all it takes.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am extremely concerned about the offense going out there and laying an egg. If they can't move the ball and end up giving SF a bunch of opportunities, they are going to eventually break a big play like the Frank Gore run during the last meeting. And obviously we know that sometimes one big play is all it takes.

This is my concern as well. If the offense can be just average I think we can win this game fairly comfortable, even if we have to settle for FG's, just have some long drives to keep the defense somewhat fresh throughout the game.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my concern as well. If the offense can be just average I think we can win this game fairly comfortable, even if we have to settle for FG's, just have some long drives to keep the defense somewhat fresh throughout the game.

We REALLY need Lynch to have a big game to take pressure off Wilson, burn the clock and rest the defense. Hawks ran well against the Saints on Saturday and ran well against the 49ers in SF. I am confident our defense will show up and play hard, keeping the game close, but we will need the offense to perform to win this game.

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the players are on the same wave link as well. My tv will be off before I see Keap partying on our field.

Mine will too. I will not watch that.

While I'm confident in the Hawks, I will admit I'm very nervous about this game and I know I'll be on the edge of my seat the entire game. Maybe even covering my eyes when we go to pass, peeking through my fingers like I used to do when I'd watch a horror flick.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know we have a few cocky fans who think this is a slam dunk and so does some of the SF base, but the vast majority of both teams fans are going to be on the edge of their seats until the last clock tick. Much more so than if this was Carolina coming in or if SF was facing say the Eagle or something. There is far more than the SB at stake even if that is the grand prize. You really want to go yourself, but really really don't want to see your rival go if you can't.

Clayton is one of the few guys in the national sports media I've got a lot of respect for. The guy seriously is a sports genius and the research/knowledge he has about the game is unparalleled.

I think it will be a close game. If I had to make a prediction it would be 16-9, Seahawks. Just don't let anyone on the NFL board know that.

I still do feel confident that the 49ers offense is a lot worse off than the Seahawks. Despite the love for Colin Kaepernick's performance the past two weeks, he has been mediocre. The Packers failed to capitalize on Kaepernick's mistakes by dropping 3 INTs and the Panthers also had at least one dropped INT.

Kaepernick is visibly shaken when he plays in Seattle. Until he can get past that I don't think the 49ers will win in Seattle unless the Seahawks hand him the game.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really believe this is one of the most important games in Seahawks history.

The winner of this game determines who gets to represent the NFC in the Superbowl. As 49ers fans like to remind us, we have no Superbowl victories. Nothing could be worse than losing the opportunity win a Superbowl to the 49ers.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine will too. I will not watch that.

While I'm confident in the Hawks, I will admit I'm very nervous about this game and I know I'll be on the edge of my seat the entire game. Maybe even covering my eyes when we go to pass, peeking through my fingers like I used to do when I'd watch a horror flick.

Our offense isn't that bad is it? I sure hope it isn't.