• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Harper: Legit Signing or Playbook debrief

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Seahawks fourth-rounder Chris Harper heading to 49ers | ProFootballTalk

I know we certainly need some solid depth and contribution from the Wide out position. But Seattle's wide receiving corps isn't exactly the Denver Broncos, so with them cutting him in the first raises a flag, and then for us to sign him? I personally think this move is more about intel and the rivalry than a diamond in the rough...I could be wrong

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked Harper as a prospect in the draft. I did not follow him at all this preseason, obviously he didn't look very good. I originally thought he could be our big strong WR once Boldin left in a year.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't watching for him in the preseason, but here are his stats in the preseason.

1st game: 1 reception, 8 yards, 1 target
2nd game: 1 reception, 8 yards, 2 targets
3rd game: 1 reception, 7 yards, 1 target
4th game: 1 reception 16 yards, 3 targets

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Seahawks fourth-rounder Chris Harper heading to 49ers | ProFootballTalk

I know we certainly need some solid depth and contribution from the Wide out position. But Seattle's wide receiving corps isn't exactly the Denver Broncos, so with them cutting him in the first raises a flag, and then for us to sign him? I personally think this move is more about intel and the rivalry than a diamond in the rough...I could be wrong

Legit @MaioccoCSN49ers finalizing trade of OLB Cam Johnson to Colts, likely to create space for WR Chris Harper off Seahawks p-squad. csnbayarea.com/49ers/source-4…

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they groom him for a Delanie Walker role.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legit @MaioccoCSN49ers finalizing trade of OLB Cam Johnson to Colts, likely to create space for WR Chris Harper off Seahawks p-squad. csnbayarea.com/49ers/source-4…

Done deal. @RapSheetNiners traded LB Cam Johnson, to make room for WR Chris Harper RT @Colts: #Colts make trade with #49ers. DETAILS: oak.ctx.ly/r/b5o6

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm seething. Throwing away team strength for conditional draft picks...grrr.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm seething. Throwing away team strength for conditional draft picks...grrr.

I liked Cam too, but this was kind of expected; either when one of Dobbs/Carradine/Manningham/Crabtree came back or if we signed another player (Harper).

Cam was going to always be on the bubble, mainly because very few teams ever carry 5 OLB's and 10 LB's overall. At the end of the day Stupar and Moody are better special teams players than Cam (And both are also on the bubble when others get healthy), and Cam wasn't passing Aldon, Brooks, or Lemonier on the depth chart to show his real value as a pass rusher, so his only contribution would come on special teams and every single backup LB we have is better than him at covering kicks. So what do we do, keep him on the bench the entire season and have his value go back to being 0? By trading him now after his big preseason game, we actually get something for him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Harper wasn't with the Seahawks long enough to really have a mastery over the playbook so I doubt it was a playbook debrief and more a legit move.

Heck considering it was only 5 picks before us picking Patton it could have been a case where Harper was higher on our board than Patton and Baalke was just grabbing a player he was interested in.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper wasn't with the Seahawks long enough to really have a mastery over the playbook so I doubt it was a playbook debrief and more a legit move.

Heck considering it was only 5 picks before us picking Patton it could have been a case where Harper was higher on our board than Patton and Baalke was just grabbing a player he was interested in.

Agreed, there is no way he was signed to our 53 for his knowledge of their playbook. Plus, how much would a rookie really be able to tell us? He was only with them for a few months.

I believe Celek is now on the bubble, because Harper might be making a full time switch to that H-back role. During the draft, I remember a lot of people thinking he would be a really good fit in our system to replace Walker.

I can see him starting the season being inactive on gamedays, and when Manningham comes back and if Harper develops quickly at TE, Celek will be let go to make room on the roster for Mario.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wait, Harper was a 4th round pick in THIS years draft??

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also keep in mind we lost MarQueis Gray who was going to be developed as an H-Back.

Odds are Harper is going to be our new H-Back developmental guy which makes this move seem even more legit.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Looks like everyone's Delanie Walker replacement/H-back predictions could be right. There was some chatter about that role for Harper before the draft as well.

Matt Barrows:

The #49ers are looking at Chris Harper not as a WR but as a TE, H-back in the Delanie Walker mold. He's 6-1, 235 pounds.

Matt Maiocco:

Delanie Walker was college WR when 49ers got him at (6-foot-1, 240 pounds); Chris Harper is same height and just 6 lbs lighter.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did he interview during the draft process (Pozz, Clyde)? I wonder where Baalke had him on his big board...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, there is no way he was signed to our 53 for his knowledge of their playbook. Plus, how much would a rookie really be able to tell us? He was only with them for a few months.

I now think this is a legitimate pickup because of their plans to move him to TE and previous interest, but is there a rule against giving us the playbook, with or without insights? Would they follow that rule when they are cut? Are the playbooks worth a lot less than insight because of reads, teachings, tendencies, or is it good enough just to have it because our NFL guys can read them? I mean, they might have procedures trying to prevent it, but they don't have a copy machine at home? (Or similar way for iPad playbooks.)

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not a bold statement, but I bet the 49ers hoped to develop Gray as an H-back on the practice squad. When he was claimed by Cleveland and Harper became available, they made their move.